Ok,I'll ask. What, if any details are there about...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Ok,I'll ask. What, if any details are there about...

Post by David Barrish »

What if any information is available to the voting members on this "new" event site in Santa Ana?

That some of us might have to coordinate not just myself to an event, but the family "team" to an event. That the location might require a bit of logistics adds to to adventure, right?

Delivery of "change" is an art, is this feeling like a Jackson Pollock. No?

David
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 711

Re: Ok,I'll ask. What, if any details are there about...

Post by Ed T »

Santa Anita, the horse racing track near Pasadena. Not Santa Ana
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

As soon as docs are signed all will be revealed. Google maps Santa Anita and you can see which lot has been used for autocross before. While this is short notice, this is the date they offered and we are eager to establish a relationship.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Rick Brown wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 am As soon as docs are signed all will be revealed. Google maps Santa Anita and you can see which lot has been used for autocross before. While this is short notice, this is the date they offered and we are eager to establish a relationship.
Rick is correct. We are moving quickly here so we can start a positive relationship that will hopefully lead to a steady rotation of events at Santa Anita. Logistics such as event schedules, site entrance and parking will be distributed as soon as we can confirm them. Please bear with us, I'm sure there will be some teething pains but we'll get through it!
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

David Barrish wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:45 pm What if any information is available to the voting members on this "new" event site in Santa Ana?
That some of us might have to coordinate not just myself to an event, but the family "team" to an event. That the location might require a bit of logistics adds to to adventure, right? Delivery of "change" is an art, is this feeling like a Jackson Pollock. No?
David
Surprise event.
I understand that getting dates and lots is difficult and this year has been challenging. It is difficult for participants to schedule around an incomplete calendar and pop up events. location sounds sounds interesting but on short notice it is difficult to change fights.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Please think of the Aug 3/4 event as a "Foot in the Door" event, that is helping us quickly establish precedent with the site for more future (scheduled well in advance) events there.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Sean Fenstermacher wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm Please think of the Aug 3/4 event as a "Foot in the Door" event, that is helping us quickly establish precedent with the site for more future (scheduled well in advance) events there.
Yep, we would be foolish to let the opportunity pass us by after we have been patiently waiting to get the track's attention. Now that some of their controversies are winding down we wanted to jump on the opportunity to establish a working relationship. Building for the future!
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

no this is an OUTRAGE! What is our region leadership thinking?!?!?! Adding a cool new venue as soon as it becomes available without actively coordinating with every single one of our members and their vacation schedules. I say we all give up autox entirely!!!!

:lol:
...that's why we have drops. I'm excited. We'll all survive.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Marshall Grice wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:10 pm no this is an OUTRAGE! What is our region leadership thinking?!?!?! Adding a cool new venue as soon as it becomes available without actively coordinating with every single one of our members and their vacation schedules. I say we all give up autox entirely!!!!

:lol:
...that's why we have drops. I'm excited. We'll all survive.
I expect this level of sarcasm from the trolls of the message boards that insist that only one point of view is valid. Some people are still running for year end points. Adding to the number of drops changes the game in play. Drops and extra opportunities to run for fun are no big deal when running in a pointless group like Time Only (M.G. not running for points). Running (you know racing) for points at local events in the old days was fun. I would love to practice at the new place even on short notice. I don't think the issue is about driving at a new location. The issue is about schedule inconsistency and how it changes the year end points for the people who still race. Unfortunately we looked at the calendar to make sure we were not missing *racing* events before making committmints to others. It is difficult to compete for points when the game and the schedule are your greatest competitor. Next year could be pointless?
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Doug, I understand your points and agree. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to make everyone happy, so the best alternative is adding the drop. Perhaps that can be refined to *only* drop this event if the member doesn't run, minimizing - though not eliminating - the effect of an extra drop. We do have to respect our volunteer pointskeeper too though and should probably get her input on the effort to do that.

If this event goes well, we're also tentatively on the Santa Anita calendar for October. We have options at Oct 12/13 and 19/20.

The biggest change - besides the obvious Calendar issue - is sound. Arcadia has a keen focus on noise pollution. We're going to enforce 93 dBA at 50' so we're roughly under 74dB by 500' They have a specific code for neighborhood sound that references lawnmower limits at that reading. So bring your San Diego setup...

Mike
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Mike Simanyi wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:37 am Doug, I understand your points and agree. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to make everyone happy, so the best alternative is adding the drop.
Mike
Actually, the best alternative is a two day practice. Why would the board even entertain a situation the purposely disadvantages those like Doug who run for points, is following the rules, and would like to be treated fairly?

As anyone with even rudimentary math skills can figure out, the is no way to mitigate the disadvantage of not being able to attend. It seems the board is purposely undermining the one huge advantage we have over competing autocross organizations....that is a high level of FAIR competition!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Like I said George: there's nothing we can do to make everyone happy. The poll we sent out has shown the majority of our respondents prefer a straight points event or a points event with an extra drop (the latter was the leader.)

We need to prove we are a "good tenant." Hosting a school or a two-day practice doesn't show our "normal" operation to the venue management and doesn't build the case that they should proceed with us for another event later this year and multiple events next year.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Heads up for everyone: the MSR event will be live shortly - likely within 15-20 minutes.