Newbie with some questions

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Dave Davis

Newbie with some questions

Post by Dave Davis »

hey all,
i signed up couple days ago and starting reading the Solo rulebook.
i'm in long beach, CA and figured i'd check out the Cal club region events.

of course i've got some questions.
1) how much does it cost to sign up or become a yearly member?
2) if i opt out of full membership, how much is it to participate in a single event? (either at autoclub speedway or el toro)

i read somewhere you can race in the mornings or afternoon. do i have to stay for the whole day?

i dont have a problem helping out either. thats cool.

and if you're wondering what the heck i'd be driving its a 67 mustang. some minor mods, i think i'd land in the street touring class.

thanks for everyones advice, and info!

i'll try to make it out for the el toro event in may.
"All good projects have a coat of primer"
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Newbie with some questions

Post by George Schilling »

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your interest in solo competition. It's a great way to have some legal fun with your car.

Here's a link to our current offerings. The May event or which you speak will eventually be posted here as well. Prices and conditions vary with each event. The one constant is an SCCA weekend membership is $15. That can used toward a full membership. I believe mine was $90 for the year. More information on membership can be found here.

Hope to see you out here soon!
Last edited by George Schilling on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Dave Davis wrote:hey all,
i signed up couple days ago and starting reading the Solo rulebook.
i'm in long beach, CA and figured i'd check out the Cal club region events.
Welcome aboard!
of course i've got some questions.
1) how much does it cost to sign up or become a yearly member?
2) if i opt out of full membership, how much is it to participate in a single event? (either at autoclub speedway or el toro)
For full SCCA membership it's $85 per year, weekend memberships are $15 per weekend.
i read somewhere you can race in the mornings or afternoon. do i have to stay for the whole day?
Run order is arranged so you can get both your work assignment and runs in a half day if that's what you choose.
i dont have a problem helping out either. thats cool.

and if you're wondering what the heck i'd be driving its a 67 mustang. some minor mods, i think i'd land in the street touring class.

thanks for everyones advice, and info!

i'll try to make it out for the el toro event in may.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative

Rick Brown wrote:For full SCCA membership it's $85 per year
You're a San Diego member? Next time, I'll pay the extra $5. :P
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

George Schilling wrote:
No, just living in the past.
George Schilling
Club Representative

Rick Brown wrote:
George Schilling wrote:
No, just living in the past.
:lol:
Dave Davis

Post by Dave Davis »

cool,
weekend membership is $15 and event cost will vary?
George Schilling
Club Representative

Dave Davis wrote:cool,
weekend membership is $15 and event cost will vary?

All your questions should be answered in by clicking on register in the link I provided. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

Try clicking on the CSCC icon on the upper left of this page. Go to the Newbie box on the upper right side of the page.
There are several pdf file of information that shoud answer most of your questions.
Welcome to the addiction.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Dave Davis

Post by Dave Davis »

thanks for the links.

i'm confused with the calendars on the SoCal Solo II site where you register and the Cal club solo site.
one says el toro at the end of each month as location and the other states Auto Club speedway as location.

thanks again.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Dave Davis wrote:thanks for the links.

i'm confused with the calendars on the SoCal Solo II site where you register and the Cal club solo site.
one says el toro at the end of each month as location and the other states Auto Club speedway as location.

thanks again.
Dave - please will you give me links to the sites you are referring to? I only see AAA listed in our official location (solo2.com) and where you register (solo2.motorsportreg.com). We have had issues of other people "helping" us get the word out and giving incorrect info.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Dave Davis wrote:thanks for the links.

thanks again.
Dave - please will you give me links to the sites you are referring to? I only see AAA listed in our official location (solo2.com) and where you register (solo2.motorsportreg.com). We have had issues of other people "helping" us get the word out and giving incorrect info.
SoCal Solo II is the motorsportreg.com site where registration takes place but only events that have had info created show up. It shows AAA speedway for the next event (April 27-28) then El Toro for the Super Regional in June. The May 25-26 event will also be at El Toro. The solo2.com site's (what I think you are referring to as the Cal Club solo site) calendar lists all events and the locations appear to be correct. We use both locations, usually El Toro in the summer and AAA in the winter, but the way the National Tour and ProSolo worked out, we had to go back and forth this month.

Here's the listing of all events this year at both sites: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave Davis

Post by Dave Davis »

okay,
that makes it clearer. i dont want to miss some important info.

as far as showing up and parking in the pit area, are we limited to parking space(s)?
can i bring an EZ up?
i'm not talking full RV or anything. some some shade and couple chairs.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yes, but you must be responsible about having enough weight to secure your EZ UP when it's windy ... which it can frequently be this time of the year in Fontana.

Some folks paddock near the guard rail in order to secure their EZ UP to the rail ... others attach it to their tow vehicles, extra wheels and tires ... but the purpose made sand bags that wrap around the legs are quite secure ... for CA Speedway.

For El Toro they have some ridiculous formula which comes out to something like 300 lbs for a 10X10 EZ UP ! There you pretty much have to secure it to a vehicle./trailer
Dave Davis

Post by Dave Davis »

cool.
EZ up no problem. i'll tie it down with my spare or something like that.

got another dumb question regarding car number.
i sign up and register the day of event and i get issued a number and a class. all of which gets placed on the number sign/plate on the car?

i'm thinking i should get a couple of large magnets, like 9x12 and use eletrical tape for number and lettering.

my car is black, so that might be more easily legible.

thanks.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Dave Davis wrote:cool.

i sign up and register the day of event and i get issued a number and a class. all of which gets placed on the number sign/plate on the car?

i'm thinking i should get a couple of large magnets, like 9x12 and use eletrical tape for number and lettering.

thanks.
Car Number Guidelines (can also be found reviewing the supp regs on the site): http://www.forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.p ... 87&p=85051

@ Registration & Tech, there are usually printouts for 600 numbers (non points card holders). However, be prepared to make your own, from blue tape, large magnet, etc.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Dave Davis wrote:cool.

thanks.
Registration issues you regular letter size paper with a 600 series number. While technically not within spec for numbering (8" numbers with a 1.25" stroke), they are easy for us (timing and course workers) to read. Tech has pre-printed class letters. These are usually just taped on the car. We have masking tape, or bring your own blue tape which leaves less residue on your car. Unless you buy a points card, which gives you a permanent number, you will get a different 600 number at each event.