General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Re: Best 140 Wear Rating Tires?

Post by Michael Palero »

So what are Z1s like when you ask for more than they can give?

We heard about what Curt had to say about the Azenis and what Mako said about the Neovas and the Toyos and Stones--

What are the Z1s like when you push them?
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Michael Palero wrote:So what are Z1s like when you ask for more than they can give?

We heard about what Curt had to say about the Azenis and what Mako said about the Neovas and the Toyos and Stones--

i like the way the break away. not too sudden, never feel greasy like the 615's do when they're hot. back off a bit and they recover quickly when you do go over the line
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Michael Palero wrote:So what are Z1s like when you ask for more than they can give?

They feel like 710s with less grip, very progressive, which can make it hard to feel the line between grip and slide and can make it easy to overdrive the tires, but they don't let go all of a sudden either.
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Toyo's have the advantage of being extra light ... but at the expense of softish sidewalls. I guess that issue would be exasperated on a heavier car.

I LOVED their TS1. Great street tire, amazing in the wet. Very similar to the top rated Goodyear GS-D3 ... same tread design.
I did too, great wet tire. I'd have them on my car for street use, but the 615s are cheaper and good enough to get to the speedway and back.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Kurt, after floundering around with several different Pasadena tire shops I found Island Tire just east of San Gabriel Blvd on Colorado.
Funny...that's where I go to. They're an approved Tire Rack installer and they're right around the corner from our office. Great tip on Jose, though. I usually go in there blind. Hopefully he won't slash my tires when I mention that I know you :D
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm starting to think about my next set of tires, and I think I'm going to go with a 140 treadwear rated set, so I'm both SK2 legal and street legal. Max mentioned that Dunlop has come out with a nice tire for a reasonable price. What are some other options, what are your preferences and why?
Hey Kurt,

What Max said. :D

For your heavy car the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs would work great. As for which tire is faster, It's still a toss up between the Yoko neova and Z1. But the Z1 is the best tire for the money - hands down.

The Star Specs seem to be wearing very well, they handled the heat last week with 3 drivers, and they're supposed to be good in the wet conditions. We also ran the Z1s on a heavy car (3,500 lb) at a BMWCCA event with good success. Another plus is they run wide for their size.

Might want to get some quick as the popular sizes are selling out. :cry: Hunt me down at the Div. if you would like more feedback.

Rick
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks, Rick. My choice a lot easier, cuz the only other tire offered in my size is the Bridgestone...no Neovas available.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna miss the divisional :cry: but the good news is I'll be on a beach in Puerta Vallarta :D. I'll definitely hit you up for a brain dump at Night of the Living Dead!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Hmmm....

Night of the Iguana meets Night of the Living Dead???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Richard Jung wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm starting to think about my next set of tires, and I think I'm going to go with a 140 treadwear rated set, so I'm both SK2 legal and street legal. Max mentioned that Dunlop has come out with a nice tire for a reasonable price. What are some other options, what are your preferences and why?
Hey Kurt,

What Max said. :D

For your heavy car the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs would work great. As for which tire is faster, It's still a toss up between the Yoko neova and Z1. But the Z1 is the best tire for the money - hands down.

The Star Specs seem to be wearing very well, they handled the heat last week with 3 drivers, and they're supposed to be good in the wet conditions. We also ran the Z1s on a heavy car (3,500 lb) at a BMWCCA event with good success. Another plus is they run wide for their size.

Might want to get some quick as the popular sizes are selling out. :cry: Hunt me down at the Div. if you would like more feedback.

Rick
I think we just got the last 3 245/40's in the indiana warehouse.