Junior program? Contact?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Justin Metz

Junior program? Contact?

Post by Justin Metz »

Hi everyone,

I have a friend of mine who is interested in getting his 5 (soon to be 6) year old son into karting (they are in Anaheim). I recommended he check out your junior autocross program, since his son probably won't be able to go to an indoor place for a couple more years. Who can I have him contact for more information, and if/when you have your next junior orientation?

My friend does not autocross himself, but I will urge to come watch and get some ride alongs to maybe get him into it :)

Thanks!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Junior program? Contact?

Post by Rick Brown »

Will Kalman, Stacy or Steve Ekstrand. You can PM through this site. Or simply show up at Auto Club Speedway on Sunday, Nov 12, around noon when our Jr Karters will be running.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

He would need all the equipment. We aren't like an indoor karting place where everything is provided. I'd suggest coming out to watch and learning more about what is involved. I'd be happy to answer any questions here though.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Justin Metz

Post by Justin Metz »

Thanks. How often do you do junior orientation? When my kids went through it out here, all of the existing kart families provided all the gear, excluding helmets, for the orientation.

Anyways, I will let him know about the November 12th event and get some more information.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We no longer do Junior Orientations. New kids might get pulled out to demonstrate or be instructed in certain skills for safety. But we no longer have the room for separate course areas and the liability climate in Junior Karts is so severe right now that offering a public come out and try with our equipment is unlikely. Junior kart equipment needs to be fit pretty precisely. There is no one size fits most solution. And especially with JC karts age 5-8, we discourage kart sharing, but it is allowed. I believe we are down to two active JC karts in our region. Mike Nakata and Ken Motonishi. Nearly run all events (Ken's hardly ever). They may be willing to offer a co-drive to try it out. I'd certainly work with any new kid if we could set up something with those two families.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600