New to AutoX // Car classing question

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

New to AutoX // Car classing question

Post by Jacob Abrams »

Hey All,

I'm new to AutoX and just got into racing a few months ago. I bought a BMW M2 performance edition recently to turn into a dedicated track day car.

I've signed up for the event this Sunday and put down the car under B street classing wise since it is still stock. However, a friend of mine pointed out that my car not even qualify for B street because it's a limited edition car with performance modifications over the regular model M2. While it may be stock to me, other M2 owners wouldn't see it that way (at least I assume).

So which class should I be racing in this weekend? Moving forward I plan on doing a large number of modifications, ranging from adding camber plates to a front splitter, spoiler, turbo mods, chipping it, etc. What class would that put it in, street modified? Are there any limitations in that class I might run into, or any requirements I may not be aware of? I've skimmed the classing rules, but I've been too busy with work to really dig deep and make sense of it all.

Thanks for any feedback and help getting started.

Jacob
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Re: New to AutoX // Car classing question

Post by Reed Gibson »

Seeing as you plan on running extensive mods we'd recommend running in our California Street Tire (CST) class. This is kind of a catch-all class for people with modified cars as the rules basically only require it to be street legal and have street tires! Unless you want to make a serious campaign at national events this is your best option to compete locally without having to dig through the nitty gritty rules of any Street Mod classes.

Be sure to take advantage of our instructor lanes Sunday to get some coaching from some of our expert drivers and don't be afraid to ask anybody for help/advice!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

I will second Reed's suggestion, but I would also recommend reading the rule book in case you find you really like Autox! Its my goal to have a car that I can compete in Autox with as well as some Time Trial events.
Brian Tilley

Post by Brian Tilley »

Here's my recommendation (a day late): If you are a competitive person, you'll want to be in a class your car is capable of being competitive in. That being said, as you are new to this, you as a driver won't be competitive for a couple of years. You have to remember there are a decent number of people here who have been doing this for many years showing up to every single event every year. You wouldn't expect to join a sports league and dominate on day one, so you shouldn't expect the same thing here. If you are ok with just racing "yourself" and looking for personal growth, then CST is fine. My problem with CST is that it is highly dependent on who shows up to a given event. One week you could have by far the fastest car in the class and think you're a driving god, the next week you could be going up against some heavily modified supercar that will beat you regardless of your driving talent (to an extent).

If you are competitive, the best thing to do is to take all of the mods you plan on doing and throw them out the window. Do a couple events, and get a feel for which class your car would be competitive in. After that, look at the rules for that class and modify your car to match those rules. Otherwise, you'll end up with a car that is in way too high of a class, but you weren't prepared or aren't willing to do the other half of the mods required to be competitive in that class.

Also, seat time is way more important than any mod you'll ever do. Except tires.
Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

Post by Jacob Abrams »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. And thanks for all the help on the track a few weeks ago Anthony. Oh, and congrats on the nationals win!

I ran the car in B street two weeks ago and just recently saw they updated the rule book to add my limited edition car...in A street. Oops. Doesn't really matter though, I wasn't posting competitive times anyway.

I saw I would have won the novice group by a second and a half, but I didn't know such a thing existed until it was too late. Can I still register in the novice group on my second race, or has that ship already sailed?

Moving forward I think CST does make sense once I start working on the car because I highly doubt I'll truly be competitive in any class my car is eligible in for some time. Might as well have fun working on the car while I just focus on getting better and not necessarily competing with anyone but myself. I'd probably be competitive in the class my daily driver belongs in (an Audi sedan), but I don't really intend on racing my DD when I bought a car specifically for the track, lol.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Jacob Abrams wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. And thanks for all the help on the track a few weeks ago Anthony. Oh, and congrats on the nationals win!

I ran the car in B street two weeks ago and just recently saw they updated the rule book to add my limited edition car...in A street. Oops. Doesn't really matter though, I wasn't posting competitive times anyway.

I saw I would have won the novice group by a second and a half, but I didn't know such a thing existed until it was too late. Can I still register in the novice group on my second race, or has that ship already sailed?

Moving forward I think CST does make sense once I start working on the car because I highly doubt I'll truly be competitive in any class my car is eligible in for some time. Might as well have fun working on the car while I just focus on getting better and not necessarily competing with anyone but myself. I'd probably be competitive in the class my daily driver belongs in (an Audi sedan), but I don't really intend on racing my DD when I bought a car specifically for the track, lol.
Thanks, 3rd at nationals, but I did win the ProSolo Finale. anyway.

Yeah you can run Novice.

B. Eligibility: A person who has participated no more than 3 days per year within the last 3
years. A day is defined as any autocross or Solo event, practice or school run by any
organization not limited to CSCC Solo or SCCA.

Maybe leonard can chime in, but we let people run the class all year.