Street Tire Stock Classes in Novice (*SK)

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Street Tire Stock Classes in Novice (*SK)

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Note: This message is a former Sticky Note and no longer applies to our region as of the 2013 season

This post is for those who wish to run street tires stock (SK1 or SK2) in Novice and assumes you understand SCCA classing. Street tires are classified as tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher. Other than tires, street tire stock class rules are the same as the National stock class rules. The class breakdown is as follows:

SSK Nov = Super Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK1)
ASK Nov = A-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK1)
BSK Nov = B-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK1)
FSK Nov = F-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK1)

CSK Nov = C-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK2)
DSK Nov = D-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK2)
ESK Nov = E-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK2)
GSK Nov = G-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK2)
HSK Nov = H-Stock, Street Tire, Novice (runs with SK2)

Novice class is an indexed class where a math handicap is applied to raw times to determine the winner. The handicap used is the PAX/RTP index located at http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp , which is based on results of the top drivers in the best prepared cars in the country from the previous SCCA Solo autocross season. Unlike bracket racing where your performance determines your handicap, the PAX/RTP index is a fixed number determined before the season starts.

The math formula for calculating your time in the Novice class is:

Final time = (Raw Time) * (Your car's PAX/RTP Index)

SK1 and SK2 are local stock classes that run on street tires of 140 treadwear or higher. These classes are offered in both CalClub and San Diego regions. For the Novice class, these are simplified to *SK, where the asterisk is any of the various stock classes from Super to H. If you are wondering why you would run in SK instead of regular stock Novice, it's due to the street tire multiplier of .98, which is outlined in the section on the SK* classes section in the CSCC Solo supplemental regulations on the Solo2.com site. Because of this extra multiplier, SK drivers have a slightly different math formula for determining their final time in Novice class.

The math formula for calculating your final time in SK in Novice is:

Final time = (Raw Time) * (.98) * (Your car's PAX/RTP Index)

Can you see how running in *SK can affect your final position in Novice class if you are running a stock vehicle on street tires? Using the above formula, your final time comes out to .5ths faster for every 30 seconds of lap time than if the .98 multiplier were not applied. For example, if you ran a 60-second raw time, your adjusted time after the multiplier is applied is 59 seconds before applying the PAX/RTP index. Multiply 59 seconds by your car's PAX/RTP index and you will get your final time in Novice class. If you are having trouble visualizing this, try using the following calculator: http://www.lcachola.com/2012_PAX_Calculator.html

If you have been running on street tires in stock class for Novice competition in 2012, you can have your class changed to *SK retroactively in previous results by contacting Rick Brown via PM and letting him know.

If you are running on R-Comps, then you run in your car's respective National open class (SS, AS, BS, CS... etc.) and only your raw time will have the PAX/RTP index applied.
Last edited by Leonard Cachola on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Street Tire Stock Classes in Novice (*SK)

Post by Rick Brown »

And yes, SSK through HSK are available on MotorsportReg.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Ryan Young
Club: CASOC
Car#: 510

Post by Ryan Young »

I have one question about registration on the motorsportreg site. If I want to run my car as DSK NOV (D-stock, Street Tire, Novice), which modifier should I choose - Novice or SK2? The only reason why I ask this is that it either throws me in the Novice bracket (with no street tire index) or SK2 (with no novice index). Thanks for any info!
Ryan Young
Solo Noob
#510 RTA, 2011 Subaru WRX
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Ryan Young wrote:I have one question about registration on the motorsportreg site. If I want to run my car as DSK NOV (D-stock, Street Tire, Novice), which modifier should I choose - Novice or SK2? The only reason why I ask this is that it either throws me in the Novice bracket (with no street tire index) or SK2 (with no novice index). Thanks for any info!
Fixed. Forgot that MSR requires that you not only add the classes, but activate for a particular event. You should be able to select DSK and NOV now.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...