Novice Participation Question

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Novice Participation Question

Post by Ed T »

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about competing in the Novice class. Does participation in the remaining two championship events of 2016 (11/13 and 12/4) disqualify a Novice for competing in the 2017 Novice class? I thought I read somewhere that as long as you don't do more then 3 autox events within the last 3 years, you are allowed compete as a Novice. I couldn't find that info for the life of me again. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Ed T on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Re: Novice Participation Question

Post by Leonard Cachola »

It's in the Supplemental Regulations on our website at solo2.com, but here's what it says - note that this applies to next season as well, not just 2015:

APPENDIX A - 2015 CSCC SOLO REGIONAL COMPETITION CATEGORIES AND CLASSES
All classes are the same as listed in the 2015 National Solo Rules Book with the addition of the following Regional Classes:
NOVICE (NOV) and NOVICE LADIES (NOVL)
A. Purpose of this class: To encourage new members/competitors to participate in autocross and be introduced into the community in a class structured for their needs.Also, to allow them to sharpen their skills without being discouraged by “getting their doors blown off” by more experienced drivers.
B. Eligibility: A person who has participated no more than 3 days per year within the last 3 years. A day is defined as any autocross or Solo event, practice or school run by any organization not limited to CSCC Solo or SCCA.
C. Novice class competitor’s cars must be classed in classes that are outlined in the SCCA Solo National rules or in the CSCC Solo supplementary regulations. The competitor will compete at the same time as the competitors in those classes but will be scored with the other Novice class competitors throughout the day.
D. There will be a guided Novice course walk before the first run group in the morning and during the lunch break before the afternoon run groups.
E. Class results are based on the entrant’s best time multiplied by the index listed in Appendix C of the CSCC Solo supplementary regulations class plus any penalty.
F. Year end points will be calculated for these classes based on the six best results for each driver.
GOOD LUCK, ALL NEW DRIVERS!
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Thanks Leonard!
niki smith
Car#: 710

Post by niki smith »

Thank you for posting this! I had no idea..

Just to clarify is the 2 day school coming up considered two days? or 1 day because it is one event?

I ran the October 23rd Autocross and Oct 30 Ladies School (which was a blast!) So if I participate in the weekend school, will I be out of the novice class next season?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Niki
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Good question. Technically, the answer is yes, you would have reached your quota of days, but this is a self-policed limit where everyone is on their honor.

Remember that we're all doing this for fun. While you could be protested for doing one or two too many days, you more than likely won't unless you're dominating the class.

For the upcoming novice school, we're planning on the practice course being the same as the school course. So, you could consider it a single event despite the language above.

Does that help?
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Ed T
Current Solo Director

Post by Ed T »

Hey Leonard, just wanted to say thanks for doing a course walk with me on Sunday. You the man!