Who was your first AutoX instructor?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Re: Who was your first AutoX instructor?

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Max Hayter wrote: Last instructor was Tom Berry... humbling :shock:
Think of what it's like to be Marshall and Christine and have to actually try and beat him in his own car.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Mike Simanyi slaps people in the head :o
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I've told the story many times here, but its still my favorite instructor story.

Early on Stacey and I would ocassionally rent cars. Once a cool Lexus SC430 for a 2nd in SM. But usually a v6 automatic Rustang. But we'd put the barracuda's tire and wheels on them. 17x9 lightweight Enkei's and 275 Kumho Victoracers. In a V6 automatic those tires offered more grip than car. Theresa Berry jumped in the car with me on a practice day. Nearly the whole lap she screamed.... "FLOOR IT!!! GAS GAS GAS!!! COME ON!!! FLOOR IT!!!!"

On that course there where about three throttle lifts. The rest of the course was full throttle. I guess it was a little different ride than that screaming RX3 or the ASP Corvette.

Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Max Hayter wrote:Mike Simanyi slaps people in the head :o
Only when they earn it, and are stubborn enough *not* to respond to verbal comments.

Ask Gio how effective it is. :lol:
Darren Cole
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 765

Post by Darren Cole »

The first ride i had at an autocross was with John Kestler in the Lotus Elise (first run in that car that day) at the Antelope Valley fair grounds April 2007. I never thought a car could stick like that! I banged my knee into the door and center console. "Hold on", he said. We get out of the car and he says the time was ok, but he just had some commuting tires on it. :shock:

When i finally came out for my first event, i think Mako was my instructor. He gave me lots of instructions. Go fast, turn harder, turn less, slow down. He taught me steering the car with the throttle. AWESOME, i thought! What else can i do? Mako has taught me a great deal. Tom Berry got me to look at the driving line differetly after a novice walk, "you are either turning or getting ready to turn".

I love this sport and this group is amazing.

Thanks to everyone who makes it possible!
Darren
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:Mike Simanyi slaps people in the head :o
Only when they earn it, and are stubborn enough *not* to respond to verbal comments.

Ask Gio how effective it is. :lol:
Effective enough for me to graduate to become a BMWCCA auto-x instructor, a few years later. Thanks Patch! :)
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

I've "instructed" twice now. I've never seen these people again. Is there a message here?
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Curt Luther wrote:I've "instructed" twice now. I've never seen these people again. Is there a message here?
Dunno, but two of the guys I've helped out these past few months were ahead of me in PAX at the last event - one in my own class! :o
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Keith Brown
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 96

Post by Keith Brown »

Reijo Silvennoinen wrote: However I do recall who my first Evo instructors were about 8 years ago: Ron Bauer, Glenn Hernandez and Nick Leverone.....

Reijo
Ron and Nick were my first two Evo instructors as well... same school. Kent, during Soloweek 1999. My first actual instructor was MIke Leuty, he taught me good seating and hand postions... he had the same car, porsche 924S, and helped me figure out how to get my knees folded up under the wheel.
Keith
1990 Miata with the really big roll bar
http://www.chaserace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.tightntidyracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vorschlag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.ast-usa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

Steve Abbott was the first person to help me. He walked the course with me and showed me what everything meant. kept asking how I was doing, and offered help with air pressure and basic skills.

First person to give an instructor run though was Jason Isley. I think it was something along the lines of "stop shifting so much. put it in second and go" also something like "you need to get closer to those cones, your way to far away."
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Ernest Limbo

Post by Ernest Limbo »

My first instructor was Mari. She told me to get the car to where it looks like I'm about to run into the cone, then I'll be close. That was the moment I learned where the corners of car are. My next instructors were Art and Keith. Keith kept daring me to hit the brakes with my left foot at the nascar section of the novice school.
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

1st was Brian Chmielewski at a Cal Club school in 2004. Since then, I've had Tom Kotzian and Junior Johnson in EVO school, and Tom Berry at a Cal Club school.

I've got no excuse for not going fast.