What tools should i take to events

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

orlando castillo

What tools should i take to events

Post by orlando castillo »

Hi im new to autocross. I have some tolls already but i dont know if i need anything else.

everything needed to change tires and jack stands
something to pump water to tires (Got this because I saw others using it. when should i use it and how much water shuld i use?)
air compresor (kind that u put air into, max 125psi)

Also what does paxed times mean? ive been to one event and dont get what im seeing here:

Pax Pos. Class # Driver Car Model Team Total Factor Pax Time Diff. From 1st
188 NOVCSM 615 Orlando Castillo Civic SI none 71.917 *0.879000 63.215 0.216 15.391

EDIT: Forgot to ask. how long can i run novice for? (i have not purchased a points card) and can i pre register online for sunday events without numbers or do i have to buy points card first inorder to pre register
Last edited by orlando castillo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: What tools should i take to events

Post by Rick Brown »

orlando castillo wrote:Hi im new to autocross. I have some tolls already but i dont know if i need anything else.

something to pump water to tires (Got this because I saw others using it. when should i use it and how much water shuld i use?)
Only need this if you have tires that don't handle heat well. Only applies to certain brands. Talk to others in your class.
air compresor (kind that u put air into, max 125psi)

Also what does paxed times mean? ive been to one event and dont get what im seeing here:

Pax Pos. Class # Driver Car Model Team Total Factor Pax Time Diff. From 1st
188 NOVCSM 615 Orlando Castillo Civic SI none 71.917 *0.879000 63.215 0.216 15.391
PAX is a number that your time is multiplied by ("Factor" above) to even out all times compared to each other. Details here: http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2012.html
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

If you change tires, you need to have a torque wrench and know the torque spec for your lug size.

If you're changing tires a lot use a little antiseize on the lug threads to help prevent galling. Do not over-tighten.

Get a good air pressure guage. Put your name on it.

Put your name on everything!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Rick Brown wrote:
orlando castillo wrote:Hi im new to autocross. I have some tolls already but i dont know if i need anything else.

Only need this if you have tires that don't handle heat well. Only applies to certain brands. Talk to others in your class.
Also only applies if your going to be agressive enought to actually heat your tires. As a novice, you won't be for several events.

Are you planning on changing tires? If your bring tire changing stuff just in case, I wouldn't bother. It's more stuff to haul, unpack, leave out, repack and haul. If you do have a 1 in 100 problem that you need to pull a wheel you'll readly find tools to borrow.

Jay W
orlando castillo

Post by orlando castillo »

just in case no one reads the EDIT
Forgot to ask. how long can i run novice for? (i have not purchased a points card) and can i pre register online for sunday events without numbers or do i have to buy points card first inorder to pre register
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hi Orlando,
orlando castillo wrote:Forgot to ask. how long can i run novice for?
1st calender year, you can run as Novice until the Nov. event
orlando castillo wrote: (i have not purchased a points card)
You need a points card to earn points. Other wise the "novice" label really doesn't matter, as your lack of points won't matter.
orlando castillo wrote: and can i pre register online for sunday events without numbers or do i have to buy points card first inorder to pre register
I'll let Rick answer this one. I don't know the particulars of what online reg will allow you to do without a points card.
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

And if you need numbers and class letters look up Jay, he does quality work for low prices.

http://www.jaycomvinyl.com/
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Craig Naylor wrote:Hi Orlando,
orlando castillo wrote: and can i pre register online for sunday events without numbers or do i have to buy points card first inorder to pre register
I'll let Rick answer this one. I don't know the particulars of what online reg will allow you to do without a points card.
No points card needed to pre-register online and you still get the $10 discount. Just have to pick a 600 series number (which may be changed when you check in at the event).
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...