School Project Help!!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Oscubaru

School Project Help!!

Post by Oscubaru »

Hey what's up guys...so I am in a technical writing class and I am proposing to start an Autocross event in my area but have no idea where to start! Part of the project is to "interview" someone that is actively involved. So I was wondering if anyone on here would mind if I ask them a few questions regarding insurance needed....permits required(if any) and etc.. Let me know if you would like to help or give possibly give me contact to who I can talk to thanks!
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: School Project Help!!

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Welcome! We are a little old fashioned here, how about starting with what's your name? Where are you proposing to run an autocross (city, location)? Do you have a site identified and they have agreed to allow you to host an event there? Is this a one time event or ongoing? Where are you getting your cones and timing equipment from or do you already have that?

I'm sure others will chime in once you provide a little more detail.

Stephen
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Oscubaru

Post by Oscubaru »

Stephen Yeoh wrote:Welcome! We are a little old fashioned here, how about starting with what's your name? Where are you proposing to run an autocross (city, location)? Do you have a site identified and they have agreed to allow you to host an event there? Is this a one time event or ongoing? Where are you getting your cones and timing equipment from or do you already have that?

I'm sure others will chime in once you provide a little more detail.

Stephen

Hello my name is Oscar (should have included that) I am proposing to have an event started In Santa Clarita CA. I have one site that does come off the top of my head which is Saugus Speedway, however I have not contacted them yet. Honestly I am still In the early stages of all this (I've never autocrossed, but have been to events) This short "interview" would most likely be just a basic overview of what it could potentially take to make it happen.
It could be done over the phone in probably less then 15min...any help would be appreciated. Maybe you could answer my questions Stephen? haha
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

I'm happy to answer whatever I know Oscar. Since we delegate quite a bit to different people, I doubt I will know all the answers. How about if you start by posting your specific questions here and somebody can answer the question for you. We can always schedule a call later, or you can come chat at the next event.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Oscubaru

Post by Oscubaru »

That sounds awesome, my professor actually just assigned a "fieldwork" portion to this whole thing and I'd love to attend the next event to observe how they're operated. I live in Santa Clarita(near magic mountain), are there any upcoming events near the area this month? Maybe one will work with my schedule and I could possibly go.

There is just nine questions, I'll list them below.( Sorry in advance if this info. could already be found on the forums somewhere. I tried looking but couldn't really dig up anything.)

1. Are there any regulations on lot sizes? Do they have to be free from light poles etc, or a specific type of surface?

2.Is a helmet the only thing that is required when running a car?

3. Any permits needed from the city when setting up?

4. Type of insurance needed and maybe a rough estimate of pricing?

5. How are "inspection teams/members" acquired? Do they have to be certified or anything?

6. What is the avg. number of volunteers needed to run an event?

7. Cost of timing systems/cones, or how many cones are typically needed for an avg. size course?

8.Avg. cost to participate in a solo or non sanctioned event?

9. Is there any profit made from these events or is the cost to participate solely to cover insurance costs, renting out a location etc..?
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Many of your questions can actually be answered by reading the solo handbook.

1.) For SCCA sanctioned events, there are no minimum lot sizes per se... but there are minimum distances from different types of hard objects (curbs; light-poles; people - this would include grid, paddock, uncontrolled sidewalks etc). A lot could be to small, or cluttered to be able to actually put a course on. Other organizations like NASA, Goodguys, BMW, Porsche club have different rules, and often run closer to hard objects then we can/do.

2.) Yes and no. There are no nomex type requirements, but cars must be inspected for safety purposes.

3.) City dependent.

4.) Unless your with a larger motorsports organization, Manufacturer etc, your not likely to acquire this on your own, and meet lot owners requirements. Well not without very deep pockets, and a lack of care to recover those costs. Waivers for participants aside, you'll need to protect against life, limb, of participants, and passerby's, and personal property of the property owner. (aka their lot itself, and everything else in sight someone might damage on purpose or accident: light-poles, garbage cans etc.)

5) For SCCA events our rules spell this out.

6) At SCCA events, they are work, run, so every participant is a volunteer worker.

7.) We used to run with stop watches. Timing equipment can run several thousand for the computer, lights, system. As with everything there are different quality systems out there, and within those basic to advanced capabilities.

8.) This is somewhat a mixture of event costs & the (economic) market. Local SCCA events across the country probably run between $25 & $50 for a championship day. Though LA & San Diego are very similar in price on Championship days (event costs), Practices are substantial more expensive in LA (market driven).

9.) Profit is an interesting word. We are a non profit... does not mean that an individual event does not bring in more money than it costs. Beyond the individual event, we have equipment to maintain, trophies to buy, and other costs beyond each individual event P&L, plus we need to be able to whether lean events, seasons, etc.
Last edited by Craig Naylor on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oscubaru

Post by Oscubaru »

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback Craig I appreciate it a ton.

Anyone else care to chime in? any information is valuable.
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Next event is next weekend 10/18-19 @ California speedway.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
ajoyna1

Post by ajoyna1 »

Where are you proposing to run an autocross (city, location)? Do you have a site identified and they have agreed to allow you to host an event there? Is this a one time event or ongoing? Where are you getting your cones and timing equipment from or do you already have that?