From the Ohio Valley Region SCCA

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jake Stumph
Car#: 200

From the Ohio Valley Region SCCA

Post by Jake Stumph »

Hello gang, I am writing here to introduce myself, and hopefully gain some insight on becoming one of the regulars, hanging out in parking lots on the weekends, and dodging some cones. My name is Jake Stumph, and I have recently moved to California, from Columbus, Ohio, where I had been a regular participant with our local SCCA chapter, the Ohio Valley Region for about 3-4 years. My current racecar is a stockish, and relatively new to me, BMW 135i, which enjoys long stretches of freeway, and has a condition towards chronic severe understeer, and body roll. :thumbup: Prior to the Bimmer, I had a lightly-prepped Mazda3 wagon that I ran in Street Mod-Street Tire (SMS), which, from what I gather, may have been a local-only class? I run the 135 in the same class now, because I've been too lazy to buy new magnetic numbers.
I enjoy both Solo, and HPDE, however, since moving out here in July, I have not had the chance to check out the local AutoX scene, and have instead been attending a steady amount of DE's all over Southern California. However, my roots are in Solo, so I've really been itching to get back into it. I am slowly making my way through the "Solo2" website, trying to figure things out, but it looks like you guys run things a bit different than my home region. What's up with the various "clubs"? Are my SMS magnets applicable in this region? Is my SCCA License applicable here, despite saying "Ohio Valley Region" on it? Are high-fives and victory dances approved after handing out class trophies?
Anywho, looking forward to getting out there, the 2014 season can't start soon enough! P.S.: I will try and dig up some pictures/videos of me/the car tonight.
- Jake
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing #200 H-Street, Silver Civic Si Sedan.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: From the Ohio Valley Region SCCA

Post by Rick Brown »

Jake Stumph wrote:Hello gang, I am writing here to introduce myself, and hopefully gain some insight on becoming one of the regulars, hanging out in parking lots on the weekends, and dodging some cones. My name is Jake Stumph, and I have recently moved to California, from Columbus, Ohio, where I had been a regular participant with our local SCCA chapter, the Ohio Valley Region for about 3-4 years. My current racecar is a stockish, and relatively new to me, BMW 135i, which enjoys long stretches of freeway, and has a condition towards chronic severe understeer, and body roll. :thumbup: Prior to the Bimmer, I had a lightly-prepped Mazda3 wagon that I ran in Street Mod-Street Tire (SMS), which, from what I gather, may have been a local-only class? I run the 135 in the same class now, because I've been too lazy to buy new magnetic numbers.
I enjoy both Solo, and HPDE, however, since moving out here in July, I have not had the chance to check out the local AutoX scene, and have instead been attending a steady amount of DE's all over Southern California. However, my roots are in Solo, so I've really been itching to get back into it. I am slowly making my way through the "Solo2" website, trying to figure things out, but it looks like you guys run things a bit different than my home region. What's up with the various "clubs"? Are my SMS magnets applicable in this region? Is my SCCA License applicable here, despite saying "Ohio Valley Region" on it? Are high-fives and victory dances approved after handing out class trophies?
Anywho, looking forward to getting out there, the 2014 season can't start soon enough! P.S.: I will try and dig up some pictures/videos of me/the car tonight.
- Jake
Welcome to the region, Jake. SCCA Regional memberships are valid at any SCCA event, anywhere. Autocrossing in SoCal started before SCCA Solo and was a sanctioning organization formed by a group of various car clubs. When we chose to become the local SCCA region, we decided to keep the club form of government (an Exec Board and a group of Club Reps who represent the memebers, similar the political system with an Exec branch and Congress that represents the states). San Diego Region is essentially the same. Clubs also compete in an ongoing team competition.

Our local class CST sounds similar to your SMS, but yes you would need to have appropriate magnets for whatever class you end up in. You can initially start as a "guest" using 600 series numbers issued by registration (paper numbers and class letters to tape on the car). We have a permanent number system with unique numbers. You can see the list here, and see if your existing number is available. One of our members will be happy to make up whatever you need. http://www.jaycomvinyl.com/

We don't do a formal trophy presentation, trophies are not available until a later event, but you're free to dance around all you want when you win your class. ;)
Last edited by Rick Brown on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Come out to Fontucky (Fontana) this weekend!
Jake Stumph

Post by Jake Stumph »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Come out to Fontucky (Fontana) this weekend!
I saw the event in the "Calendar" section, however, on Saturday I am flying back to Ohio to visit family for the week of Thanksgiving! I didn't see any events for December, or January, but perhaps my eyes are not as sharp as they once were. It looks like I should be able to attend most of the 2014 season, considering that El Toro is a 10 minute drive from where I live, and I would love to come check out Fontana speedway, even though we would only be abusing their lot, and not going inside, ha.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jake, do you have an SCCA sticker on your car? I think I saw you on Culver last week...
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

The calendar is probably not updated for 2014. THere's a fontana event Jan 18-19. Here's the 2014 calendar:
http://www.forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jay W
Jake Stumph wrote:I didn't see any events for December, or January, but perhaps my eyes are not as sharp as they once were. It looks like I should be able to attend most of the 2014 season,
Jake Stumph

Post by Jake Stumph »

Robert Puertas wrote:Jake, do you have an SCCA sticker on your car? I think I saw you on Culver last week...
Yes, that would be me. I have SCCA divisional stickers in my quarter windows. If you saw me on Culver, I was probably en route to my girlfriend's place. Funnily enough, I happen across all manner of car folk while sitting in traffic on Culver. If you see me again, just give me a wave!