Howdy....from the Midwest

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Bill Cook
Car#: 86

Howdy....from the Midwest

Post by Bill Cook »

Well, I might be coming to SoCal with my wife For Work... (Ceder Sanai Hospital) and if it develops, I am very much looking forward to running Solo With the Famous/In-Famous Cal Club. Current Region is Milwaukee that also has some Decent talent. A little history...Been into Solo about 12 years now..starting with my 2000 Subaru RS in Hawaii. (Retired Navy) moved to NC to run there in Central Carolina Region...then moved to Jacksonville Fl, where I ran in the Buccaneer...Like I say..Currently in the Milwaukee Region. I am currently doing a National level STX Build on my Subaru BRZ.

Anyways...thanks to Mako for suggesting I get to know the locals..;)

Bill
Any ole' fool can go fast in a straight line. ;)
STX 86/186 depending on who I choose to co-drive for the day...;)
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: Howdy....from the Midwest

Post by Max Hayter »

Holy bollocks!!!

When are you thinking of moving, Bill?

:thumbup:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Hey Max... right now its in negotiation so nothing is in stone. it could be as early as next month.. we'll see. Besides ..you need some competition. :) ..HA..trying to do some homework on some place close to the hospital..thats not going to break the bank, Safe, and has a minimal commute.. :)

Bill
Last edited by Bill Cook on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I try not to leave Orange County, so I can't help you with location ideas.

Anyway, it would be great to have you here - you'll love the AX locations we have.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

No worries...I have lots of family/Friends in OC and Riverside so I understand.. Rents live in Tustin Ranch, Sister in Riverside and friends ALL over SOCAL..;)...If it does develop, it is a long time goal of mine to run with ALL prominent Clubs that makes champions..;) :D

Bill
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

You'd be a great addition to the region Bill.

Cedars-Sinai is an outstanding institution. But living nearby is rough. Nice areas are uber expensive, affordable places can be very sketchy. There are reasonable alternatives in nearly every direction from there, but the traffic is HELL. You may want to check with staff there to see what neighborhoods people live in. Lot of decent apartment options nearby, but houses with nice garages, argh.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Coe
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

Make sure to drop down to San Diego and say Hi.

http://sdr-scca.com/solo2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Coe
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You'd be a great addition to the region Bill.

Cedars-Sinai is an outstanding institution. But living nearby is rough. Nice areas are uber expensive, affordable places can be very sketchy. There are reasonable alternatives in nearly every direction from there, but the traffic is HELL. You may want to check with staff there to see what neighborhoods people live in. Lot of decent apartment options nearby, but houses with nice garages, argh.
Thanks for the Welcome...and yep, already experiencing that of which you speak. :/ *sigh*
Steve Coe wrote:Make sure to drop down to San Diego and say Hi.

http://sdr-scca.com/solo2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Coe
Thanks Steve...Will do ...let me make sure this is a go before I get 'tooo' spread out..;)
look forward to that as well...it seems that I could almost run every weekend..."somewhere" ..:)

Bill
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

seems that I could almost run every weekend..."somewhere"
Yup, between San Diego and us, and BMW and Porsche Club ... a lot of folks run almost every weekend. I once did 99 runs in one month.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Bill Cook wrote:Well, I might be coming to SoCal with my wife For Work... (Ceder Sanai Hospital) and if it develops, I am very much looking forward to running Solo With the Famous/In-Famous Cal Club. Current Region is Milwaukee that also has some Decent talent. A little history...Been into Solo about 12 years now..starting with my 2000 Subaru RS in Hawaii. (Retired Navy) moved to NC to run there in Central Carolina Region...then moved to Jacksonville Fl, where I ran in the Buccaneer...Like I say..Currently in the Milwaukee Region. I am currently doing a National level STX Build on my Subaru BRZ.

Anyways...thanks to Mako for suggesting I get to know the locals..;)

Bill
Nice car. We have a few of those starting to run out here, but not as yet serious National level cars. I hope it works out for you to come this way. And I'm sure you are aware that Cedars is essentially Beverly Hills vicinity...so bring money...or gold ingots.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Steve Coe

Post by Steve Coe »

Just to let you know PAX out here is brutal, Overheard at a recent event.

How you do?'
I beat 3 National champs!
Really, where did you finish?

7th out of 10...

Steve
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Thanks Ed. :)...Hopefully that is not going to be a deal breaker with income vs. Cost of living there....that would not be good.. :| ..and not defeat the purpose of trying to get there in the first place.

Steve: I know...I have a couple of friends down there as Well. Namely a certain ESP WRX friend of mine..;)

Bill
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Great...It's bad enough I am subjected to your incomprehensible posts on NASIOC, now here too? :x

Just kidding man, you are welcome here of course. :thumbup:
Steve Coe

Post by Steve Coe »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Great...It's bad enough I am subjected to your incomprehensible posts on NASIOC, now here too? :x

Just kidding man, you are welcome here of course. :thumbup:
and the FT86 forums :)
Justin Tsang
Car#: 88

Post by Justin Tsang »

Darn cheater car :D

Hope you move to SoCal, will see you when I come down for El Toro events.
FSP 88 Mazda 3
STX 88 v1 Mazdaspeed 3, v2 E36, v3 BRZ, v4 WRX?
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

DOH.... :/ Sorry for my Banter then, Sebastion and Steve, LOL I am trying to be better at it, I swear

Bill
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Justin Tsang wrote:Darn cheater car :D

Hope you move to SoCal, will see you when I come down for El Toro events.
Woah woah woah. By 'who's" Standards . ;)

Bill
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Welcome Bill !!!

When do you move in ...
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bill Cook wrote:..HA..trying to do some homework on some place close to the hospital..thats not going to break the bank, Safe, and has a minimal commute.. :) Bill
Welcome to Hell, I mean traffic, I mean L.A.

Of your three want's above...
If renting: you can probably choose two of your three.
If purchasing: you can probably choose two of your three as long as your two are not the first and last listed.

So far as a minimal commute... unless your in walking distance of the hospital, your going to learn that minimal commute means something different in LA than just about anywhere else in the country. The hospital though minimally in miles, is 20-30 minutes from any freeway at anytime other than the dead of night. It's not well located for a commute. All of the major streets are gridlock nightmares. You will learn to take side streets, and stay off of the main drags (no pun intended due to proximity to W. Hollywood).

If purchasing, something located off of CA 2 is a relatively easy commute over the Los Felis hill. There are many communities I would live in without kids, kids would make the search much more difficult. LA is funny, you can be in a BAD! neighborhood, and drive a few blocks and be in a deceit one. You can also have the same house double in price just 2 blocks away for the same reason.

If you have kids, look at some of the San Gabriel Valley Cities / neighborhoods. Drive may be an hour+ in normal traffic, but your not in the LA Unified school district.

Commute case in point. Though I mostly work out of state, when I do have to travel from my house (Arcadia) to the offices in Marina Del Rey, it's 39 miles. If I leave before 6:30am, it's an easy 45 min drive. If I leave between 6:30 and 6:45, it's between a 1 to 1 1/2 hr drive. If I leave after 6:45 but before 8:00am it's 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hrs, with no rhyme or reason as to the hour difference. If I leave after 10:00am it's back to a 45min - 1 hr drive. When I go in, I typically have to be there at 9:00. I can leave moments before 6:30 and be there 1 hr 45 min early, or leave 15 min later and be anywhere from 45 min early to 15 min late. Ergo my 1st comment above.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

He's already got a place
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Hello....:)
Thanks for All the Support. My wife is actually the one that will be working for Cedars, We have secured Residence in Los Angeles. She has a 1.2 mile commute to her work on Wilshire. So now trying to get all the logistics completed. Life is good, as I can't complain, especially with all the great folks, providing us info along the way. Thank you
Very much. Next Step is to try and run an event or 2 with you guys. Anyone needing a co-drive??? :). Again Thanks for the support and look forward to meeting you guys in person. :)

Bill