New and Confused

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Daniel Boutros

New and Confused

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Hello all,

My name is Daniel and I am an avid driver and car enthusiast. I own a 2012 MB C63 and I have always wanted to take my car out to track days, but quite honestly, a track day, after you factor in all the various costs, runs about $1000 for a day, and I have always been worried about my car so I have never done one.

The only track experience I have is with the one day course at the AMG Academy, and a quick autocross run with the new M3/M4 (for promotional reasons but the instructors told me to go crazy so it was fun)

That being said, I started to look into autocrossing my car because as far as my current research has shown:
a) cheap entries (correct me if I am wrong)
b) lots of fun
c) I am not going to need a new set of tires at the end of the day (i hope, please say yes!)

That being said, I am very confused about everything. I read a lot of the Newb threads and I went to the scca site and still don't know at what I am looking at.

Basically, what I want to do is the following:
a) Attend a few local autocross courses whenever I happen to have some spare funds and time
b) Not have to tie myself down to attending meetings and things
c) meet some great new people.

If this is all possible, I look forward to hearing from you about what I need to do to get started on this. I noticed there is an event in Fontana on the 15th? (Again not sure.....)

Thanks in advance
-Daniel
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: New and Confused

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the sport!

Have you read this document? It simplifies the process to seven steps.

http://solo2.com/newcomerInfo.htm
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Hi Daniel. Welcome to CSCC Solo.

There is only one way to get started. That, of course, is to register and come out to an event. This is great time of year to start as attendance wanes this time of year. Normally, it is virtually impossible for a novice to get into one of our practices. But if you register today, I can guarantee a spot for you on Saturday. :D

For Autocross Sunday, we place no limits on attendance so all are welcome. However, a light turnout on Sunday means you will get extra attention lavished upon you to help you get started. Don't delay. ;)

Warning: If you come on Saturday, you'll want to come back on Sunday. A hundred bucks in entry fees for an entire weekend of fun? Heck, even I can afford that! :P

You can register for both Saturday and Sunday here.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Hello George and Leonard,

Thank you for the replies.

Leonard: I did read through that, but thank you for posting it again, I bookmarked it to refer to it again.

George:
So based on what I am seeing
Saturday: Entry Fee of $70
Sunday: Entry Fee of $30
SCAA Weekend Membership: $15

I will also be able to loan a helmet for when I run correct? So that's all I will basically need for the day?

If that's everything I would need for the day, would definetly come out both days!

Also, what can I expect when I come out there? How many people? How many runs do you get in a day?

Also, can I bring a friend? Can he drive?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

dboutros wrote: Leonard: I did read through that, but thank you for posting it again, I bookmarked it to refer to it again.
You're welcome. It still needs tweaks, but it covers the basics of the day. The Novice Guide PDF expands on it a lot more - it's more than 20 pages, but it makes sense to read it both before and after your first event. When you go to the solo2 site, the Events dropdown has the main stuff you need to get started on signing up: links to the Calendar and Registration. The Results are for after you run.
I will also be able to loan a helmet for when I run correct? So that's all I will basically need for the day?
Yes, we have a limited number of loaner helmets available. But, yes, a safe, working car and a helmet along with a valid driver's license is what you need.
If that's everything I would need for the day, would definetly come out both days!
Excellent!
Also, what can I expect when I come out there? How many people? How many runs do you get in a day?
Saturday practices are typically about 70-80 people with around 12 runs. Autocross Sunday is 4 runs (standard entry or time only entry) and you can purchase eXtra Runs (X-Runs), which is an extra set of runs. We usually get around 120-150 people to show up on Autocross Sundays, hence the lower number of runs.
Also, can I bring a friend? Can he drive?
If he registers as a driver, pays the entry and membership fees, signs the waivers, and has a valid driver's license, yes he can drive. For ride-alongs only, he just needs to sign a waiver. If he just wants to watch, that's cool, too.
~Leonard Cachola
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Thanks for all the help guys!

I think once I get some free time today I am going to sign up. I don't know if I can make Sunday, but Saturday I can for sure.
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Hey George and Leonard,

I signed up for Saturday. I can't make Sunday this time, but I am super excited to meet you guys on Saturday and see what autocrossing is all about!

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Hi George and Leonard,

So Saturday is approaching. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to help while I am there?

Also, any advice on tire pressure? it's basically the only adjustment I can really make with my car haha
HowdyZ06

Post by HowdyZ06 »

dboutros wrote: Also, any advice on tire pressure? it's basically the only adjustment I can really make with my car haha
You'll want to increase pressure, as to what, I'm really not sure. I will have air, tire gauge, and window chalk (for marking tires) all of which you are welcome to use if you want -- and I'm sure a number of other people will have these things as well. With that said, since it's your first event, you may just want to set it and forget it rather than worry about minutia of car set up while you're still getting your feel for the sport.
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06 A-Street
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Thank you David. I will appreciate that. Looking forward to meeting you out there.
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

What time does this start? 7 am correct?
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Still confused? Or is everything a little clearer now?
~Leonard Cachola
Daniel Boutros

Post by Daniel Boutros »

Hi Leonard,

Good news! No longer confused!

I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone who was involved in making this event happen. It was extremely well run and I had a blast.

I am definitely going to be doing more events in the future as I met a bunch of great people, got to improve my own driving skills, and had an amazing time seeing a bunch of different cars and their capabilities.

Once again thank you all for hosting a great event! Looking forward to meeting more of you next time (and improving my lap times :D )

Soooo i hear there is another event on Dec. 6th? How can I sign up for the Saturday event again?
HowdyZ06

Post by HowdyZ06 »

Daniel Boutros wrote: Soooo i hear there is another event on Dec. 6th? How can I sign up for the Saturday event again?
http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/
David Howdyshell
2002 Corvette Z06 A-Street