Pro Solo questions

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Michael Palero, Leonard Cachola

Chris Ashton
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 am

Pro Solo questions

Postby Chris Ashton » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Myself and a group of friends are attending the Pro Solo event in Fontana starting on the 31st. I have been to one pro solo event, but it was many years ago and I don't remember the details. This one is also a three day event, which is different than what I saw before. The event schedule is posted here: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-tire-rack-scca-fontana-prosolo-auto-club-speedway-national-pro-solo-502974

So here are my questions:
Do I need to be there all three days? Friday there is a bunch of EVO stuff, which I don't know what that is but I assume that means I'm not involved. There is three hour practice session. Is that for anyone?

Work assignments - there are two huge "heats" on Saturday - four hours long each. I assume those are still made of run groups and you're not driving or working for four hours. Do work groups rotate throughout those four hours?

Heats - Would I be running in each heat? There are two on Saturday and the third heat is on Sunday. Do only the winners from Saturday race in the third heat on Sunday? Or is that just a third chance to get your best times in?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way!

User avatar
Anthony Porta
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Pro Solo questions

Postby Anthony Porta » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Chris Ashton wrote:
So here are my questions:
Do I need to be there all three days? Friday there is a bunch of EVO stuff, which I don't know what that is but I assume that means I'm not involved. There is three hour practice session. Is that for anyone?


The Evo stuff is an additional cost, but very valuable if you have never done the event.

Chris Ashton wrote:Work assignments - there are two huge "heats" on Saturday - four hours long each. I assume those are still made of run groups and you're not driving or working for four hours. Do work groups rotate throughout those four hours?


The event supps haven't been posted but yes, there will be run groups within each heat. With 2 heats per day, so youll run twice (4 runs each) Saturday and work twice while sunday you will run once (again 4 runs, 12 total) and work once. Now if you get into the challenge at the end either bonus or super then you'll get even more runs!

Chris Ashton wrote:Heats - Would I be running in each heat? There are two on Saturday and the third heat is on Sunday. Do only the winners from Saturday race in the third heat on Sunday? Or is that just a third chance to get your best times in?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way!


answered above
http://www.anthonyporta.net Solo Safety Steward

Chris Ashton
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Pro Solo questions

Postby Chris Ashton » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks, that's good info!

User avatar
Anthony Porta
Solo Safety Steward
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Pro Solo questions

Postby Anthony Porta » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am

Even if you don't do the EVO stuff, bring some cash and get some practice starts (only offered Friday) so you can get familiar with the starts.
http://www.anthonyporta.net Solo Safety Steward

User avatar
Kurt Rahn
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:29 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88
Location: Pasadena

Re: Pro Solo questions

Postby Kurt Rahn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:29 am

I HIGHLY recommend doing the Evo Hole Shot. It basically runs you through what happens during the event (it's complicated and happens really quickly) and you get practice starts which basically makes it worth it right there.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.

User avatar
Max Hayter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:26 am
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31
Location: Powdering the boys...

Re: Pro Solo questions

Postby Max Hayter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Kurt Rahn wrote:I HIGHLY recommend doing the Evo Hole Shot. It basically runs you through what happens during the event (it's complicated and happens really quickly) and you get practice starts which basically makes it worth it right there.


This - if you have not done a Pro Solo before, be there on Friday and do the Evo Hole Shot school. You'll get your money's worth, and then some.


Return to “New to Autocross/New to the Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests