My Father's Day at the Autocross yesterday....

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Oli Thordarson

My Father's Day at the Autocross yesterday....

Post by Oli Thordarson »

Hi Y'all:

I went to the AutoClub Speedway Autocross yesterday. I had not been out since my humiliation of last April. I brought out my two boys to watch and hang-out. I am really appreciative that Tom Barret took my 14 year-old son Kristjan out for three X runs. Kristjan really enjoyed it. Tom laid down three really good runs. He was consistent and nailed all his times into a reasonably tight grouping.

I got to work the course, too. It is really impressive to watch some amazing drivers lay down some fast laps. The car control, the delicate balance and the superb manipulation of slip angles coupled with amazing rythm control... well it sounds like I am talking about sex. I think a good run is about the same thing....

Those of you who saw me run out there can attest to me tripping the clock at 64:xx. Although that is a good time, I am a little embarrassed by that run. Although I only got to trip the clock once I got a good time. Renee, you have to vouch for me with Steve Abbott that I tripped the clock at 64.xx and I never hit a cone.

All the CalClub group was great and I am hoping to come back in August. My two sons age 14 and 8 want to run their karts during the lunch time runs.

Thanks,

Oli

PS. A couple of you said you enjoy my road racing videos. Here is one from my race at AutoClub Speedway the Sunday before.
This one is massive at 515 megabytes, but the resolution is worth it. If you have good bandwidth and/or want to see the better video quality, I suggest you right click on the link and save it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.alvaka.net/AlvakaNetMotorSpor ... eedway.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shortly after minute 30 you can see the fateful event of the day unfold in my wide-view mirror. There is also another spin in my mirror on the first lap and I do a cone trick about 10 minutes into the video. You guys should have fun watching this one.

Here is a slimmer Google Video version.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5086231698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one from Buttonwillow in May where I had to start at the back of the pack:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0305&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;