Questions on registering for an Autocross and classes

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Mike Ahlstrom

Questions on registering for an Autocross and classes

Post by Mike Ahlstrom »

Hi... I've been a member of the SCCA for a couple of years now and I've decided to start running some of your Autocrosses this year. I've been running a lot of the Speedventures events and I ran in the Hotchkis Cup last year with some success. I ran Autocross/Slalom events back in the 70's and 80's and decided that now that I'm retired, I needed another expensive hobby!

My main question is how do I register for an event? Is it through MotorsportReg.com? How far in advance can I register? Any other info would be appreciated...
My other question is about the car and what class would it be in. I built a Meyers Manx style fiberglass Dune Buggy specifically for Autocross.(It's actually a copy of the car I used to race in the 70's. Big motor (2275cc), dual Weber 44's, close ratio trans, etc. and I run Toyo Proxxes R1R (traction 200) or Hoosier R7's depending on whether there is a tire restriction at the event.I looked in the rules book and I would be in AM but I'm really not sure.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Mike Ahlstrom SCCA #485873
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Questions on registering for an Autocross and classes

Post by Rick Brown »

Mike Ahlstrom wrote:Hi... I've been a member of the SCCA for a couple of years now and I've decided to start running some of your Autocrosses this year. I've been running a lot of the Speedventures events and I ran in the Hotchkis Cup last year with some success. I ran Autocross/Slalom events back in the 70's and 80's and decided that now that I'm retired, I needed another expensive hobby!

My main question is how do I register for an event? Is it through MotorsportReg.com? How far in advance can I register? Any other info would be appreciated...
My other question is about the car and what class would it be in. I built a Meyers Manx style fiberglass Dune Buggy specifically for Autocross.(It's actually a copy of the car I used to race in the 70's. Big motor (2275cc), dual Weber 44's, close ratio trans, etc. and I run Toyo Proxxes R1R (traction 200) or Hoosier R7's depending on whether there is a tire restriction at the event.I looked in the rules book and I would be in AM but I'm really not sure.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Mike Ahlstrom SCCA #485873
All event registration is on http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/, you can register as soon as they appear, usually 3-4 week before the event. The event flyer contains a lot of info about how events are run. A Mod sounds right.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

It seems like the Meyers Manx used to be specifically listed somewhere, but I don't see it listed anywhere in the current SCCA rules.
However, "dune buggies" are allowed in BMod, assuming it doesn't exceed other rules about Aero and it's not turbocharged, that's where it would fall in SCCA's ruleset.
If it's licensed for the street, you can run it in one of our local classes: CST (street tires) or CSM (dot race tires) depending on which tires you want to wear out.
Mike Ahlstrom

Post by Mike Ahlstrom »

Thanks for the info...