Didn't make El Toro entry list

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Michael Chang

Didn't make El Toro entry list

Post by Michael Chang »

Hi, my name is Michael Chang (mods, if possible, can my username be updated to “Michael Chang”).

I recently picked up a stock 2014 Evo X and have been interested in developing/honing my driving skills and getting a better feel for the Evo to really enjoy it’s capabilities, and I thought Auto-X would be a good way to accomplish those goals.

Back in February, I registered with SCCA and signed up for the upcoming March 19-20 event at El Toro. I received a confirmation email that stated, “this DOES NOT guarantee entry into the event.” Sure enough, I’m currently not on the entry list. How likely is it that this status will remain unchanged (do events usually sell out?), and how can I improve my chances to be confirmed in the future? Unfortunately, I work most weekends, and I had to take a day off work in hopes of being able to participate that weekend. I’m still planning on attending just to observe and get first hand experience, even if I don’t make the entry list.

I’m looking forward to learning from you all.

Thanks in advance,

Michael
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: Didn't make El Toro entry list

Post by Leonard Cachola »

You can still come out and do ride-alongs at the practice as long as you have a helmet (we do have a limited number of loaners available), so don't think you are solely regulated to the sidelines if you show. Also, you can try to get in to the practice first thing that morning - sometimes people are no-shows on the day of the practice. You'll know by 9 whether or not we have open spaces.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Michael Chang

Post by Michael Chang »

Sounds good. I'll be there. Hopefully there will still be loaner helmets available that I can trial before making a purchase.

Is registration/entry on a first-come, first-served basis? I signed up and registered in late February, so I'm assuming that most of the slots filled up already by then, unless entry is based on seniority or experience.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Thanks for your interest Michael and posting the question.

The short answer to getting into events that are in high demand is through regular involvement. Becoming a member of a favored group will ensure your entry into practices. Become involved, attend regularly, and volunteering are all ways to ensure you entry into practice events by putting you into those favored groups. Demand for practices usually drops off near the end of the year making it easier for newcomers to enter.

It looks like this is your first event. The best place to get started is on Sunday where there is no entry cap and we have people on hand specifically to help newcomers. But as Leonard said, come out on Saturday and go for rides. You'll have a great time.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Michael wrote:Is registration/entry on a first-come, first-served basis? I signed up and registered in late February, so I'm assuming that most of the slots filled up already by then, unless entry is based on seniority or experience.
BTW, this is a particularly high demand practice for several reasons. 1.) we have a National event at El Toro just a few weeks later, so many out of towners and 'part timers' are coming to this practice to tune up for that event. 2.) its our first time at El Toro this season, which draws a crowd.

Jay W
Michael Chang

Post by Michael Chang »

I'm excited (and a slightly nervous) for my first autocross experience. Everyone's input has been much appreciated. See you all next weekend.

Michael
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

You can also sign up for Sunday! Just be sure to sign up for the afternoon run group if you are totally new to the sport.
That way you will be assured there will be plenty of instructors available :)
Michael Chang

Post by Michael Chang »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote:You can also sign up for Sunday! Just be sure to sign up for the afternoon run group if you are totally new to the sport.
That way you will be assured there will be plenty of instructors available :)
Thanks for the heads up. I was originally under the impression that Saturday and Sunday were considered one event (I was a little confused at George's statement re: Sunday not having an entry cap, but now it makes sense). I just signed up for Sunday's event under Novice B Street, which I believe should be correct for a stock Evo X.

Thanks again,

Michael
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Michael wrote: I just signed up for Sunday's event under Novice B Street, which I believe should be correct for a stock Evo X.

Thanks again,

Michael
On the bright side. by correctly figuring out your classing for the Evo, you are obviously more intelligent than 90% of any normal new person :lol:

Don't be nervous... come with an attitude of having fun and don't be afraid to ask random people questions. Most people love to help.

Don't be scared by George's appearance in real life... he's very old!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Max Hayter wrote:Don't be scared by George's appearance in real life... he's very old!
Or Max's... He's very British.

Jay W
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Michael wrote:Sounds good. I'll be there. Hopefully there will still be loaner helmets available that I can trial before making a purchase.

Is registration/entry on a first-come, first-served basis? I signed up and registered in late February, so I'm assuming that most of the slots filled up already by then, unless entry is based on seniority or experience.
Drop by the Racing Lifestyles trailer the weekend of the race & talk w/ the Pao's. They have nice orange helmets for sale. Okay, they have other colors, too, but yea.
Chris Myers
Car#: 369

Post by Chris Myers »

Hey Michael, I am also fairly new to AutoX also. El toro will be my 3rd event.

Here is a little insight from someone in the same boat.

The Sunday events (to my understanding) don't fill up. And on those race day you get the 4 timed runs plus I think there are other runs you can purchase, but don't count, x-runs I think. But as someone who is also fairly knew the 4 runs (+1 instructor drives your car lap) will be plenty to get your feet wet. I typically register for the event at the beginning of the month and pay in cash the day of.

The saturday runs are the practice day, which don't count towards official points card times. On these you get multiple runs (more than 4) and there are less people so more seat time, but on the flip side its more expensive and the participants are hand selected. So start to get to know some of the people running the event. Last event ran late and I worked my shift already but still helped get cones at the end of the day, people pay attention to who helps out and such. Granted I don't think anyone noticed, but its a good mindset to get in. Also there are different clubs you can join when you sign up for a points card (first year can choose to not be apart of a club) and different clubs, to my knowledge, "host" different races and they will take special interest in their club members first, before outside people.

And lastly don't be afraid to ask for help, every dumb question I had was welcomed by the other drivers and were happy to assist. My first day was so over whelming, but the 2nd was easier and now I can't wait for the 3rd.

Feel free to pm any questions, I'm new too so no judgement.

Cheers!
2013 Honda Fit Sport -STF
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Can we turn Chris' post into a FAQ?
Michael Chang

Post by Michael Chang »

Thanks for the advice, Chris. As I go through the forum, I'm finding that members have a much more forgiving and helpful attitude with "dumb" questions than other forums I've been a part of. This community is definitely making a good first impression.

And thanks for the recommendation, Quoc-Viet. I'll visit the Pao's this wknd.
Chris Myers
Car#: 369

Post by Chris Myers »

Michael Chang wrote:Thanks for the advice, Chris. As I go through the forum, I'm finding that members have a much more forgiving and helpful attitude with "dumb" questions than other forums I've been a part of. This community is definitely making a good first impression.

And thanks for the recommendation, Quoc-Viet. I'll visit the Pao's this wknd.

I agree too, that everyone has been really helpful to the novices. My guess is because overall its such a diverse group, filled with drivers of all ages and backgrounds and car makes. I too have been on quite a few forums in my day, and it always becomes *pardon my french* a pissing contest between "younger" individuals any everyone is just in it for themselves and too show off.

But here there is such a huge range of cars and drivers, that whole "me vs you" mentality disappears and becomes more about making it a fun event. Plus cars and racing just naturally brings people together. The few auto races I've been too (Nascar/NHRA) the stranger next to you becomes a good friend after a few runs. Its the atmosphere :D
2013 Honda Fit Sport -STF
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

If any one wants to split a practice entry, LMK.
I won't be needing the afternoon session.

Thanks,
Rick
rjung@cirodesign.com