New to the Area

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Joshua Mcguigan

New to the Area

Post by Joshua Mcguigan »

Hello, I just moved to the LA area. I have autocrossed a few times in the past with a group not affiliated with the SCCA. I would like to come out to autocross but I really don't plan on being competitive so I was wondering if it was possible to only come out to run at a practice event without registering for a competition event? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Josh
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: New to the Area

Post by Rick Brown »

Joshua Mcguigan wrote:Hello, I just moved to the LA area. I have autocrossed a few times in the past with a group not affiliated with the SCCA. I would like to come out to autocross but I really don't plan on being competitive so I was wondering if it was possible to only come out to run at a practice event without registering for a competition event? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

Josh
It is possible, but often difficult to get in as demand is regularly greater than supply. Many practices have a priority list and you would unfortunately be at the bottom of that. That being said, just watch the site for the announcement of the events (posted on motorsportreg.com also) and follow the directions to submit your registration.

Welcome to CSCC Solo!
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Joshua Mcguigan wrote:Hello, I just moved to the LA area. I have autocrossed a few times in the past with a group not affiliated with the SCCA. I would like to come out to autocross but I really don't plan on being competitive so I was wondering if it was possible to only come out to run at a practice event without registering for a competition event? How would I go about doing this?
Although our Sunday events are variously referred to as "championships" or "points" events, we have lots of people show up with a wide array of experience levels. There is typically a solid collection of first-timers and novices on Sundays, and we have an excellent Novice Coordinator who does course walks, organizes instructor ride-alongs and will answer any questions you have. The participants range from national-level drivers to rank newbies to experienced folks who don't care about the competition and just want to have fun driving their cars.

Don't let the "competition" events put you off, they're open to all!
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And with X-Runs you can get eight runs on Sundays, w/o having to work a 2nd shift
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And a Message Board tip. Make Active Topics your CSCC Bookmark. You can quickly get to our Solo2 Home/Info page by clicking the CSCC SOLO logo top left of the Message Board page
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

And just to add to what Davin and Mako said, you can participate on Sundays without competing in a class by running in the non-competitive "Time Only" class.