Miata year/model recommendations

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Martin Mushik

Miata year/model recommendations

Post by Martin Mushik »

Hello Cal Club,

Having attended a few solos now I am looking to get a car and drive. I know a few of you drive Miatas and I was wondering if I could ask for a recommended year and model to direct my search for a car. Any and all suggestions appreciated. I vaguely have a sense that '94-05 NBs with LSD/Torsen might be a good place to start. Thank you.

Martin
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Miata year/model recommendations

Post by Anthony P. »

Any thoughts on what class you would like to run in?

Many people like to start with street class cars, but those who want more performance go Street touring, those who like to build and tinder go even further.

there are fantastic STU and STR cars for sale right now as well, what is your budget?
Martin Mushik

Post by Martin Mushik »

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for jumping in here to give me a hand. I am thinking to keep it as frugal as possible to start off...so street class. I am pretty sure I have seen some ads for nice NBs that were below 5k, some with mileage below 100k. Are the STU and STR cars up for sale within the club? I am not sure I am looking in the right place, but thought I saw some track ready cars for more like 5-10k (and some higher).

Hope to see you and any others who could offer more direction tomorrow.

Martin
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Hi Martin,

I just bought an NB (1999) in August because track racing is my end game, and when I talked to the guys at the track event, they said that was the one to get (but it was also the best one I found when I looked). Up to 04 or 05 meets the rules of the racing clubs that run locally. The 94-05 has the 1.8l engine, which is popular. If you need interior space, I believe newer is better (2006 or later) You also get a 2liter engine with more horsepower. You should be able to get a solid 90-97 stocker for around $2500, 99-01 for $3500, and later they go up to about $10k. There are 1.6l Miatas for under $2k, but they will "vary" in their maintenance history and mechanical needs. There are a couple facebook pages "SoCal...Miata..." where cars and parts are traded, give you an idea of what is for sale, along with craigslist. There are a ton of Miata drivers in the club, so you can get a close look at several gens. You may run into someone selling theirs. There is lots of aftermarket for all of them, but the 90-97 I think has the biggest supply of parts cars!

I will be there with my green one, and I love to talk cars so def hit me up (I am the pony tail guy).
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Martin Mushik

Post by Martin Mushik »

--David--Thanks for the recommendations and I especially appreciated the insights on the different models/years...looking like a 99 or 99-05.

--Anthony-- I am thinking to keep it simple and say street, stock (thus STU?). I doubt I have the money to swing STR (if that's racing modified, fab'ed bodies, and mods galore). I am not sure if in 99 there was a mazdaspeed with a supercharger that was stock (it looks as though I might have been), but I have seen a couple like that listed--if so that might be cool as 200 hp sounds a bit more interesting to me, lol.

Still hoping others might chime in with year/model recommendations.

-Martin
Shane Donahue

Post by Shane Donahue »

It does depend on the direct you want to go for classing, but in general the answer is "99 Sport"
it's the lightest, highest output of the NB series, with a 5-speed gearbox. it does lack just about everything, including ABS, but the suspension kit that came on it has stiffer springs, bigger brakes, and larger wheels than other models, making it the optimal one to have in Street classes (Aka, "Stock".). In street your allowed mods are any tires that fit the factory wheels (+/- one inch), shocks, a cat-back exhaust, and a sway bar (generally a front for a RWD car)

Moving up though to Street touring classes, where your common modifications would be Larger wheels and tires, coil-overs, stiffer bushings, adjustable camber arms, air intakes, headers, exhaust and ecu tuning. If you're looking to be competitive with some of these common modifications.. a 99 Sport get's outgunned by S2000s in STR (Street Touring Roadster). So.. bit of a bummer, but still a really fun car to drive. With this type of load out.. a 93 R-Package would likely be the best option, as it goes to STS instead thanks to having the 1.6l instead of the 1.8

But then, jumping above that.. into something like CSP where you start running slicks, chopping body panels, and building engines.. and you're back into a competitive stand point... but now you need a truck and trailer.

A 99 sport's a great option regardless, and should be easy to flip as they're in pretty solid demand amongst motorsports guys eveywhere.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

To clarify Shane's comment, when he says the wheels may be +/- one inch, he means the diameter of the wheels, not their width.

In Street you can use replacement wheels with the same width as OE, +/- 1" in diameter, and +/- 7mm on the offset of the wheel as installed. (Post a question in response here if that offset subject is confusing.)
Martin Mushik

Post by Martin Mushik »

Okay...I am pretty well set on a 1999 sport...just hard to identify those without seeing the doorjamb sticker designation. Three spoke steering wheel, roll up windows and tan interior? Many that I see on Craigs have coilers already which would put it in street prepared...and I guess a mazdaspeed or supercharged one would throw it all the way to street modified. I am also a bit bummed to see the prices for 1999s up a bit higher than I would hope...some checking in at 6 and 7k, the ones for 3 or under look pretty sketchy or are bone stock so $$ for shocks and brakes. At this point I am open to any and all suggestions, though I doubt I could flip out and buy a new 19 club (having won the lotto LOL).

Thanks to each of you for the input and guidance thus far. I really appreciate the clarification on the wheel/tire size, of course I was hoping it was 1" on the width though!

-Martin
Shane Donahue

Post by Shane Donahue »

Martin Mushik wrote:Okay...I am pretty well set on a 1999 sport...just hard to identify those without seeing the doorjamb sticker designation. Three spoke steering wheel, roll up windows and tan interior?
Tan interior is not a required for a sport. this thread might help: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=655562
Martin Mushik wrote: Many that I see on Craigs have coilers already which would put it in street prepared...and I guess a mazdaspeed or supercharged one would throw it all the way to street modified.
Coil-overs alone would put the car into Street Touring category.. either STS, STR, or STU depending on the car/engine. A Mazdaspeed was a factory package, so they're actually legal all the way down to street class as long as they're running stock boost, no coil-overs, etc.. You could always try to flip some coilovers to someone who would be interested in trading their hard-s parts plus some cash, and you could still run the car in the mean time on said coilovers, you'd just have to run in what would likely be a higher, less competitive class based on the setup.

I'd just take a solid look at the underside of anything rolling around on coilovers currently. With the stancy-pants trends of slamming the hell out of things, and their love of cheap miatas, underbody damage is far more likely on these cars than others.
Martin Mushik wrote:
I am also a bit bummed to see the prices for 1999s up a bit higher than I would hope...some checking in at 6 and 7k, the ones for 3 or under look pretty sketchy or are bone stock so $$ for shocks and brakes. At this point I am open to any and all suggestions, though I doubt I could flip out and buy a new 19 club (having won the lotto LOL).
Good news is that shocks and brakes are cheap af for miatas.. If you're playing in street, you're only buying factory replacement gear, or off the shelf Konis.. neither of which are terribly expensive.
Martin Mushik wrote:
Thanks to each of you for the input and guidance thus far. I really appreciate the clarification on the wheel/tire size, of course I was hoping it was 1" on the width though!
You and me both!
dennishubbard
Executive Board Member

Post by dennishubbard »

Martin - if you are still interested in a street class (ES) Miata then I can share more than you would ever want to know. There has been a little bit of misleading information on this thread about the differences/advantages/disadvantages of different models of Miatas and the mods that can be made to stay within the street class, so reach out directly if you would like to talk more. Also, I will be at the next event in October, so please look me up is you decide to attend - I drive a red '99 Sport.
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Coil-overs alone won't put a NB out of street class, as long as the perch height is stock. I'd defer to Dennis, as he has the only ES nationally prepped NB 99 sport in CalClub at the moment.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Shane Donahue

Post by Shane Donahue »

Ed T wrote:Coil-overs alone won't put a NB out of street class, as long as the perch height is stock. I'd defer to Dennis, as he has the only ES nationally prepped NB 99 sport in CalClub at the moment.

True,
but the common vernacular definition of them would not include the OEM springs, or even the capability to use OEM springs, and may have other issues regarding final height/shock length/mounting ear/ camber plate/ etc.
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Shane Donahue wrote:
Ed T wrote:Coil-overs alone won't put a NB out of street class, as long as the perch height is stock. I'd defer to Dennis, as he has the only ES nationally prepped NB 99 sport in CalClub at the moment.

True,
but the common vernacular definition of them would not include the OEM springs, or even the capability to use OEM springs, and may have other issues regarding final height/shock length/mounting ear/ camber plate/ etc.
Lol you are correct, typical coilovers that have different perches and springs certainly would not qualify. But then I know some crazy individuals with Penske customs that shall remain unnamed :P
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage