Best 140 Wear Rating Tires?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Best 140 Wear Rating Tires?

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm starting to think about my next set of tires, and I think I'm going to go with a 140 treadwear rated set, so I'm both SK2 legal and street legal. Max mentioned that Dunlop has come out with a nice tire for a reasonable price. What are some other options, what are your preferences and why?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Best 140 Wear Rating Tires?

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The best are probably still Yoko Neova's for a heavy car.

But, I'd probably be talking to Rick Jung about the Dunlap's.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Reijo Silvennoinen
Car#: 60

Post by Reijo Silvennoinen »

Ran Dunlops on Ron's S2000 on Saturday......ran 65.0... seconds....could've cut another couple of tenths off of that....say 64.8. I like them....work really well in the rain too.

Reijo
Reijo
BS - CASOC
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." - Earl Weaver
http://www.RASEInc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:The best are probably still Yoko Neova's for a heavy car.

But, I'd probably be talking to Rick Jung about the Dunlap's.
Why can't he talk to me about them? :D

My car is 3120lbs FWIW.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Max Hayter wrote:
Why can't he talk to me about them?
Because it's easier to understand Richard Jung
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

LOL. You guys crack me up. So what's the model name/# for the new Dunlops?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Bite me Palero :lol:

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

You were right, Max. I just looked them up for my size (245/40-18) the Dunlops are almost $70 cheaper per tire ($183 vs $249) vs the only other sub-200 tire offered that fits my wheels (the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R). For $280 more, those Bridgestones better have rockets on them. I've got a few more months on my existing tires, so hopefully they'll have some user feedback/test results on the Dunlops by then.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
==============
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

FYI, a bone stock 02 WRX wagon, 95,000 miles on it, ran a low 72. on Sun. With Dunlop Z1 's on it.
I blame the tires, the car itself sucks pretty bad stock wise.
I drove it as an instructor, felt really good even with the huge body movement.
Was the drivers second event too.
Impressive. :)
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Yokohama Advan sports are rated at 180 and I have had good results with them in sk1 and also trackdays. Very durable, pretty good traction if you keep the air down in them. Very good wear for a grippy tire. check price for your size.

Good luck with them.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Kurt ... tires make the biggest difference ... so it's a very short list. Basically what the National STS, STX and STU drivers are using, ie. use whatever Max, Greg Peng, Mike S, Rick Jung and Jason/Stephen, etc. are using. You can check the national event results on the SCCA site and see what are being used.
James Wilson
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 61

Post by James Wilson »

+1 Dunlop Z1, price and performance.
'00 Subaru Legacy
http://www.Cam-FX.com
United States of Texas
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Mako is right, except that you need to be more specific than that instruction.

The best little car tire may not be the best big car tire. Maybe because of performance, or maybe because of size availability.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

BTW-Kurt, after floundering around with several different Pasadena tire shops I found Island Tire just east of San Gabriel Blvd on Colorado. If you've been in the area forever, its the old Caldwell Racing Tire shop.

Jose is the manager and he always takes care of me well. I also use his shop for basic service items, order tires from him or have him install my tirerack shaved 'stones. If you use him let him know you're a friend of mine.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:The best are probably still Yoko Neova's for a heavy car.
Keep tellin people that, PLEASE. We're havin enough trouble with just Richard runnin the Star Specs.

Fingers crossed that the eastern and northwests folk decide Falkens are the tires to run in Topeka.

To the question at had.. Azenis are actualy pretty good for Street/AX tires since they'll last you a while. Any of the 140 tread tires are 6 month tires though..
Aaron Goldsmith

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Mako is right, except that you need to be more specific than that instruction.

The best little car tire may not be the best big car tire. Maybe because of performance, or maybe because of size availability.
Agreed, as I understand it the Dunlops are pretty much a non-issue in sts and sts2 because of sizing, while the Bridgestones just don't seem to work in STU..
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: To the question at had.. Azenis are actualy pretty good for Street/AX tires since they'll last you a while.
Did you not hear my "F-Bomb" tirade on Sunday? If not, how?

The Azenis heat up like toaster ovens and unless you have less than freezing water, you can't cool them down enough. Kurt might be OK since he runs by himself, but Will and I were co-driving and couldn't cool them off enough. That resulted in my tirade after my 3rd run...

That being said, get the Dunlops.

I've got a set of the Bridgestone RE-01Rs in the bullpen right now, but I have two special circumstances. One is my size, 225/50-16, is actually cheaper, with rebates, than the Dunlops. Two is that my presenting sponsor, RedShift, is a Bridgestone house. I hear the 'Stones also require some cooling, but they aren't nearly as bad as the Flakens.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Aaron Goldsmith

Curt Luther wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote: To the question at had.. Azenis are actualy pretty good for Street/AX tires since they'll last you a while.

The Azenis heat up like toaster ovens and unless you have less than freezing water, you can't cool them down enough. Kurt might be OK since he runs by himself, but Will and I were co-driving and couldn't cool them off enough. That resulted in my tirade after my 3rd run...

I've got a set of the Bridgestone RE-01Rs in the bullpen right now, but I have two special circumstances. One is my size, 225/50-16, is actually cheaper, with rebates, than the Dunlops. Two is that my presenting sponsor, RedShift, is a Bridgestone house. I hear the 'Stones also require some cooling, but they aren't nearly as bad as the Flakens.
Depends on his Priorities Curt. How often does he want to have to get new tires? I agree I ran azenis multiple times through on the supra, they heat cycle out pretty hard after a bit of use on the street, but because of that they'll last 6 months of events and street driving.. the last 2 or so months won't be a ton of fun though..

All of them have their quirks, really I found that using the same set for street and AX gave me the worst of both worlds.. but at the time I had no choice.
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Which Curt/Kurt are you referring to :)

Azenis are cool for everyday, occasional AutoX, track duty. You really can't beat the price. I've got 20,000 miles and numerous AutoX runs on my last two sets on the SK2 Civic. The event this last weekend showed their achillies though. Heat is not your friend with them. Again, Kurt might be OK running solo, but add a co-driver, and they're done...

I gotta buck says the Dunlops, at full tread, will be just as good as the Azenis in everyday use and better on the course. I know Pete and Tyson are happy with them using them this way.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

IMO, The Falken 615's are a great value, but perhaps not the best tire for newer drivers since they break away fairly suddenly at the limit. Or, perhaps that is a good thing?! The Yok's have a nice wide controllable window while the Bridgestone's seem sloppy at the limit ... on semi heavy Suby's. Haven't driven on the Dunlops yet.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Anyone hear anything more about the Toyo R1R ... that Andy Hollis was using on one end of his Civic at El Toro, and Mihai is using on his STX/WRX? Mihai says that on his car they're slower I believe then his RE01 Stones. Supposedly they're quite soft. Perhaps good for cooler weather, lighter cars and ... HPT?

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.as ... gory=sport

Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Hollis said the Toyos have the same problem as the T1R had, soft sidewalls. He ran them only on the back of his car at the Pro. That said, the Toyo was the best street tire in the rain that I ever ran on the Miata, better than Dunlop SP8000s and they didn't sound like truck tires either.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Toyo's have the advantage of being extra light ... but at the expense of softish sidewalls. I guess that issue would be exasperated on a heavier car.

I LOVED their TS1. Great street tire, amazing in the wet. Very similar to the top rated Goodyear GS-D3 ... same tread design.
Darren Cole
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 765

Post by Darren Cole »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:

Depends on his Priorities Curt. How often does he want to have to get new tires? I agree I ran azenis multiple times through on the supra, they heat cycle out pretty hard after a bit of use on the street, but because of that they'll last 6 months of events and street driving.. the last 2 or so months won't be a ton of fun though..

All of them have their quirks, really I found that using the same set for street and AX gave me the worst of both worlds.. but at the time I had no choice.
I disagree, the Azenis are more fun on a stock WRX, the rear will finally come around! But fresh tires are still faster :thumbup:

+1 for Dunlops - have them on my S2k. Love them. Will be getting them for the WRX when needed.