My first time...

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Cassidy Eastwood

My first time...

Post by Cassidy Eastwood »

Hello all,

Go easy on me I am super new to autocross. My car is a 2013 Scion FRS with an axleback. All else is stock. I have a few questions to firm up before the El Toro run this weekend.

1. I registered as as a "Road Tire 2wd". Is this the appropriate class for my car? The class looks pretty bloated and difficult. Not complaining, but I'm paired with a 2012 Boss mustang???

2. Can I use blue painters tape for my numbers and class letters? If not, any cheap options out there? AC vent covers, etc?

3. My number is 11. So... 11 RT2?

Let me know and any pointers would be fabulous. Thanks -

Cassidy
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: My first time...

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Hi Cassidy! Welcome. You picked a great event to start auto crossing. You might want to sign up for the Evo School Hole Shot to familiarize yourself with the ProSolo format and get some practice starts on the tree. Go to http://www.evoschool.com/index.php?page ... el-toro-ca to sign up.
Cassidy Eastwood wrote:1. I registered as as a "Road Tire 2wd". Is this the appropriate class for my car? The class looks pretty bloated and difficult. Not complaining, but I'm paired with a 2012 Boss mustang???
That's the correct class. You're right there are a ton of people in the class (I think it's the best subscribed). We run on indexes, so even though you're running agains a Boss 302, the timing will be corrected to compensate for the performance difference between cars. There are some excellent drivers in the class this time, though, so don't expect too much your first time :D
Cassidy Eastwood wrote:2. Can I use blue painters tape for my numbers and class letters? If not, any cheap options out there? AC vent covers, etc?
Yes, painters tape is okay, but please make sure your class and numbers are easily read by course workers as you speed by them (e.g. big, easily read numbers that contrast with your paint color). If you decide to do this on a regular basis, you'll probably want to get vinyl or magnetic numbers. We have a couple people who make them in our region. PM me and I can give you contact info.
Cassidy Eastwood wrote:3. My number is 11. So... 11 RT2?
Yup, that's the ticket.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Cassidy Eastwood

Kurt,

Thank you so much for clarifying :)

When is the Evoschool (Friday??) Am I too late and/or will it conflict with the actual event this weekend?

I have alot of drag racing experience and raced both Karts and Motocross hare and hound scrambles when I was younger. Is it something I wouldn't be able to pickup on the fly?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:Kurt,

When is the Evoschool (Friday??) Am I too late and/or will it conflict with the actual event this weekend?

I have alot of drag racing experience and raced both Karts and Motocross hare and hound scrambles when I was younger. Is it something I wouldn't be able to pickup on the fly?
Link to Evo Hole Shot: http://www.evoschool.com/index.php?page ... el-toro-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It runs from 1:30 to 3:30.

There is also just practice starts from 3:00 to 6:00 which you buy tickets for. Might be all you need with drag experience, the lights come down very slow compared to drag racing.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Rick Brown wrote:
Cassidy Eastwood wrote:Kurt,

Link to Evo Hole Shot: http://www.evoschool.com/index.php?page ... el-toro-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It runs from 1:30 to 3:30.

There is also just practice starts from 3:00 to 6:00 which you buy tickets for. Might be all you need with drag experience, the lights come down very slow compared to drag racing.
They use a .5 second segment on the lights instead of a .4 second pro tree segment. IIRC, most drag classes use .5, but it has been a really long time since I've looked.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'd take an FRS over a Mustang any day of the week! This ain't drag racing! ;)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Unless you've been running pro tree brackets, the Christmas tree is the same. We use a standard Sportsman .500 three amber tree.

However.... Its not an established drag strip so its nice to have practice starts to make sure the lanes are consistent side to side and the rollout isn't wonky (distance to trigger start). Also sometimes the start isn't flat so its nice to know if the car will roll out of the lights.

Introduce your self to everybody and spend the welcome part talking about the event. You'll drive a heat and work a heat. Make sure you watch some on your rest heats. When you get to the event site figure out what FM radio station we're using so you can listen for announcements.

Pro Solo is a blast. But it is a fast moving chaotic weekend.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

OK, having never done or even been to a drag race, all I've seen is some on TV or YouTube and I swear it looks like the yellow lights all come on almost instantly.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

On a Pro Tree (Top Fuel, FC, Pro Stock, Pro Stock Bike, Pro Mod), all three ambers light at once, then .400 seconds to the green.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Cassidy Eastwood

Thanks again for all the info. You guys are extremely responsive and friendly.

I will definetly get in on the practice runs to get the timing and traction down. These frs' s take a little finesse for a decent launch anyhow. My stroked 67 chevelle was a little less tricky, lol.

Regardless, cant wait to meet you guys. Ill be in the white frs falsestarting and or dnf'ing on the regular.

Cheers!
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

And remember you have to enter to have a chance to get into the Bonus Chalkenge on Sunday. I'm not sure if you can only sign up Sunday morning?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I like to visualize this for Pro Solo launches...

Uncle Bob at OCIR circa 1972
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Cassidy Eastwood

While on the topic. Will there be any loaner helmets available for this weekend? Or does anyone have one I can rent from them? Sold off my last one during my move :(
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:While on the topic. Will there be any loaner helmets available for this weekend? Or does anyone have one I can rent from them? Sold off my last one during my move :(
If I were you, I'd start shopping for a helmet. We normally have loaners, but our CTV, where the loaner helmets are stored, may not be available this weekend.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:While on the topic. Will there be any loaner helmets available for this weekend? Or does anyone have one I can rent from them? Sold off my last one during my move :(
I don't know how big your head is, but I have an extra I'll bring.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Cassidy Eastwood

A loaner of any sort would be awesome.I can squeeze into a medium but usually run a large.

Does anyone sell new ones at these events? I may just purchase one that day if available.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:A loaner of any sort would be awesome.I can squeeze into a medium but usually run a large.

Does anyone sell new ones at these events? I may just purchase one that day if available.
We won't have vendors at the Pro, other than the food truck. Unless he has a really big, Snell rated tortilla, you may want to hit up the store near Long Beach, or what ever is local to you. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:A loaner of any sort would be awesome.I can squeeze into a medium but usually run a large.

Mine is XL, but it should fit fine for the weekend. Just come find me. I'll be there tomorrow from about 1 p.m. on. I drive a black mini cooper S #88 RT2 and I look like a football offensive lineman. I'm hard to miss :D
==============
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I like to visualize this for Pro Solo launches...

Uncle Bob at OCIR circa 1972
But you drive an STC Civic so.....

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Cassidy-

If you swim in the XL, I remembered I still have my little brother's large open face helmet in the trailer. We are the large gearbox toy hauler at the entrance to the paddock with the Metrosexual Blue Honduh Civie EssEye.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Good job Cassidy - I thought you did great.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Cassidy Eastwood

Thanks Max. I had a blast out there! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I would have been lost otherwise. But....I need a sway bar, crash bolts, some lighter wheels and some decent rubber to be competitive.

Giving a lot of thought on throwing down the money for the 7" Enkei RPF1's and the 225/45/17 Rivals on Tirerack.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I would suggest developing a crack habit - it will be cheaper :D

Welcome to the addiction.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:I need SEAT TIME to be competitive.

FIXT :D

Congrats on joining the addiction, nothing like the feeling after a weekend bender ;)
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Cassidy Eastwood

But Bobby... to make the playing field at least level I need to get off of these Michelin Primacy's!

I still cant believe I even posted a 55.66 on these soap infused tires! These things instill zero confidence when exiting a corner.