More or Less Wheel Offset

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Andrew Hsieh

More or Less Wheel Offset

Post by Andrew Hsieh »

Is it better to go with less offset in a wheel so that you can maximize the stance of the car?

Say for example, I had a choice between a wheel that is +20 or one that is +30. I would go with the +20 offset to widen the track of the car.

From my understanding, I believe that increasing the track width creates more scrub radius and loss of steering feel, but it is offset with increased overall grip during cornering.
John Coffey
Club: PSCC
Car#: 250

Re: More or Less Wheel Offset

Post by John Coffey »

Track width is the divisor in the lateral load transfer calculation. Increasing track width reduces lateral load transfer and that's a good thing. Track width can also be use to tune each end of the car and "generally" you want a wider front then rear track.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Then there is the issue of more leverage putting more pressure on the bearings. 10 mm is probably OK though?

Doesn't widening the stance = lowering the car as far a geometry is concerned? ... Marshall!
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

John Coffey wrote:Track width is the divisor in the lateral load transfer calculation. Increasing track width reduces lateral load transfer and that's a good thing. Track width can also be use to tune each end of the car and "generally" you want a wider front then rear track.
Autocross does have a semi-unique caveat in that wider cars are challenged more by slalom and multi-transitional elements. So there is some trade-off on that side.
Zak Gutmann

Post by Zak Gutmann »

In my experience, wheel offset doesn't realy make a difference until you are playing with over 15mm either way.