My first time...

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Cassidy Eastwood

Re: My first time...

Post by Cassidy Eastwood »

but yes, a lot of "Seat" time is on the agenda.
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:But Bobby... to make the playing field at least level I need to get off of these Michelin Primacy's!

I still cant believe I even posted a 55.66 on these soap infused tires! These things instill zero confidence when exiting a corner.
I was watching you... I thought you were doing a good job out there.

Bobby makes an excellent point, and there is nothing wrong with learning to drive better on crap tires. However, having driven on them as well, I can certainly understand your desire to get rid of the bloody things, not just for AX, but for daily driving as well!

I would keep the car stock (RTR) legal for the first year though, so I think your plan is good.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I like to visualize this for Pro Solo launches...

Uncle Bob at OCIR circa 1972
I'm sure you already know this but for those that don't, when leaving El Toro as you pass the radio control airplane club and you are coming to the stop sign at the Marine Way perimeter road, immediately on the other side of the railroad tracks directly in front of you is where the entrance and dragstrip runoff area was to Orange County Raceway. Kinda ironic 46 years later, but they used to have a class known as ESP. For about an hour, I held the track record at 11.98 secs. with my BUILT 1966 GT-350. And THAT was while being stationed at...El Toro.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Ed Holley wrote: I'm sure you already know this but for those that don't, when leaving El Toro as you pass the radio control airplane club and you are coming to the stop sign at the Marine Way perimeter road, immediately on the other side of the railroad tracks directly in front of you is where the entrance and dragstrip runoff area was to Orange County Raceway. Kinda ironic 46 years later, but they used to have a class known as ESP. For about an hour, I held the track record at 11.98 secs. with my BUILT 1966 GT-350. And THAT was while being stationed at...El Toro.
Hey, I was stationed at El Toro '67-'68. Semper Fi!
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

Cassidy Eastwood wrote:But Bobby... to make the playing field at least level I need to get off of these Michelin Primacy's!

I still cant believe I even posted a 55.66 on these soap infused tires! These things instill zero confidence when exiting a corner.
Spend money on the driver, then spend money on the car. There's nothing worse than upgrading your car and going slower due to the upgrades making it easier to get away with mistakes...ask me how I know. But yeah I agree with you though, the stock tires are pretty garbage.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bobby Beyer wrote:But yeah I agree with you though, the stock tires are pretty garbage.
But... when you consider they're the same tires that come stock on a Prius, (specifically picked for low rolling resistance to improved MPG) and they preform as well as they do on the FRS... you have to give some kudo's to them!
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... 3084D94F6E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Max H.

#31 SSC
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Ed Holley wrote: I'm sure you already know this but for those that don't, when leaving El Toro as you pass the radio control airplane club and you are coming to the stop sign at the Marine Way perimeter road, immediately on the other side of the railroad tracks directly in front of you is where the entrance and dragstrip runoff area was to Orange County Raceway. Kinda ironic 46 years later, but they used to have a class known as ESP. For about an hour, I held the track record at 11.98 secs. with my BUILT 1966 GT-350. And THAT was while being stationed at...El Toro.
Cool. Love history.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Cool. Love history.
Was OCIR on the base itself? I remember it being in that area but couldn't remember exactly where.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

George Schilling wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:
Cool. Love history.
Was OCIR on the base itself? I remember it being in that area but couldn't remember exactly where.
It was NOT on the base. It was outside the perimeter fence, kind of between the fence and Interstate 5. Although the drag run off area was where I mentioned, the OTHER end, to the south widened considerably. Kind of like a elongated sliver of pie. No toll roads back then. But Sand Canyon was there. If you go over to the La Quinta outside of El Toro, you'll notice that the side street entrance to the motel kinda comes to a dead-end. There was a time that it continued on. That was the entrance to OCIR. The drag strip, at the time was one of the most modern state-of-the-art facilities in the nation. We're talking mid-60s.
2001 NB Miata
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Looking in the Northbound direction of the I5

Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Old school SCCA

George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Thanks for the memories guys!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Old school SCCA

I'm assuming you realize that is the Esses leading to turn 6 at Riverside International Raceway...where I drove a Formula Ford in the mid 1970s. GOD I'm old! ;)
2001 NB Miata
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Ed Holley wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:Old school SCCA

http://www.fototime.com/548DE186210044C/orig.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm assuming you realize that is the Esses leading to turn 6 at Riverside International Raceway...where I drove a Formula Ford in the mid 1970s. GOD I'm old! ;)
Thanks for clarifying. I kept trying to figure out what part of the return road that was at OCIR.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Bob Bondurant's driving school started there. Paul Newman was one of the first students. There was also a twisty dirt track that Subaru used to demo their car. Our office is on the old OCIR property.
Cassidy Eastwood

Max, the link was dead that you sent me. Which event, and date are you referring to??
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

April 27th practice - look in Events.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Cassidy Eastwood

80 bones for a lot of runs?? I'm in!

Checking with the other half so I don't conflict schedules....
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I sooooo miss OCIR. :(
Practically grew up there and at Irwindale.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600