General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Site opinions

Post by George Schilling »

The site looks great! I'm happy. Great work people. Who's doing the heavy lifting on this? :D
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Re: Site opinions

Post by Randy Chase »

Good idea for a thread.

Thanks to all doing the work.

Now, can we close the doors and not let the bad people in? :)

I hope I don't have to spell out who I am talking about cough*schenker*cough....

:) Just kidding!

Again... site looks great. Nice features. Who do I have to fluff...er....contact about advertising????
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Randy Chase wrote:Good idea for a thread.

Thanks to all doing the work.

Now, can we close the doors and not let the bad people in? :)

I hope I don't have to spell out who I am talking about cough*schenker*cough....

:) Just kidding!

Again... site looks great. Nice features. Who do I have to fluff...er....contact about advertising????
I just copied the advertising from the main board, dunno how they decide on that stuff.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

I assume I have to talk to Will K. Does he know you are doing all of this? :) :) :)
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Aaron Goldsmith

Randy Chase wrote:I assume I have to talk to Will K. Does he know you are doing all of this? :) :) :)

Oh yeah, Will did all the solo2.com side scripting, my friend john caldwell did the forums.solo2 side account handling script and I did the board install and configuration.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

memberlist.php?mode=leaders

i think the admins list sums up the heavy hitters.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

To advertise on the board usually involves a contribution to Solo2. They all pay something like $300 (I can't remember the exact amount). Mind you, I can't imagine you would need anymore than mine and Aaron signatures :lol:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

A real forum, welcome to Y2K. :lol: While the other one is better than nothing, being able to search and find old threads will be nice.
Bill Schenker
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Randy Chase wrote: Now, can we close the doors and not let the bad people in? :)

I hope I don't have to spell out who I am talking about cough*schenker*cough.... Who do I have to fluff...er.......???
Tooo laaaaaaate. And after THAT crack, I believe you owe me a fluff.

And P.S. Isn't it appropriate that my first post is a well crafted retort to Randy? I think so!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

lol

Welcome Bill!
Aaron Goldsmith

Bill Schenker wrote:
Randy Chase wrote: Now, can we close the doors and not let the bad people in? :)

I hope I don't have to spell out who I am talking about cough*schenker*cough.... Who do I have to fluff...er.......???
Tooo laaaaaaate. And after THAT crack, I believe you owe me a fluff.

And P.S. Isn't it appropriate that my first post is a well crafted retort to Randy? I think so!
Don't make me move this thread to off topic like eckstrand's post!
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

I'm worried we might not have as many replies to posts as we do on the legacy (is that the right word) solo2.com board with all the different categories for posts we have.

I like how Solo2.com has one (and only 1) category. So everyone is forced to read whatever's new.

I was thinking San Diego boards. I don't know if the categories or the people have anything to do with it, but it seems like more threads are read on Solo2?

/discuss
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

I must say that I too like the idea of all topics in one place - this format takes more time 'cause of the navigating (and g*d knows my GF is wondering what DO I do spending all this time on AX boards), but other than that quibble, I LOVE THIS.

Bill
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Keep in mind that forums are used for different purposes. If the idea is an easy back and forth chat function, more of a social thing, where you can give each other cyber wedgies... then a single place for all topics is a better idea (and it will also seem more active). When people start forums, they often go nuts creating all kinds of categories and I tell them to not do that until the traffic justifies it.

But the other reason is a database of information and separate forums works much better for that. If there is a place you can restrict your searching to, or you can just go and read and not get all the BMW-vs-Ferrari stuff, some people will read that forum for that information.

Now it must be said, this is helped if the userbase tries harder to stay on topic and not derail every thread. :)

For those who just want to be able to read all the posts, there is a way to do that and it is no different. Just click the READ NEW POSTS link at the upper left on the page. That will give you a list of all the recent posts without regard to category. Now you don't have to navigate and GOD KNOWS some of you will pay no attention to staying on topic of posting in the proper category anyway. :)
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

One of the problems with the region is that it seems a good number of the people have ADH...hey, Mike's avatar is awesome. Very cool Mike.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

O.K. makes sense to me now.

And, hey Randy; look, a bird!
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Is there anyway I can change my default board solo2 language from Max's "British English" to "Real English?"
I'm afraid words like "Bangars & Mash" "Fish & Chips" "argy-bargy & wanker" might appear and I won't know where to click!
Aaron Goldsmith

One of the nice feature of the board is that moderators can split messages out of threads and move them to thier own topic.. then probably move them to off topic for bill eckstrand and shilling to argue over.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Randy Chase wrote:Keep in mind that forums are used for different purposes. If the idea is an easy back and forth chat function, more of a social thing, where you can give each other cyber wedgies... then a single place for all topics is a better idea (and it will also seem more active). When people start forums, they often go nuts creating all kinds of categories and I tell them to not do that until the traffic justifies it.

But the other reason is a database of information and separate forums works much better for that. If there is a place you can restrict your searching to, or you can just go and read and not get all the BMW-vs-Ferrari stuff, some people will read that forum for that information.

Now it must be said, this is helped if the userbase tries harder to stay on topic and not derail every thread. :)

For those who just want to be able to read all the posts, there is a way to do that and it is no different. Just click the READ NEW POSTS link at the upper left on the page. That will give you a list of all the recent posts without regard to category. Now you don't have to navigate and GOD KNOWS some of you will pay no attention to staying on topic of posting in the proper category anyway. :)
On second look, I think we have the maximum amount of Topic Areas that we need.
  1. A Place for newbies
  2. A for sale place
  3. Rules Discussion
  4. Solo Discussion
    and
  5. Off topic
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Randy Chase wrote:hey, Mike's avatar is awesome. Very cool Mike.
I chuckle a little bit every time I see my own avatar
Aaron Goldsmith

Wheew.. site is back up and running, had a sever failure and had to switch to a new hosting provider.
Aaron Goldsmith

Looks like we'll be going live early next week. ;)
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

About time - the old site is intolerable!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Wheew.. site is back up and running, had a sever failure and had to switch to a new hosting provider.
If the site can use Linux based servers, I have 2 dedicated and managed servers that are up 99% or better. Happy to donate space and bw.
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

A BIG public thank you for a modern site guys!!!

Palero, Change the Avatar, it's freaking me out.

phBB FTW 8-)
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM