Rental car for first timer question

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Dan Coplan

Rental car for first timer question

Post by Dan Coplan »

I'm totally new to this but really interested in trying it out and getting involved. Since I don't have any experience and not quite sure what I'm getting into, I'd prefer to participate in a rental car. Do people do this? I'm sure the rental car companies don't support this but I'm guessing so long as you don't trash the car you'd be ok? Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome. Thanks!
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: Rental car for first timer question

Post by Max Hayter »

What kind of car do you own? Most rentals suck, because they are auto and well, crap!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

If you're sure you're interested, I'd suggest buying an adequate helmet and just show up at practices without a car and beg rides. Should be no problem. Wouldn't surprise me if you might not find someone willing to let you take a "test-drive". If you're handy with wrenches or are willing to help out a tire fund, maybe you could obtain a co-drive with someone until you're ready to do your own thing.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I've rented:

Mustang V6
Maxima SE
Lexus SC430

Had a blast in all back in the day.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Dan Coplan

Post by Dan Coplan »

I have a Subaru Legacy GT and I bet it would be fun to drive but it's both my daily driver and also pristine with only 10,000 miles on it so I don't want to do anything stupid to it, not until I get a feel for what soloing is like, anyway.

I realize that most rentals probably suck but I figure it's better to learn about these events with a rental before putting my personal car out there.

I'm assuming rental companies have disclaimers that if you take their cars to do stuff like this then all bets are off with insurance? That's a risk I'd have to take but assuming it's a pretty safe bet that the car is going to come back safe and sound.

Any suggestions on where to get cars that are a bit more fun for this kind of thing? I'm guessing manual transmission is impossible to find.
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Dan Coplan wrote:I have a Subaru Legacy GT and I bet it would be fun to drive...
Seriously, if I were you, I would bring out the Subie. It won't get hurt. The most you will do is scrub up your tires. There is nothing to hit if you spin. And you may very well spin. LOTS of folks come out with their daily drivers. And there is a benefit in that you are most familiar with your own car. And you can call out for an "instructor" and have them either drive or ride along with you. I would NOT rent a car.

Saturday Practice is going to be hard to get into. But you CAN come on Saturday and ask to ride with someone. Plenty of opportunity. On Sunday, you could enter the so-called Champ event by class, or run T.O. (time only). Four runs for $30 + $15 temporary membership if you are not already a SCCA member. And the $15 can be credited toward membership if you decide to join. Another $25 on Sunday will get you 4 "X" runs. So, a total of 8 runs. That's what I would do, depending on budget. And if you get there early enough (7:00 or 8:00 a.m. either day) there are loaner helmets for free.

If you are able to come BOTH days, and do what I'm suggesting, you will be an expert after one weekend. :D
Last edited by Ed Holley on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Agree with Ed - bring the Subie.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

I should add that if it's a GT Wagon with a stick, you may not leave alive as I will want your car VERY badly!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Bring the Subie but air up your tires to the max listed on the sidewall so you don't immediately roll them over and scrub the sidewall. Then just start bringing your pressures down until you get an acceptable amount of scrub over the corner of the tread. Something between 1/4" to maybe 1/2" will be close to the correct pressure for your car and driving.

And to feel you're not abusing your DD, just start off driving a pace that feels right to you. No need to go 10/10ths first time out.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Bill Martin wrote:Bring the Subie but air up your tires to the max listed on the sidewall so you don't immediately roll them over and scrub the sidewall. Then just start bringing your pressures down until you get an acceptable amount of scrub over the corner of the tread. Something between 1/4" to maybe 1/2" will be close to the correct pressure for your car and driving.

And to feel you're not abusing your DD, just start off driving a pace that feels right to you. No need to go 10/10ths first time out.
Or get a rental car and follow the same instructions. Only warning is that rental cars always feel really mushy, you can't expect to light the world on fire in one.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam