New to it all, question about car prep on NB

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jacob Chesin
Car#: 524

New to it all, question about car prep on NB

Post by Jacob Chesin »

Hi there! I have been interested in getting in to Autocross for a while, I volunteered with the CPP FSAE team at a few events in the past and always wanted to give it a try. I recently purchased a 2002 Miata (I believe it's a base model) that is stock with 140k miles on it. I'm already signed up to be a worker for the CAM Challenge as well as the May 14 practice and I also just signed up for SCCA and for a CSCC points card. My question is, what sort of things should I check on my car to ensure it's ready for autocross? It has brand new Dunlop DZ102's (195/50R15) and I recently just swapped out the spark plugs, wires, and coil packs. The car runs great but wanted to see if anyone could suggest some little things to check for considering the car has 140k on it. Since it is stock, I am planning on running in the "E Street" category (correct me if that's not right). I've been out of the auto sports game for a while since selling my VW drag car back in 2013, so I am very excited to get started here.
Thanks!

-Jake
Jake - 2002 Miata, Koni Yellows, RB front sway bar, Federal RS-R's, GWR Bump Stops, Boss Frog Tubular Roll bar
Max Guijarro
Car#: 905

Re: New to it all, question about car prep on NB

Post by Max Guijarro »

Just to pass tech inspection, you should be sure that your battery is properly secured, wheels properly torqued, and nothing loose in your suspension (grab the tire and give it a shake while on the car; clunking or noise is no good).

Besides that, check your fluids and filters to make sure they're not overdue for service and you should be good to go for now.
Jacob Chesin
Car#: 524

Post by Jacob Chesin »

Max Guijarro wrote:Just to pass tech inspection, you should be sure that your battery is properly secured, wheels properly torqued, and nothing loose in your suspension (grab the tire and give it a shake while on the car; clunking or noise is no good).

Besides that, check your fluids and filters to make sure they're not overdue for service and you should be good to go for now.
Right on, sounds like I'm good to go then.

Thanks!
Jake - 2002 Miata, Koni Yellows, RB front sway bar, Federal RS-R's, GWR Bump Stops, Boss Frog Tubular Roll bar
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

While this isn't road racing or HPDE event, where you may chew them up faster than expected...

I would also make sure your brake pads have plenty of meat left on them too.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

if anyone could suggest some little things to check for considering the car has 140k on it.
If you don't know the history of the timing belt, water pump and clutch, set aside a little budget for it.

Shocks too. If they're original OE, they're marshmellows. After you get some good seat time in, upgrade to some sportier shocks and feel the new car.

Next time you change tires, consider an aggressive alignment. If it's your daily driver, compromise a bit. But don't just go with a factory standard.

When you need brake pads, Porterfield has some excellent Street/AutoX pads in the R4S. Discounts for SCCA members too.

Jay W