newbie, have no idea how to get started

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Manny veron

newbie, have no idea how to get started

Post by Manny veron »

how everyone doing, not new to racing but never done autocross. have no idea where to start or how to get going. wanted to go out saterday and run at california speedway but might just go to check it out.

have a 2006 evolution so guessing i would be in a AWD class? will modifications put me in a different class (tires, HP...etc)? is it around 90 dollars every event to race? all i need is my car and helmet?

forsure will see you guys saturday to check it out and would like to run but have no idea how :|
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Re: newbie, have no idea how to get started

Post by Q V »

Welcome. Check the sticky to start: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17

Most of what you asked is answered that post.

As for your car class, at the bottom of that page, you will see a link to scca.com which has the cars & rules - you can look through it to see which stock classs you fall into. If you have modifications, you can look through the other classes.

Costs are more for Saturday than Sunday ($30 pre-registered + SCCA weekend membership if needed). You can register/view pricing etc. by finding the Registration post in the "Events" sub forum. From there, it will redirect you to the appropriate motorsportsreg.com page.

See you Saturday. I'll probably be the one in nearly all orange clothes... :D
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

Welcome!

You'll have a blast! Depending on the mods on your car, you could end up in one of several classes. If you list off your mods, I'm sure someone with more expertise than myself can chime in and give you some guidance.

-BS (B-Street)
This class is for mostly stock cars, and includes S2000s, Evos, STis, C5 Corvettes, and a few others. Allowed modifications include one sway bar, shocks, tires >200tw, and catback exhaust.

-STU (Street Touring Ultimate)
This is a class for slightly more modified cars, that often double as daily drivers, and autocross toys. Mods can include the above, plus springs, both sway bars, air intake, full exhaust, wider wheels, a tune (with stock boost levels), racing seats, etc.

ASP (A-Street Prepared)
Now you start getting to the race-prepped classes. Modifications allowed are plenty, and DOT legal slicks are allowed.

SM (Street Modified)
Even more allowances than Street Prepared.

CST (California Street Tire)
This is a "catch-all" class for any road legal car on street tires >200tw. There is a lot of competition, and there are some really cool builds in this class. If you have mods that bump you into one of the higher classes, you might want to consider this one.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:Welcome. Check the sticky to start: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17
Although full of good information, needs updating. Some minor misspellings and grammar errors, too.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Manny veron wrote:how everyone doing, not new to racing but never done autocross. have no idea where to start or how to get going. wanted to go out saterday and run at california speedway but might just go to check it out.

have a 2006 evolution so guessing i would be in a AWD class? will modifications put me in a different class (tires, HP...etc)? is it around 90 dollars every event to race? all i need is my car and helmet?

forsure will see you guys saturday to check it out and would like to run but have no idea how :|
Welcome Manny! Ya, come out Saturday and introduce yourself. Saturday is PRACTICE day. Sunday is competitive event or "CHAMP" day. Typically, PRACTICE registration posts here about 2-3 weeks in advance of the event. It is NOT automatic that you will get into a PRACTICE. The list of entrants posts about a week before the event. It's almost always sold out. This weekend's PRACTICE may, in fact, be sold out. Walk-up registration generally does not happen on Saturdays.

On the other hand, even though you may not be registered and therefore not able to run YOUR car, Saturday is filled with opportunities to ride in the passenger seat with anyone who will let you. All you need do is ask while the cars are in GRID. We even have loaner helmets. It's a great way to get initiated and get different points-of-view as to what it's all about.

See you out there.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Manny veron

Post by Manny veron »

thanks guys! will catch up on my reading before saturday. hopefully can tag along with a few of you to get the feel for it. just finish the car and wanted to run it in redline time attack events but its pretty pricy for me at the moment plus i know my friend only gets like 3 or 4 track events per set of tires $$$ so federals here i come lol