Hello! Novice intro + tire pressure question

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Danielle Gilbert
Car#: 949

Hello! Novice intro + tire pressure question

Post by Danielle Gilbert »

Hi,

My name is Danielle and I'll be coming out to this Saturday's practice for my first autocross event! (first racing event ever, actually) :)

I have a 2005 Corvette Z51 6-speed convertible in Lemans Blue. The only mods are Corsa cat-back exhaust and the skip-shift eliminator. I have it on Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. So I'm guessing A Street (AS) is the right class?

What do you recommend for the initial cold tire pressure?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Danielle
Danielle Gilbert

Re: Hello! Novice intro + tire pressure question

A couple more questions:

- The guide says that we'll be given a piece of paper with our 6xx number at the event. So I only need to bring the "NOV AS" printed sheet and some tape?

- I read that shared cars need the number "1" on their class paper (SCCA 3.7.F). Is that correct? So, since I'm splitting my day with my husband, my sheet needs to say "NOV AS 1"? Or "NOV 1 AS"? Or.. what?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Danielle Gilbert wrote:A couple more questions:

- The guide says that we'll be given a piece of paper with our 6xx number at the event. So I only need to bring the "NOV AS" printed sheet and some tape?

- I read that shared cars need the number "1" on their class paper (SCCA 3.7.F). Is that correct? So, since I'm splitting my day with my husband, my sheet needs to say "NOV AS 1"? Or "NOV 1 AS"? Or.. what?
Welcome Cal Club Autocross Danielle. You're in for a treat!

Car numbers are not required for the Saturday practice. The number requirement applies to Autocross Sunday only.

One of our Corvette owners will be chiming in to answer you classing and tire pressure questions.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Danielle (and Diego),

I've been autocrossing my Vette for many years now. There's a couple of schools of thought on the topic...but generally most folks start with the fronts in the 32-34 lb. range and start with the backs like 2 lbs. lower. Then they'll typically adjust to fix car handling problems (i.e. understeer/oversteer, mushy turn in, etc.). But that being said, I know fast guys that run higher, and fast guys that run lower.....differences being the specific tires, sidewall stiffness, feel of the car, etc.

I'd be happy to help you two get your car sorted (or introduce you to one of our car setup gurus and you can dive down that rabbit hole!). I'll have an inflator and air pressure gauge that I'm more than happy to share if you want to just drive to the event at factory 30/30.

That being said, if it's your first event, I wouldn't get too hung up on tire pressures and car setup right away. Your first event you really need to just focus on autocross driving basics. I'd be more than happy to help you get started, and I can also introduce you to all the other Vette drivers we have out there (I see at least one other signed up for Saturday). We have quite a few that run with us regularly.

I'll be in a red C6 Grand Sport. Feel free to paddock somewhere close and introduce yourselves. I can help get you setup with some instruction to get you started on the right foot, and of course I'm always happy to share my right seat on my runs if you'd like to ride along. Make sure you come early and walk the course (or introduce yourselves early and I can hook you up with somebody that can give you some pointers on your course walk as well).

Your car runs in A Street for competition days, but as George said, Saturday is a practice so no numbers and classing aren't necessary. Just arrive nice and early, head to the registration desk, empty your car and take it to the tech line, walk course and make sure you attend the driver's meeting and course working training (for 1st timers right after the driver's meeting). We're a friendly bunch, introduce yourselves and let us know it's your first time and you'll have plenty of friendly people pointing you in the right direction! :thumbup:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome and we'll see you out there!

Randy G.
Event Master for the weekend.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Danielle Gilbert

Thanks for the great information, George and Randy.

Man, all that research I did trying to figure out the numbers and classes when it's just practice.... ;) oh well, now I know for the future.

I was thinking about tire pressures not to affect performance, really, since I don't know what I'm doing, but to protect the sidewalls of the tires. I was thinking that if pressures were too low, I might incur more tire wear and the tires were on the pricey side.

Driving basics are definitely where I need to start. I've been reading and watching YouTube videos, but I'll consider even just staying on course as a big success. :) I'm definitely planning to walk the course several times.

About what time do you expect the event to end?

Randy, I'll be looking for your red Vette on Saturday. Thanks!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Yeah....we'll keep you from thrashing your tires on your first outing! :thumbup:

Our last run groups for Saturday are scheduled to end at 3:45.

We'll see ya out there!
Danielle Gilbert

Thank you SO much to Randy, George, Tom, Q, and everyone who was so amazingly friendly and helpful! I had such a good time coming out to Saturday's practice. I am very excited about joining you for the 2018 season.

I bought the Longacre air pressure gauge and a helmet (HJC AR-10 III, after a ton of research and trying-on). I just have to get a water sprayer and then I'll be all set!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

So glad to hear you had a good time and welcome to the club! It was great to see you taking advantage the ride-along opportunities and getting instruction....some amazing drivers in our group....great folks to learn from!

Hope to see you out there at our January event!