New SCCA member and AutoX novice, need advice

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Aaron Kinney

New SCCA member and AutoX novice, need advice

Post by Aaron Kinney »

Hello everybody!

My name is Aaron Kinney and I live in Los Angeles. I joined the SCCA last year and am interested in autocrossing at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. I've done lots of drag racing but I'm a total noob when it comes to the twisties. My modification list is long and I'm not sure which class(es) I qualify for. Any help classing my car and general tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Car details below.

2001 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
4.6 liter SOHC V8
5-speed manual

Suspension mods:
Tubular K member
Tubular A arms
Front coilover kit
Urethane swaybar bushings
Caster/camber plates
Bumpsteer Kit
Subframe connectors welded in
Adjustable upper & lower rear control arms w/ spherical bushings
"Battle Box" Torque box reinforcements welded in
H&R Race rear springs
Single adjustable shocks/struts all around

Engine & Drivetrain mods:
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 185 cylinder heads w/ MHS stage 3 cams
Cobra high volume oil pump
Aluminum intake manifold
75mm throttle body & 90mm MAF
300 lph fuel pump w/ 34 lb injectors
MSD Coil on Plugs
Underdrive pulleys
Long Tube headers, H pipe, & 2.5" dual exhaust
Short throw shifter
RAM HD clutch
Adjustable clutch cable
Aluminum driveshaft
Detroit TrueTrac differential
4.10 rear gear ratio
Dyno tuned to 313hp & 278tq at the rear wheels on 91 octane pump gas

Other mods:
Corbeau fixed-back seats
Battery relocated to trunk w/ closed aluminum box (NHRA legal)
External battery cutoff switch mounted on rear (NHRA legal)
Mishimoto high capacity radiator
Autometer A/F wideband gauge, Aeroforce multigauge w/ oil temp & pres, water temp, voltage, and shift light

Front brakes:
Stock calipers, stock rotors w/ HAWK street pads

Rear brakes:
Stock calipers, PowerSlot slotted rotors w/ HAWK street pads

Front wheels/tires:
17"x8" wheels with 245/45/R17 Nitto 555 G2 tires, 320 tread wear rating

Rear wheels/tires:
17"x10.5" wheels with 315/35/R17 Nitto 555 G2 tires, 320 tread wear rating

Extra wheels:
I have an extra set of wheels, sized 17"x9" front and 17"x10.5" rear, that I have not yet bought tires for. I'm looking for recommendations on a set of AutoX tires to put on these wheels, something stickier than my current 320 treadwear street tires.

Helmet:
I've got a Snell rated M2010 helmet. It's a motorcycle helmet. From what I read in the rules this helmet should be ok for SCCA autocross as well. Am I correct?

What class(es) do I qualify for? Which one would be best for my novice skillset?

Should I even bother trying AutoX with 320 treadwear tires, or should I get some better ones first? Everyone in here seems to be running much stickier compounds. Thanks!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: New SCCA member and AutoX novice, need advice

Post by Rick Brown »

You can run in CAM-C. https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1446494308 Pretty unrestricted as to what you can do to the car. And a growing and popular class with us. You could start on the tires you have, which isn't a bad thing since it teaches car control. Minimum treadwear in the class is 200. You can also be in Novice with a CAM-T index.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Aaron Kinney wrote: Helmet:
I've got a Snell rated M2010 helmet. It's a motorcycle helmet. From what I read in the rules this helmet should be ok for SCCA autocross as well. Am I correct?

Should I even bother trying AutoX with 320 treadwear tires, or should I get some better ones first? Everyone in here seems to be running much stickier compounds. Thanks!
M Snell rating is fine. And don't worry about the tires yet. Come out and get hooked first. You'll have plenty of fun on what ever you bring.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Aaron Kinney

Post by Aaron Kinney »

Rick Brown, CAM-C looks good to me. I'll use my current rubber, and see what tires everyone else is using, and go from there.

KJ thank you, I'm going to register for the next event and look forward to learning about racing beyond a straight line!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Aaron-

I came out of a drag racing family. I got my first exposure to autox doing some magazine work. I still didn't realize what full on SCCA autocross could be because I was doing it on postage stamp lots with sub 20 second times. First hit of real autocross at Hollywood park had a 1.1 mile course. I was hooked! Turns out that was way longer course than normal, but still we don't do postage stamps. I lost interest in drag racing almost immediately. I do get a rush out of Pro Solo which is a little bit of a hybrid. We do mirrored courses with a christmas tree start. I get a little buzz out of that. It's a national series, unfortunately no local series for ProSolo. We will be hosting a national Pro Solo on April 1-2. You don't have to be a pro to enter. It's not necessarily a good beginner format. But if you run in Feb and March with us locally, get hooked, and want to run the Pro too, we'll hold your hand and get you through it!

Steve Ekstrand
Besides the formula car I autocross....
I also have a 1969 1/2 Road Runner 440-6 NHRA SS/GA car.
And a 1969 Barracuda...
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Thanks Rick for the nod towards CAM-C.

Aaron, if you make it out to the February event make sure you stop by and say hi. CAM-C and CAM-T classes have been growing a lot in this region over the past year. We usually try to pit near each other and get some bench racing in before or after our run group. Most likely will be somewhere near the large grey JDP trailer in February. I'll be the guy with the red 1968 Camaro running CAM-T
Aaron Kinney

Post by Aaron Kinney »

I just registered for the Saturday event February 18th at Fontana. I understand this is not a guarantee to entry so it looks like my next step is to wait to see the list that gets published two weeks before the event. If I don't make it on this list then I'll register earlier for the next one.

Steve, I can't wait to try autocross out. My father has always been into bicycle racing (the pedal kind), and I grew up around that, but I was more interested in the loud, obnoxious motorized vehicles. I'm hoping I retain interest in both straight line and twisty events. But I know what you mean when you talk about one interest supplanting another.

Chad, I'll definitely come looking for the CAM classes!
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Saturday's are practice days and a great thing to sign up for being new to autocross. Saturday's have a limited number of spots though. And don't discount Sunday's. You usually will get 4 runs and there are instructors available Sunday. In fact official instruction is on Sundays only. Plenty of unofficial instruction Saturday. Also if you get to the site early enough on Sundays you can usually buy x runs to double your runs. There is no entry cap on Sundays so that is when you will catch most of the CAM guys.
Aaron Kinney

Post by Aaron Kinney »

Ah okay I didn't realize that. Sunday is no good for me on the 19th of Feb due to a prior obligation but next time around I'll consider a Sunday. I am definitely interested in instruction.