New to AutoX and to California

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Shawn Fineout
Car#: 314

New to AutoX and to California

Post by Shawn Fineout »

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the area and drive a MK7 GTI, I've been wanting to check out autocross for a long time but never committed, now that I have a car that seems appropriate for it I'd really like to get my feet wet. I'll lurk about on here and try to suck up any pertinant information to me getting going. Hope to see you soon on the course!
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: New to AutoX and to California

Post by Craig Naylor »

Welcome, Fineout.

Lurk away on the site... but reading isn't driving. Come on out to our next event, May 23rd (Practice) and 24th a day of class competition. The event will be in lot 6 at AAA (California) Speedway in Fontana aka Fon-tuckey.

I'm definitely not a surname expert, but I'm hazarding a guess "fineout" is a sudo-name? As you lurk the board, you will notice just about everyone uses their real names. We would appreciate it as a community if you updated your login to your given name etc. On this board, your not talking to people all over the word, where anonymity may be preferred, rather we consider ourselfs family. All be it dysfunction as any real one too, at times.
Last edited by Craig Naylor on Mon May 18, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Fineout

Post by Shawn Fineout »

Thanks for the welcome, if I can make it out next weekend I definitely will. And re: my username, that is actually my last name, I use it on most forums because it's unique enough where I don't have to add numbers to it.
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

I stand (or sit typing) corrected.

If you make it out, just ask for help if you have questions. Most in our midst are more than willing to provide assistance to newcomers.

I drive a Black Miata #80. Though I'm not likely to be there this weekend (have a conflict) feel free to stop by and say hi at a future event.
Stephen Strand
Club: CASOC
Car#: 519

Post by Stephen Strand »

Welcome Fineout, I think your car is in GS assuming it isn't too heavily modified. There are two Focus STs and a white Neon SRT-4 that are the regulars so make sure to look for us in the parking lot :)
Mediocre driver. #519 Focus ST. Lead mod for www.reddit.com/r/rallycross
Shawn Fineout

Post by Shawn Fineout »

Well I got awful bogged down in the summer and never was able to get a free weekend, plus my Patriots kept winning this fall and I didn't want to miss a game. Signed up for this weekend, took the tune off my car so its still GS! excited to see what she/I can do!
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Shawn Fineout

Post by Shawn Fineout »

Hey I accidentally signed up in GS instead of novice, will it be possible to switch registration to novice at the event in the morning?
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Shawn Fineout

Post by Shawn Fineout »

Hey I accidentally signed up in GS instead of novice, will it be possible to switch registration to novice at the event in the morning?
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Yes. Just tell registration when you check in. If, by chance, they aren't able to, we can change it after the event by sending a PM to Rick Brown.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator