Hello from the 818

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jay Tingzon
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 514

Hello from the 818

Post by Jay Tingzon »

Good afternoon everyone.

A few of you may remember me from this past weekend event at Fontana. I was the newbie in the red TSX. :mrgreen: That was my first event ever and thank you all for making it such an amazing weekend experience. Needless to say, I now got the autoX bug, so I figured it would be worthwhile to introduce myself on here!

My normal autoX car will NOT be that Acura however.
The car I will be using from here on out will be a Nissan 240sx hatchback. (Pictures will be added later)
Off the top of my head, it's got a stock KA, Megan exhaust, tein springs, tokico blues, and a 5 lug conversion with unknown 17s wrapped with 215/45/17 in front and 225/45/17 in back.
I still need to figure out what class this car would run in...

Anyways hope to meet you all out there on track! I plan on going to the event at the end of November.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: Hello from the 818

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Welcome Jay!

The exhaust is a catback? Catbacks are legal every where.

The 5 lug conversion is one that troubles me. I know its not really performance and makes things arguably safer, its just under our rules we need allowances for any mod. Help me out guys. Other than Street Mod, where could you get an allowance for a 5 lug conversion?

If not for that one mod, I'd say STC as long as the wheels were no wider than 7.5".

The rulebook is here:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... es_May.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are STC then read the stock rules starting on page 71 then continue on to Street Touring. All allowances from both are legal in ST classes.
If you are SM then read stock class rules, followed by Street Prepared Rules then read Street Modified Rules.
Its confusing at first ask questions. I just hope somebody can give you an intelligent answer on 5 lug conversions.

Locally you'd be just fine in CST (California Street Touring).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

CST is a great Run What You Brung class ... car just has to be CA street legal, and running on 140 wear or higher street tires (right?). It's often the biggest local class with great competition ... and good luck trying to beat that "little girl" in her Civic! ;)
Jay Tingzon
Car#: 514

Post by Jay Tingzon »

Thanks for the help and advice guys! I guess I better get to studying that rule book. If I don't find my proper class I guess I'll be running in CST, but I dunno if I'll be able to beat that civic. XD
my times may just end up being slower in the 240 than my TSX cause I've never ran it hard before. I'd basically be startin over from square one.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Welcome to Auto Cross - prepping, it never ends