Poll on Reducing Stock Class Costs

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Chad Stubblefield
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 877

Re: Poll on Reducing Stock Class Costs

Post by Chad Stubblefield »

people who just bought newer stock cars (06 Z06 - Samy) might like this idea. Saving tons of dough for custom double konis, front sway bars and the cost of R's on big giant stock rims, big money.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:people who just bought newer stock cars (06 Z06 - Samy) might like this idea. Saving tons of dough for custom double konis, front sway bars and the cost of R's on big giant stock rims, big money.
Check the price of the stock tire on that car, or any hot ST tire that will fit (if there are any).... :o
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:people who just bought newer stock cars (06 Z06 - Samy) might like this idea. Saving tons of dough for custom double konis, front sway bars and the cost of R's on big giant stock rims, big money.
SK1

Besides, we're back to the point that most people starting out bring what they have, not what makes a nationally competitive Stock class car. The number of Tim Albins who hunt down the best car for the class that's already well prep'd are few and far between.

In a perfect world, we'd have all novices run in the same group with a couple of practice/instructor runs and three official runs, but we're not in that perfect world. The number of novices fluctuates too much to do that given the number of regular competitors we have EVEN with the reduced turnout.
Jason Isley BS RX8

btw C6Z06 tires...

OE $426 front, $390 rear.
Only other ST tire is the RE050A (yeah that will be competitive) $349 F $432 R.

Hoosier A6 $290 F $379 R.

Yep streets are way cheaper. :lol:
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Hoosier A6 $212.00 - Tire Rack
Dunlop Z1 $119.00- Tire Rack.

:thumbup:
Jason Rhoades

Post by Jason Rhoades »

I support the addition of any new class, so long as it is populated entirely by ladies resembling Tom Denham's avatar. The only rule will be a 1000cc displacement limit - of saline. Silicone will be allowed 1200cc because it feels more natural.
Bob Beamesderfer

Denham does it again. :gpower: :D :D :thumbup:
Jason Isley BS RX8

Jason Rhoades wrote:I support the addition of any new class, so long as it is populated entirely by ladies resembling Tom Denham's avatar. The only rule will be a 1000cc displacement limit - of saline. Silicone will be allowed 1200cc because it feels more natural.
You tested this on Hogans rubber girl?

What is the Pax factor if they are real? :thumbup:
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Denham does it again. :gpower: :D :D :thumbup:
Solo Talk is entirely moderated by Women.. I figure if they don't care, i don't care.. haha.
Jason Rhoades

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:What is the Pax factor if they are real? :thumbup:
I want to watch a competition where the classes are:
A-Stock
B-Stock
C-Stock
D-Stock
DD-Stock

Heh, would bring all new meaning to the "Street Prepared" category...
Bob Beamesderfer

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:Denham does it again. :gpower: :D :D :thumbup:
Solo Talk is entirely moderated by Women.. I figure if they don't care, i don't care.. haha.
Mrs. Goldsmith, I have no objection to Mr. Denham's display of the wonderous single physical feature that distinguishes primates from other mammals.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I've always been an F-Stock kinda guy.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I've always been an F-Stock kinda guy.
Most of your older models in classes over C Stock really should consider going to Street Prepared...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

rental cars for all. each club gets assigned a national chain that the clubs cars have to come from.
you get to rent 2 of what ever they carry for the weekend, and all the team members use it. shouldn't cost more than ~$30 a head for a good size team.
we can get rid of a lot of useless classes that way too
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Aaron Goldsmith

Chuck Fowler wrote:rental cars for all. each club gets assigned a national chain that the clubs cars have to come from.
you get to rent 2 of what ever they carry for the weekend, and all the team members use it. shouldn't cost more than ~$30 a head for a good size team.
we can get rid of a lot of useless classes that way too
CASOC Calls Hertz.
Curt Luther

Post by Curt Luther »

Curt Luther wrote:Curt, who's gonna blow his economic stimulus check on Dunlops...no...screw it, Bridgestones. They cost MORE.
I just pulled the trigger on the 'Stones, but I screwed up. $130 ea. for the 'Stones, on special at The Rack, $119 ea. for the 'Lops, but you get a $100 rebate on a set of 4 'Stones. So I'm actually saving $42 :(

Oh, well. More Image for that custom front sway bar...
Aaron Goldsmith

Curt Luther wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:Curt, who's gonna blow his economic stimulus check on Dunlops...no...screw it, Bridgestones. They cost MORE.
I just pulled the trigger on the 'Stones, but I screwed up. $130 ea. for the 'Stones, on special at The Rack, $119 ea. for the 'Lops, but you get a $100 rebate on a set of 4 'Stones. So I'm actually saving $42 :(

If you were a real spender you'd have ordered Yoks. You can actualy get PAID for Stones.
Curt Luther

Post by Curt Luther »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:

If you were a real spender you'd have ordered Yoks. You can actualy get PAID for Stones.
1. No makey my size in Yoks.
B. No contingency in SK2.
iii. Thought about having them shaved for that $100, but The Rack screwed that up on our last set for the STS/X car :x
Dave Baer

Post by Dave Baer »

This is just my noob opinion but to me a class called "stock" should be exactly that...no tweaking of the car allowed. The car should be as it is off the showroom floor maybe with your choice of DOT approved tires. I ran my first event last month in D-Stock and was curious how the Impreza next to me in staging was able to run in a stock class with the number of mods it had. Kinda seemed odd to me.
Aaron Goldsmith

Dave Baer wrote:This is just my noob opinion but to me a class called "stock" should be exactly that...no tweaking of the car allowed. The car should be as it is off the showroom floor maybe with your choice of DOT approved tires. I ran my first event last month in D-Stock and was curious how the Impreza next to me in staging was able to run in a stock class with the number of mods it had. Kinda seemed odd to me.
But what happens when the car is 10 years old and you need to swap out the shocks but you can't get OEM models anymore... that's why shocks are allowed, and you hit on exactly the problem, those race tires on that Impreza ARE D.O.T. approved with 2 grooves in them and treadwear around 40 or so.

Stock class rules have been around for so long now people have entirely figured out exactly how to push them to their max. Mods are very VERY restricted, mostly to wear items, but people have figured out how to use those items to compensate for the things you aren't allowed to change.
Curt Luther

Post by Curt Luther »

Dave Baer wrote:This is just my noob opinion but to me a class called "stock" should be exactly that...no tweaking of the car allowed. The car should be as it is off the showroom floor maybe with your choice of DOT approved tires. I ran my first event last month in D-Stock and was curious how the Impreza next to me in staging was able to run in a stock class with the number of mods it had. Kinda seemed odd to me.
Again, stock ain't stock, it's a level of prep. Originally, many years ago, stock was stock. With time, certain allowances were made for safety (sway bars) and common sense (shocks, tires) reasons. With today's cars, the allowed mods MAY seem to not make sense, but, one more time, stock ain't stock anymore. The allowed mods have continued and probably will for a long time. Change the name of the class? Maybe, but I don't see it happening.
Bob Beamesderfer

As I pointed out early, this would essentially create an even smaller handful of overdog cars in Stock. Shocks and R-comps help to level things out.