Goodbye Cal Clubbers!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kevin Price

Re: Goodbye Cal Clubbers!

Post by Kevin Price »

James,
Hope you enjoy Houston- my wife's family (parents and sister's family) live there. In fact they're there right now visiting, and I'm heading out on Thursday. Where are you livin? We'll be down in Seabrook.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My wife's family is in Houston too, so I've had to spend way tooooo much time there.

Nice lunch buffets at the strip clubs. Other than that...

I find Houston traffic even worse than Los Angeles. So, I'd really suggest trying to live close to work. Or drive the commute in rush hour and experience the pain before signing the lease. Except I find rush hour in Houston to be 24/7. It'll be better in 80-90 years when the major freeway construction projects reach completion. :shock:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
James Wilson
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 61

Post by James Wilson »

Ugh, I'd be okay with traffic if I had an automatic (transmission...and assault rifle?) and good air conditioning.

We are waiting to hear back on a nice house on Richmond Ave & Gessener in the Memorial Park area/ Westchase district...I'll know by about 6pm local time, wish us luck!!!! I have been in tiny hotels for 6 days with a toddler, two cats, a dog, and my wife...I hate it :(

Just got the Saab back from the shop, it feels $300 lighter.
'00 Subaru Legacy
http://www.Cam-FX.com
United States of Texas
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I like Richmond and Gessner. Very convenient.

Our home base was in Piney Point and Hedwig Village towards the 10 from where you're looking. I was usually headed towards Gessner and Westheimer or Richmond for shopping, eating, movies, whatever....

I enjoyed Houston at times. But the traffic really really sucked.

The family sold that house and now we don't go to Houston regularly. But my brother- in-law is near Cinco Ranch in Katy and I have other more distant relatives spread around the city. We'll get out there again eventually for family visits, hopefully timed around a tour or divisional or something in future years.

All our really really nice furniture is in storage in Katy. Stacey keeps threatening a trip just to hug her antiques.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard
Club: PSCC
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:All our really really nice furniture is in storage in Katy. Stacey keeps threatening a trip just to hug her antiques.
Just don't let her know that you can haul furniture in that nice new trailer of yours.

Of course, where in LA would you put it, other than another storage lot?
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Yeah, sadly that's why its staying in Katy for now... And 12x30 climate controlled secure storage spaces are cheaper in Katy than LA.
Robert is going to have some nice stuff...
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard

Post by David Avard »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Yeah, sadly that's why its staying in Katy for now... And 12x30 climate controlled secure storage spaces are cheaper in Katy than LA.
Robert is going to have some nice stuff...
Assuming you don't bring it into the house until he's, oh, 30. :D
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
James Wilson
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 61

Post by James Wilson »

We got our place WOOOOT!

Moving in tomorrow, lots to do, but just wanted to let you all know! PM if you'd like the address....I know, people don't "correspond" any more. 9600 Block of Richmond Ave, 77063 zip.

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'00 Subaru Legacy
http://www.Cam-FX.com
United States of Texas
David Avard

Post by David Avard »

Congrats!

Is this a purchase or rental?
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
David Avard

Post by David Avard »

David Avard wrote:Congrats!

Is this a purchase or rental?
Wow, I thought houses were cheap in Topeka!
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

James Wilson wrote:Ugh, I'd be okay with traffic if I had an automatic (transmission...and assault rifle?) and good air conditioning.

We are waiting to hear back on a nice house on Richmond Ave & Gessener in the Memorial Park area/ Westchase district...I'll know by about 6pm local time, wish us luck!!!! I have been in tiny hotels for 6 days with a toddler, two cats, a dog, and my wife...I hate it :(

Just got the Saab back from the shop, it feels $300 lighter.
Yep, you live near my sister in law and family. Nice area. Nicer than Seabrook.

Houses are cheap in Houston, but property tax is around 3%. But there's no state income tax. So I guess its a really cheap place to live if you earn a lot of money but are homeless.

Oh, and about the assault rifle, you've lived in Texas for a week and you don't have one yet? Must be a shotgun kinda guy.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Kevin Price wrote:
Oh, and about the assault rifle, you've lived in Texas for a week and you don't have one yet? Must be a shotgun kinda guy.
The sound of chambering a shell in a Remington pump is usually enough to give pause to potential intruders.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

But the bangers from N.O. really don't care what you chamber, pump, or aim at them. You'd better be prepared to drop them fairly quickly, before they drop you. Murder rate is insane. And I saw some startling out in the open gang activity from the N.O. refugees in some of the nicest most upscale areas of town. And guys shopping in the Galleria or buying lapdances at the clubs with STACKS of FEMA debit cards. STACKS. Totally out in the open. They would show them off like flash rolls of cash. Your tax dollars at work.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:But the bangers from N.O. really don't care what you chamber, pump, or aim at them. You'd better be prepared to drop them fairly quickly, before they drop you. Murder rate is insane. And I saw some startling out in the open gang activity from the N.O. refugees in some of the nicest most upscale areas of town. And guys shopping in the Galleria or buying lapdances at the clubs with STACKS of FEMA debit cards. STACKS. Totally out in the open. They would show them off like flash rolls of cash. Your tax dollars at work.
Sounds like a job for the Dutch automatic shotgun, aka, the Street Sweeper. [Used by the Secret Service and the Diplomatic Security Service.] :shock: