Karting!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

John Brainard

Karting!

Post by John Brainard »

I've been making plans to run with you guys on march 22-23. I have a friend who will stop by to check things out and ride as a passenger during a few runs. She has a 10 year old boy named Bret, and she wanted to see if he could ride as well. I didn't think it was a good idea even if the run was really slow, which it would have to be. So I send a PM to Mako, (he had safety steward in his title) and asked him.

He suggested posting here and asking around to see if there was going to be any jr karting going on that day, and to ask if any one was willing to let Bret drive the course himself? I thought it was a brilliant idea! Will there be any karting parents there that day? And if so, could I ask about this? Thank you!

-John
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: Karting!

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

John Brainard wrote: She has a 10 year old boy named Bret, and she wanted to see if he could ride as well.

He suggested posting here and asking around to see if there was going to be any jr karting going on that day, and to ask if any one was willing to let Bret drive the course himself?
12 is the passenger minimum age.

Does Bret have any Kart experiance? AutoX course reading isn't easy, I'd say even harder for one who doesn't drive a car and would be in something faster than many of our race cars.

I'd guess most of our Juniors have been put though pretty thourough training drills by their parents before they were let loose on a course.

Jay W
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Hi John,

Welcome, the more the merrier. :)

Unfortunately, passengers are not allowed under 12 years old.

We probably will have a jr kart practice course set up on Sat. You are welcome to bring Brett over to check it out, and see if he fits in any of the karts. A karting parent may let him try it out. He will need a minor waiver signed by both parents (or sole legal guardian?), in case he drives. The form is downloadable from the CSCC site. He would also need a $15 SCCA weekend membership, that should be available at the registration table Sat morning.

Rick
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Jason is correct, I didn't ask about Bret's experience level. Has he done any indoor controlled karting like K1?

Also, here is a link about the jr program and waiver requirements:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 202012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Rick