Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

5 minutes between runs

Post by Anthony P. »

I posted a poll over here https://www.facebook.com/groups/134523167354645/

So.... How important is it that our local event follow the 5 minute rule? That is you cant take another run until 5 minutes has elapsed since your last run (or car for 2 drivers). Here are my thoughts...
Local view: It doesnt really matter, I like that the event runs as fast as it can, but I dont like that I dont have enough time as a 2 driver car to check pressures and think about my run.
National View: We should follow the rules. My tires are hotter than they would otherwise be in national competition. I don't have time to review data/video.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Re: 5 minutes between runs

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

On hot days, I have a problem managing the heat in my car and tires when I do a co-drive with Rick (or one of my kids)....I've skipped runs on competition days before. For example, the last event, Rick and I both stopped after 3. If we slowed down the between run pace a little earlier in the session, we might have been able to control the heat a little better.

Of course, that would mean a 4 run group with a 2 driver car would require an absolute minimum of 40 minutes to get through a session.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

I think it boils down to driver and grid person responsibility. Without looking it up, I assume the 5 minute rule is not a required part for local events. The grid person needs to be flexible to send another car/line if necessary to keep event flow going. Drivers need to let the grid person know in advance they have heat issues. Maybe reserve one of the 2 driver lines for those that need the extra time.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Rick Brown wrote:I think it boils down to driver and grid person responsibility. Without looking it up, I assume the 5 minute rule is not a required part for local events. The grid person needs to be flexible to send another car/line if necessary to keep event flow going. Drivers need to let the grid person know in advance they have heat issues. Maybe reserve one of the 2 driver lines for those that need the extra time.
It gets tricky for grid but the intent of the rule is to avoid "forcing" anyone to take a competition run without having at least 5 minutes to cool off. It really only becomes apparent at the end of a group when there's just a few cars left and the gaps between runs become more noticeable.
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

I too have heat problems and could also benefit from the 5 minute rule.

Increasing the gaps between runs could reduce reruns due from downed cones and red flags; increasing overall event speed.
Steve O'Blenes

Post by Steve O'Blenes »

For those of us that are newer to the sport and get to enjoy tires that are fast out of the box and don't need heat, The five minute rule I believe was initially created to prevent a competitor from having an unfair advantage by running back to back and thus having hotter tires as a result.