Potential CoDrive Request, for a friend

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Thomas Guest Jr.

Potential CoDrive Request, for a friend

Post by Thomas Guest Jr. »

Hello everyone,

I'll be coming out to my first Autocross on the [s]Wrong[/s] West Coast this Sunday, Aug 4th.

My 00 Celica GT will be running uncompetitively in DSP, with a friend codriving. I plan on cell phone testing my sound, but I genuinely have no idea what it will read.

So, going back to the Subject of the post, is there anyone running in Group 2 that would be willing to possibly let my friend codrive if I get the boot? I don't have the time/resources right now to bring any sort of sound control, so I'm willing to donate to the club if I get the boot. HOWEVER, my codriver may possibly be an Alien. Over in NCR and SCR he was very, very successful with only about 4 or 5 events under his belt.

He's still learning the ropes of the SCCA, so I'm trying to help him out where I can. I'll happily show the results from the events he attended to anyone that may be willing to codrive, there will be some names recognizable in the National-Level Autocross community from the events that he's attended.

Alright, hopefully this wasn't too weird of a request, loof forward to meeting you all this weekend!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Potential CoDrive Request, for a friend

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'll be there on Sunday, and I should be I running in the second group. I'm running HS, though I'm currently listed in an incorrect class (DS). If your friend is a patient man, I'd be happy to let him flog my car. Why do I suggest that he's patient? My car is a bone stock 2016 Mazda 3 (with the 2.0, not the 2.5), featuring bald tires and no visible exhaust pipes. Passing sound? πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ Priuses sound like Freightliners in comparison. This is not a fast car. I already told someone, I hope Rick packs his sundial. On the plus side, though, your friend won't have to worry about subtle throttle modulation. The prevailing strategy is to try to put your right foot through the firewall.

Anyway, if you need it, I'm an option.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Kurt Rahn wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:30 pm I'll be there on Sunday, and I should be I running in the second group. I'm running HS, though I'm currently listed in an incorrect class (DS).
Re-classed you into HS.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks! Just remember to pack that sundial πŸ˜‰
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Kurt Rahn wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:14 pm Thanks! Just remember to pack that sundial πŸ˜‰
The displays only show up to 99.999, so if you are over that it will look like a really good time.....
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Thomas Guest Jr.

Post by Thomas Guest Jr. »

Kurt Rahn wrote: ↑Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:30 pm I'll be there on Sunday, and I should be I running in the second group. I'm running HS, though I'm currently listed in an incorrect class (DS). If your friend is a patient man, I'd be happy to let him flog my car. Why do I suggest that he's patient? My car is a bone stock 2016 Mazda 3 (with the 2.0, not the 2.5), featuring bald tires and no visible exhaust pipes. Passing sound? πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£ Priuses sound like Freightliners in comparison. This is not a fast car. I already told someone, I hope Rick packs his sundial. On the plus side, though, your friend won't have to worry about subtle throttle modulation. The prevailing strategy is to try to put your right foot through the firewall.

Anyway, if you need it, I'm an option.
Sounds great, I'll chase you down while we are out there in case it gets weird. The dude is genuinely naturally gifted but doesn't yet have his own autocross whip, and my woefully ill prepped DSP Celica won't really teach him much, other than how to greatly dislike open diffs!
Eyezack87
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 24

Post by Eyezack87 »

If you guys get booted but still stick around for fun runs, you can have a few runs in my Camry. I don't plan on spending the actual race event spectacularly snap oversteering each corner on the almost dead RSRR so I'll be having a bit more fun in my buddy's MRS instead
Isaac Lam
Blue 2010 STF Camry LE
Black 2001 ES MR2 Spyder (co-driver)
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Way back when we used to have a club car which we used for class winner run-offs, seniors and similar.

Maybe now we need a club car for those curbed by the sound meter. :)
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Just signed up for Sunday in my HS Bolt LimpMode EV on nearly bald Hankook RS4s.
No sound, but heat is a problem...

Taking co-driver requests from anybody willing to bring extra ice and sprayer :)
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Eric, if it turns out you need more water than you brought, I'll have a tank full in the camper. And I'm running last, so I'll be there. -- Bill
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Thanks Bill! I have 3 gallons in sprayers and ice in coolers, which should be enough for four morning runs. Fun runs might be a problem, though...
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Eric Wong wrote: ↑Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:37 pm Just signed up for Sunday in my HS Bolt LimpMode EV on nearly bald Hankook RS4s.
No sound, but heat is a problem...

Taking co-driver requests from anybody willing to bring extra ice and sprayer :)
Looks like the heat wasn't too much of a problem. Nice driving!
==============
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Kurt Rahn wrote: ↑Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 pm Looks like the heat wasn't too much of a problem.
I don't know, I felt like melting.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Thanks Kurt, I managed to stay off the cones on my last run and good competing with you!
Probably sprayed two quarts of water at the radiator before each run so the climate control thought it was 75F.
I wish we had a garden hose in grid to spray faster :D