Allow me to Re-introduce myself

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

ChristoMX5

Allow me to Re-introduce myself

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Hey everyone,

After a long hiatus from autocross and a venture into the world of karting I've decided to come back. I purchased a 1993 Miata in white with 154,000 miles. Used to have the teal 2002 Miata that Tom Berry sold a long time ago. The new car will keep the stock 1.6L and has the following modifications:

-Flyin Miata presure plate, clutch, 10.8lb flywheel
-Ground control coilovers
-Koni Yellows
-Eibach race springs
-Kosei K1 15x7 +30 offset
-Dunlop Direzza ZII (205/50/15)
-Polyurethane bushings
-Limited Slip Differential
-Hawk HPS brake pads
-New coil packs and plug wires

Thats all I can think of right now and I am running the stock sway bars for the time being. I wanted to get back in touch with everyone and see if someone who is successfully racing a 1st gen could offer some advice (or a link) on sway bar choices. Car will see double duty as a street car as well. So again, hello to all and I'm glad to be back in the sport.

Will be at Camarillo on the 14th of September. I was recently there in a BMW 335i 4 door that did surprisingly well. Looking forward to getting back in touch with some old friends. See you at the track!

-Chris
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: Allow me to Re-introduce myself

Post by Craig Naylor »

Welcome back Chris,

Put a factory clutch plate back in, and as long as it's the factory viscous limited slip... your ready to jump into the last year of the STS...

well before the '89-91 Civic's come take it over next year.

Many in STS have run the Racing Beat 1.25 hollow front bar. Rear bar runs the gamut from factory, to aftermarket of various sizes, to removed like on mine.
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Thanks for the heads up Craig. Your name actually seems familiar thinking back.

My goal with this car isn't really to compete in any class, it's just to go out and have fun and try and see how far I can push the car with the stock engine, focusing only on handling, balance and tires. After I'm satisfied I have a deal on the table for a free Renesis Rotary swap / fab / tune. At that point the car will assume full track duty and I will find something else for my daily driving.

I also will be taking out a manual 335i that is stock running on Pilot Sports to set a kind of bench mark for myself to chase after in the Miata. It's fun to play off two ends of the spectrum between the BMW and the Miata.

Speaking of familiar names, where is Leonard Cachola? Bill Schenker? Renee? Tom Berry? It's been a long time! Maybe I'll bring the kart out once I make a few adjustments.
Doug Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

"Speaking of familiar names, where is Leonard Cachola? Bill Schenker? Renee? Tom Berry? It's been a long time! Maybe I'll bring the kart out once I make a few adjustments.
Leonard Cachola? Is running the novice program and Still drives a stock Miata.
Bill Schenker? Still drives the CSP Miata but it is black now.
Renee? Is no longer with us but we all remember her for all the things she and Craig (also no longer with us) did for local Solo.
Tom Berry? Still quick and helpful, driving an Evo.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

ChristoMX5 wrote:
Speaking of familiar names, where is Leonard Cachola?
Hey Chris!

Still here. I remember you driving up behind me when we took the school in El Toro back in '06. Anthony and I were wondering what happened to you. :) Welcome back!
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Doug-
I heard about Craig, but not Renee. Damn...I'll never forget one of the first times I really started understanding my car, I came into the pits after what I thought was a great time, and Renee simply gave me the most stern face and badass thumbs up anyone has given me in my life. She was so kind and always encouraged me to go faster. That memory will stick with me forever.

Leonard-
I heard you were still auto-xing from Dan when I spoke to him recently. You and Anthony were always fun to race with. I'll PM you my number so we can all meet up again. The NA is so much different than the NB (in my opinion). It manages to feel even more bare bones to me if you can imagine that. Does Anthony still have the Mazdaspeed? You guys are more than welcome to have a go next time I see you. If you've never been karting you have to drive my 125cc TaG kart!

-Chris
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

ChristoMX5 wrote:Hey everyone,

After a long hiatus from autocross and a venture into the world of karting I've decided to come back. I purchased a 1993 Miata in white with 154,000 miles. Used to have the teal 2002 Miata that Tom Berry sold a long time ago. The new car will keep the stock 1.6L and has the following modifications:

-Flyin Miata presure plate, clutch, 10.8lb flywheel
-Ground control coilovers
-Koni Yellows
-Eibach race springs
-Kosei K1 15x7 +30 offset
-Dunlop Direzza ZII (205/50/15)
-Polyurethane bushings
-Limited Slip Differential
-Hawk HPS brake pads
-New coil packs and plug wires

Thats all I can think of right now and I am running the stock sway bars for the time being. I wanted to get back in touch with everyone and see if someone who is successfully racing a 1st gen could offer some advice (or a link) on sway bar choices. Car will see double duty as a street car as well. So again, hello to all and I'm glad to be back in the sport.

Will be at Camarillo on the 14th of September. I was recently there in a BMW 335i 4 door that did surprisingly well. Looking forward to getting back in touch with some old friends. See you at the track!

-Chris
Were you there in June, Chris? I had a few friends who went who told me that the head guy was rather upset at losing to a stock 335i.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Adam-

It was at the June autocross, yes.

It was .053 away from the top spot. Lots of talented guys showed up that day. A few people who were faster in practice hit cones and that opened up the door for me. I'm really curious how it would handle on A6s of V710s but they are so expensive! Part of the joy of the Miata for me is how cheap it costs to go racing. I'm hoping it comes at least close to the 335. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks and I'm getting some serious anxiety not being able to drive it!!!

Have to find a way to mount the kart on it and run both eventually! :lol:
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

ChristoMX5 wrote:Adam-

It was .053 away from the top spot. Lots of talented guys showed up that day. A few people who were faster in practice hit cones and that opened up the door for me. I'm really curious how it would handle on A6s of V710s but they are so expensive! Part of the joy of the Miata for me is how cheap it costs to go racing. I'm hoping it comes at least close to the 335. It's been in the shop for 2 weeks and I'm getting some serious anxiety not being able to drive it!!!

I have a small HF trailer set up to haul a kart that I'm not using anymore. Easily to tow with a Miata. ;)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

ChristoMX5 wrote:Adam-

Do you know Jon and Sean?
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Rick-
Pictures please!

Adam-

What do they drive? Not sure if I do.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

ChristoMX5 wrote:Rick-
Pictures please!

Adam-

What do they drive? Not sure if I do.
They own Tri Point now. Jon was the one who told me about the BMW blow out.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Yeah I went to high school with Jon. We have known each other since we were 16. Really nice guy and does good work. Was happy for him when he told me about Tri Point.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

ChristoMX5 wrote:Yeah I went to high school with Jon. We have known each other since we were 16. Really nice guy and does good work. Was happy for him when he told me about Tri Point.
i'm trying to get them to come autocross but so far it's been like pulling teeth lol
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

I'll see if I can get them to run some time Adam. Some guys like to work on cars and pride themselves on doing great work, other guys like to only race and we see every mix in between in autocross, karting, etc. Would be cool to get them on the track. Maybe if we both bother them enough they'll catch the bug!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Holy Cow! Whats up Chris, PM your number. I still enjoy that jazzanova to this day! and remember that rainy night when I had a flat tire and you locked you keys in your car.
ChristoMX5

Post by ChristoMX5 »

Haha, that was crazy Anthony. Yeah I do remember, we were drifting Decker like a couple goons and then you hit some big rock with your wheel. My car didn't have power door locks so I locked them! We had to drive all the way to my house and the car was still there when we got back! Can't believe no one hit it. I ended up spinning out on Stunt and was caught by a tree and now here I am 5 years later in another Miata :lol:

How have you been? I'll PM you and Leonard my number!