New to SoCal

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

James.Rollo

New to SoCal

Post by James.Rollo »

Hi everyone,

My name is James Rollo and I recently moved here from the rainy region (Seattle area - North West Region - "NWR"). I just barely got all my stuff, and am only starting to read on how the events here are run, so I don't think I'll be able to make it to tomorrow's event. However, a part of me is saying "ah-hell, why not?" and just pre-register and go anyways.

Some questions:

1) If you pre-register online, but then not make it to the event, is there a penalty for that? In the NWR we didn't have penalties for pre-registering and not showing up. Pre-registering just helped the registration folks move faster on the day of the event.

2) Any objections to me coming out this late in the season? I'd love to run in class but would hate to disrupt any points race (I run a 2014 Focus ST in GS, which here would be S3 right?).

3) For the events, it looks like I pre-register, then show up in either the morning or afternoon registration / tech, depending on the work/run group I'm in?

4) Are all welcome to attend the monthly meetings? I was heavily involved in my region's events, including course design and set-up. I would like to do a similar role out here. (I have designed and set-up NT courses in Packwood in addition to many local events)

5) What are the "teams" here about?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those will probably come up once I'm on site meeting people! Des Toups told me there are a lot of great folks out here to meet and run against, so I look forward to getting out to an event here. :mrgreen:
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

Re: New to SoCal

Post by Jeff Stuart »

1) No official penalty for registering then not showing up (for Sundays), but obviously it's easier on everyone if you cancel your reg in MSR if you're not going to make it. For Saturdays, definitely let the event chair know if you're not going to make it, as we often have a waiting list to get into our practices and your spot can be sold to someone else.

2) No objections, come on out! If you're able to disrupt a points race, more power to you, just means the other guys need to go faster! But if you're really worried about it, you can also run Time Only for these events if you don't want to rock any boats.

3) Yes. The Run/Work order should be linked to in one of the MSR event information screens. For Sundays, you only need to be there half the day. If you're running in the afternoon, it's generally a good idea to get there by 11 or so.

4) Have to let someone else answer that one. My guess is you're welcome to attend, but don't hold me to it.

5) You could be referring to one of two things...
  • Here's a good writeup about the history of CSCC region, which will explain why we have a further subdivision of "clubs" beyond just the CSCC region as a whole: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6350
  • For this weekend in particular, you maybe be referring to the SCNAX Cup, which is a one-off event that the SCNAX club hosts annually on a Saturday during a practice. You can read more on that here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8149
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

4) All are welcome to attend the meetings. They are held on-line at GoToMeeting and the link is available in the Calendar on solo2.com: http://solo2.com/calendar.htm. Meetings are held once a month on Wednesdays starting at 6:30pm. A listing of the members of the Board is on the Contacts page of solo2.com: http://solo2.com/contacts.htm.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jeff Stuart wrote: For Saturdays, definitely let the event chair know if you're not going to make it, as we often have a waiting list to get into our practices and your spot can be sold to someone else.
To be clear, if you are a confirmed Saturday practice entry and don't show up, there is no refund unless we DO sell your spot to someone else.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

No penalty for Sunday no-shows. That is the open championship days. We don't call them championship days anymore because we didn't want to scare off newbs, but that's what they are. ;) We encourage everybody to pre-reg for Sunday if there is a decent chance they will be coming to the event.

The no refund policy is only for limited field practice events that we usually hold on Saturdays. These events are almost always sold out so those who couldn't get in are harmed by people taking a space and then not showing. However if we are able to sell the entry to somebody on the wait list or to a walk up then there is no penalty.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

quit feeding the spam bots Steve!

when a new user's first post is a copy paste of a post further up the tree....you don't need to reply to it.

:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

OOPs! Went to first unread message.....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600