hello new to Los Angels

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

silvio zucchet

hello new to Los Angels

Post by silvio zucchet »

hello,
my name is silvio
I'm new to los angeles scca, i have a few questions. I have been auto x for about 3 years in Sacramento and Reno regions. i usually drive a bsp Subaru sti (i believe is asp now) I ran my car at 1 auto x this year and i spun a bearing (still in the rebuilding proses but that's another story). i just acquired a 94 miata and i want to use it for auto x instead of the Subaru. I dont want to run in stock class but i don't want to run in a crazy moded class, what would be a good class for me? is there like a st class that i can run street tire for 94 miata? please point me in the right direction and i hope to meet you all next season :)

edit: i just saw the class question thread. in my defense i have read the rule book and I'm wondering on local classes and don't know if you guy have a street tire class
Last edited by silvio zucchet on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
smooth is fast
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Re: hello new to Los Angels

Post by Q V »

STS is your class.

check SCCA.com's rule book for full details.

Welcome to So Cal.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Or if the car is stock and you're just trying to keep tire costs down you can run in RTR (Road Tire RWD), which is now the national standard "street tire stock" class. All the rules of stock class with a minimum 140 treadwear limit.
Nic Sanchez
Club: No$
Car#: 67

Post by Nic Sanchez »

Hey Silvio,

Currently in ES we are running on street tires, gentlemen agreement., and I believe we will continue in 2013.

Nic
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Nic Sanchez wrote:Hey Silvio,

Currently in ES we are running on street tires, gentlemen agreement., and I believe we will continue in 2013.

Nic
Ah yes, Senor Sanchez, you are learning the ways of the master.
Silvio: You will be welcome in ES locally on street tires. Unless of course you are FAST. ;)
Seriously, we have a blast and had as many as 9 entries at certain events this year due to an informal agreement to save money by running on street tires. And this past Sunday, we were all within 1.5 seconds of each other, with the top 3 cars swapping 1st place positions between runs.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Ed Holley wrote: Seriously, we have a blast and had as many as 9 entries at certain events this year due to an informal agreement to save money by running on street tires.
:roll:

Or you can just run in the class that has a formal agreement to save money by running on street tires, namely RTR...
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jeff Stuart wrote:Or you can just run in the class that has a formal agreement to save money by running on street tires, namely RTR...
Well, I guess Silvio has at least a couple of choices. Isn't that great?
2001 NB Miata
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Now boys...

He says he doesn't want to run stock, but he doesn't want to go crazy with the mods. STS is the perfect place for a slightly modified NA Miata.

Silvio: In STS you can do power stuff like intake, exhaust, computer, and suspension stuff like swaybars, springs, and shocks. All of those can make the car more fun on the street, and more capable at autocross.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And our STS Champ is looking for a co-driver in his very prepped, ex Henitz STS Miata: Pete Loney
Jimmy Duong
Car#: 820

Post by Jimmy Duong »

Is there a "gentlemens agreement" in STS currently which allows torsens in the Miatas? Because if that's the case, STS is where I might want to be next year also. Sorry to thread jack Silvio.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No, although we made an exception this last Sunday with Bob B. running his Miata in STS
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Jimmy Duong wrote:Is there a "gentlemens agreement" in STS currently which allows torsens in the Miatas? Because if that's the case, STS is where I might want to be next year also. Sorry to thread jack Silvio.
I may consider this. That won't fly for National/Regional events in the area of course.
Mike Kaz... Is in your same boat Silvio, has torsen(in his NA) comtemplating swapping it for non torsen to play in STS.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Pete Loney wrote:
Jimmy Duong wrote:Is there a "gentlemens agreement" in STS currently which allows torsens in the Miatas? Because if that's the case, STS is where I might want to be next year also. Sorry to thread jack Silvio.
I may consider this. That won't fly for National/Regional events in the area of course.
Mike Kaz... Is in your same boat Silvio, has torsen(in his NA) comtemplating swapping it for non torsen to play in STS.
Welcome Silvio, come play in STS. It was a pretty small class for most of the year but we're getting a few more competitors so it should be fun for next year.
~Lily
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

thanks for all the positive replies,
I don't know if I have a torsen but i have a feeling that i do it has that feel to it going around tight corners :( . I think i might just go the ES route, sound like you guys are having a lot of fun and being able to run street tire really makes it worth keeping the miata stock :) .
I'm defenatly looking forward to meeting and racing with all of you
Thanks,
silvio zucchet
smooth is fast
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

silvio zucchet wrote:I don't know if I have a torsen but ...
I think most of the '94s do. The research is very sketchy, but I have found some sources that said all but the absolute base model of the '94 has a torsen. If you have power mirrors, you don't have a base model.

Jay W
silvio zucchet

Post by silvio zucchet »

i called Mazda today and gave them my Vin and they said i did have a torsen. E Stock it is then, this winter i will be making the Miata auto x ready (I will probably have a lot of questions on setup since I'm new to the Miata world). I will be renewing my SCCA membership with cal club region, I'm curios on how do i make a decision on witch club to be with? is it depending on where i live or just preference?
Again thanks for all the help so far,
Silvio Zucchet
smooth is fast
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Club ? ... partially age and whether you have a Corvette (GRA) or are Nationally Competitive (CASOC, PSCC). SCNAX is your Party Club ... paddock together, Go Karting events ... :D ... if there is someone that you feel "sponsored" your entry into AX, perhaps go with that person's club ... or ... keep asking for (unbiased) suggestions. ;)
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do the E Stock folks think they will be at a disadvantage when it comes time to run RTR at the National Tour in San Diego or our ProSolo at El Toro?
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Do the E Stock folks think they will be at a disadvantage when it comes time to run RTR at the National Tour in San Diego or our ProSolo at El Toro?
Not sure what you mean exactly. For me personally, IF I run Tour or Pro, I'll be in ES on R-Comps. Just like I am when I run in San Diego region. This will probably put me in a Bump class, but that's fine with me.
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Club ? ... partially age and whether you have a Corvette (GRA) or are Nationally Competitive (CASOC, PSCC). SCNAX is your Party Club ... paddock together, Go Karting events ... :D
I'm certainly not "Nationally Competitive", but I'm in CASOC. Maybe they looked the other way. ;)
2001 NB Miata
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

If you are going to run ES at the National events ... you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage not practicing on R's. There is no way you can take advantage of an R tire without practicing on it. Why not run RTR on the street tires that you're comfortable and fast with at the National events ?
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mako Koiwai wrote:If you are going to run ES at the National events ... you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage not practicing on R's. There is no way you can take advantage of an R tire without practicing on it. Why not run RTR on the street tires that you're comfortable and fast with at the National events ?
I agree that you cannot have too much practice on ANY tire. My "R" practice this year was the result of running in the San Diego region where they run ONLY R-Comps. ES is my class of choice as long as I'm driving an NA Miata. RTR is attractive to me only if I'm in a CS car, as in "Solstice". :D
2001 NB Miata
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Just as a side comment:

An E-stock Miata came in 3rd out of 36 in RTR at Nationals this year.
Jimmy Duong
Car#: 820

Post by Jimmy Duong »

Davin Swanson wrote:Just as a side comment:

An E-stock Miata came in 3rd out of 36 in RTR at Nationals this year.
Although I do believe they were on the 96 M edition on 15" Toyos that are now banned. Other than that single NA, it doesn't look like any other NA dared try to compete in RTR, according to the results.

On a side note, any club looking for a new member? Meaning myself. Plan to run all of next season in Novice if that makes any difference. I'm still jacking Silvio's thread, lol.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Club ? ... partially age and whether you have a Corvette (GRA) or are Nationally Competitive (CASOC, PSCC). SCNAX is your Party Club ... paddock together, Go Karting events ... :D ... if there is someone that you feel "sponsored" your entry into AX, perhaps go with that person's club ... or ... keep asking for (unbiased) suggestions. ;)
For your first year with us you can also chose "None" for your club. That gives you a chance to get to know people and see which you would like to join. You don't have to wait until the end of the year to choose.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...