Moving to Torrance next week

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Geoffrey Gaither

Moving to Torrance next week

Post by Geoffrey Gaither »

Hello All,
I'm moving from the Central KY region SCCA to Torrance next week and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Geoff Gaither and I owe a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am which I run in SM. It's very slow and currently on street tires. I plan to swap to EFI once I get settled into my new place and then save for slicks on larger wheels. Anyways, I'm looking forward to at least coming out to see some future events and eventually getting out on the course.

:P
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Re: Moving to Torrance next week

Post by Bill Schenker »

Welcome! But why come out to just watch??? Bring your car and run it! Sounds like our local class, CST (California Street Tire), would be a good fit for your car.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Welcome to the neighborhood. Am in Torrance too....
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Geoffrey Gaither

Unfortunately I'm positive the car will be in SM as it has an engine swap, transmission swap, rear swap, suspension changes among other things. Still not fast though. :lol:

I'm sure I'll have to make changes to make it legal to drive in CA (no catalytic converters now) but I hope to have it functioning properly and race ready by early September. Until then I'll just have to enjoy watching.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

CST is our local catch-all class. Think of it as SM on road tires (140 or higher tread wear).
So long as your car is safe to drive, it's probably legal.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Geoffrey Gaither wrote:Unfortunately I'm positive the car will be in SM as it has an engine swap, transmission swap, rear swap, suspension changes among other things. Still not fast though. :lol:

I'm sure I'll have to make changes to make it legal to drive in CA (no catalytic converters now) but I hope to have it functioning properly and race ready by early September. Until then I'll just have to enjoy watching.
CST (& CSM) are both anything goes classes as long as it's theoretically capable of being licensed on the street. CST is tire wear of 140 or higher, CSM is any street legal tire.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Geoffrey Gaither

Ah, I see. I had no idea the classifications were this diverse, region to region. Once I get settled and make the necessary modifications to pass emissions (and am comfortable getting to the events i.e. no break-down potential) I'll be out there! 8-)
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Geoffrey Gaither wrote:...and make the necessary modifications to pass emissions...
"Emissions? Emissions?! We don't worry about no stinking emissions!"
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

"Potential breakdown" You want to get AAA PREMIUM membership which includes a free 200 mile and a number of 100 mile tows. You can ask for a flat bed. Money very well spent!
Geoffrey Gaither

So, with long anticipation I took receipt of my 1979 Trans Am off of the car hauler this past Thursday only to find that the radio had been stolen somewhere in Missouri on it's way from KY. The damage thankfully was limited to the stolen head unit as it was basically jerked out and the butt connectors let loose. My insurance claim is written and awaiting an adjuster to come take a look.

On a more serious note I may need some help getting my car legal in the state of California. Right now I know of several aftermarket items that won't pass C.A.R.B. regulations including my choice in camshaft. Can anyone offer a shop or their services to help me prepare this car for inspection? I was planning on adding catalytic converters and a self-tuning EZ EFI system in hopes that I could pass the emissions regulations of 1979 despite equipment that might not otherwise pass. Any advice, help or constructive feedback would be seriously appreciated. I'm faced with letting it sit in the garage with out-of-state registration and tags until it gets cleared and I know we'd all rather see it on an autocross course instead.

Thanks in advance.
I'm located on W.235th in Torrance if that helps.

Regards,
Geoff Gaither
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Geoffrey Gaither wrote:Any advice, help or constructive feedback would be seriously appreciated. I'm faced with letting it sit in the garage with out-of-state registration and tags until it gets cleared and I know we'd all rather see it on an autocross course instead.
Thanks in advance.
Geoff Gaither
Why does it have to stay in the garage? Do you have a CA license already? (You don't want to mix a CA License and an out of state car in same name. This could create problems with some officers)

Best advice, at least as far as smog goes, keep it registered with a family member in KY.

Craig
P.S. Welcome to CA.