If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

dvdpk

Post by dvdpk »

Hello,
My name is David, and it's a pleasure to meet you all.
I'm looking forward to learning about autocross. I've never done it before, but I want to start practicing in order to know more about my car, and gain confidence in my driving (also, I'm looking for a new hobby).

Over the next few days, I want to ask around about helmets (Snell stuff is confusing), driving technique and practice times, etc.
Thanks again, and I really hope to see you guys soon.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Re: New Member

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hi David. Welcome to our group! We do have loaner helmets so you don't have to buy one before your first event.

If you're looking for more information on our approved helmets, check this out:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/sc ... 1450109868

Basically whatever you buy, it needs to have one of those stickers in it. A DOT sticker on the outside means nothing to us. You want a helmet with one of the approved mylar stickers on the inside (typically under the lining...you'll have to peel it up a bit to see it usually). We have some folks at our events that can sell you an approved helmet as well (I bought my last helmet from them).

Either way, sign up for one of our events and come on out. We're very "newbie" friendly. We have our novice coordinator (Leonard) who runs guided novice course walks. We also have instructors that are happy to ride along with you and help you get through your first couple of laps. The folks at the registration table are friendly and will help you figure out where you need to be. I'll be working Tech at the next event, so if you come out, stop by and say hello. The real key is just getting out there that first time. We'll show you the ropes!

BTW: We typically use our real names on this forum....unlike some forums, we actually see each other at events every month, so we like to know who we're talking with.

Hope to see you out there!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
dvdpk

Post by dvdpk »

Hi Randy, thank you for the warm welcome.

My name is David Park (my username is my name, condensed). If an admin could change that for me, that would be wonderful!
Anyway, I am indeed interested in going to the next event. I wonder if there is still room for the September one?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

dvdpk wrote:Hi Randy, thank you for the warm welcome.

My name is David Park (my username is my name, condensed). If an admin could change that for me, that would be wonderful!
Anyway, I am indeed interested in going to the next event. I wonder if there is still room for the September one?
Welcome David.

The Saturday practice appears to be full, however Sunday events have no entry limit. You can still come by on Saturday, see how things are done, meet people, and get rides with people. You can enter Sunday online (http://solo2.motorsportreg.com), which saves you $10. If you tell us about your car, we can help you with which class you should be in.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
David-Park

Post by David-Park »

Rick Brown wrote: The Saturday practice appears to be full, however Sunday events have no entry limit. You can still come by on Saturday, see how things are done, meet people, and get rides with people. You can enter Sunday online (http://solo2.motorsportreg.com), which saves you $10. If you tell us about your car, we can help you with which class you should be in.
Oh bummer!
Maybe I'll have more luck next month? I unfortunately cannot do Sundays, since my work requires me to work all day (I preach at a church in Torrance!). I will take u up on the offer of observing on Saturday, though (I also signed up last night, just in case!). Thank you!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

David-Park wrote:
Rick Brown wrote: The Saturday practice appears to be full, however Sunday events have no entry limit. You can still come by on Saturday, see how things are done, meet people, and get rides with people. You can enter Sunday online (http://solo2.motorsportreg.com), which saves you $10. If you tell us about your car, we can help you with which class you should be in.
Oh bummer!
Maybe I'll have more luck next month? I unfortunately cannot do Sundays, since my work requires me to work all day (I preach at a church in Torrance!). I will take u up on the offer of observing on Saturday, though (I also signed up last night, just in case!). Thank you!
The official entry list for Saturday will be posted next week probably. If you don't get in and are on the wait list, show up early and there is a good chance you will get in as there are always no shows.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...