Fastrack

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Fastrack

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote: SP seat rule: No, it's not. The current rule doesn't require seat tracks and that requirement is BS with the likely source a certain STS Honda driver from the Lone Star state. Screw him. I want to mount my seats in a fixed manner and I don't want to deal with some section of the rule that leaves the interpretation of "seat rails" open to certain in-duh-viduals.

SAC, STAC, SMAC: don't care.

Compression checks in SP? And this will show what? Who's supplying the measurement gauge? How accurate will it be?

As for the other impound changes, both sound very difficult to achieve with either accuracy or within a reasonable time.

I thought it said "may" be replaced, not must. And it does not say they must be adjustable. Most aftermarket seat rails sold by race seat manufacturers are fixed. Not sure I see your point or issue.

Who would be doing checks, I would guess Doug Gill or the car owner under his supervision. They would be using equipment supplied by SCCA Pro Racing, good enough for World Challenge, should be good enough for us. The pro guys have lots of cool tools.

Reasonable time... How fast can you work? I saw teams in impound at the Runoffs pull a motor in less than an hour. Since most of the work on a car is up to the owner, or crew, it is all about how fast you can get it done.

I think it was a football player that said "if you cant handle the congratulations don't score a point," this was right after being pummeled by his own teammates. If you cant handle impound, don't win.
Points taken.
Bob Beamesderfer

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
SP seat rule: No, it's not. The current rule doesn't require seat tracks and that requirement is BS with the likely source a certain STS Honda driver from the Lone Star state. Screw him. I want to mount my seats in a fixed manner and I don't want to deal with some section of the rule that leaves the interpretation of "seat rails" open to certain in-duh-viduals.

Compression checks in SP? And this will show what? Who's supplying the measurement gauge? How accurate will it be?

As for the other impound changes, both sound very difficult to achieve with either accuracy or within a reasonable time.

And finally, what other than our instructor runs is outside of the rule?
To the first part all i gotta say is.. huh?

To the other part, I'll say, "huh?" again, why would it be talking about Cal Club? We don't allow passenger ride alongs at Championships... :ibrightdea:
As Rick points, yes we do, just not during official competition runs. So, you must have meant the Fresno Chapter of SFR?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

What constitutes abuse of the passenger rule?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

This is not reasonable, at least for Subarus. I've had my valve cover off four times trying to fix an oil leak. Each time, it took me 3-4 hours working carefully and taking my time. The only way I got the valve cover gasket to seal decently was to use Hondabond HT (instead of some other Permatex stuff I tried), which I let sit for 24 hours to cure. There is still a tiny bit of oil leaking from somewhere on the gasket, but not enough for me to worry about and spend another few hours trying to fix.
Don't ever start road racing. You'll learn that "taking your time" is not an option and a little valve cover leak is nothing to worry about when you have to make the Sunday race. Important things like diff swaps get done in 30 minutes with the diff you're taking out so hot you need heavy gloves to touch it. Head swaps get done in two hours after the morning practice session or in place of dinner on Saturday night.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:What constitutes abuse of the passenger rule?
Anyone that has to ride with Curt.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:What constitutes abuse of the passenger rule?
Anyone that has to ride with Curt.
Hey!...

...yeah, you got me there.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Really shaking things up in stock.

MSP to GS....Hey Jeff and Nicole: Better late than never eh? Ready to go back to stock? :lol:

It seems like a lot of this reorg could have been avoided if the CooperS were classed in DS in the first place. ;)
What are they doing?!? Don't they know spec-GS is already perfect?
G-Stock!
G-Stock!
mini_bathroom_poster.jpg (147.63 KiB) Viewed 8748 times
Jeff & Nicole: Bring it! it's probably the wong car for GS anyways...
Last edited by Michael Palero on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Marshall and Gio are slackers: http://scca.com/documents/Fastrack/08/0 ... y-solo.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just got the e-mail notifying me of the latest FasTrack. What is SCCA using to send out e-mails?? Pigeons???
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Curt Luther wrote: Paint? It won't be white anymore? Deal's off...

Alright, paint it any color you want. I'll always know it was the first of my racing white chicks that I did.
Naw J/K I'm too lazy for that, but if Shauna doesn't stop hitting cones, it'll be two-tone; the area from the ground to 18" will be orange-brownish. :lol:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Marshall Grice wrote: *edit*Jason beat me to it. although I might still win on smartass-ed-ness. :)
I don't think so. Don't you need to get off the forum and go tease your hair?
ROTFLMAO!!!

Marshall, I believe auditions for 80's bands are being held at the Troubador or Whiskey-a-Go-Go in West Hollywood on Fridays, and The Viper Room on Saturdays :) What's up with that avatar?? :)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Marshall Grice wrote: *edit*Jason beat me to it. although I might still win on smartass-ed-ness. :)
I don't think so. Don't you need to get off the forum and go tease your hair?
ROTFLMAO!!!

Marshall, I believe auditions for 80's bands are being held at the Troubador or Whiskey-a-Go-Go in West Hollywood on Fridays, and The Viper Room on Saturdays :) What's up with that avatar?? :)
what do you mean what's up with it? it freakin ROCKS!

guitar hero 80's edition is much easier when you actually get into character.
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

John Coffey wrote:
This is not reasonable, at least for Subarus. I've had my valve cover off four times trying to fix an oil leak. Each time, it took me 3-4 hours working carefully and taking my time. The only way I got the valve cover gasket to seal decently was to use Hondabond HT (instead of some other Permatex stuff I tried), which I let sit for 24 hours to cure. There is still a tiny bit of oil leaking from somewhere on the gasket, but not enough for me to worry about and spend another few hours trying to fix.
Don't ever start road racing. You'll learn that "taking your time" is not an option and a little valve cover leak is nothing to worry about when you have to make the Sunday race. Important things like diff swaps get done in 30 minutes with the diff you're taking out so hot you need heavy gloves to touch it. Head swaps get done in two hours after the morning practice session or in place of dinner on Saturday night.

So your point is that you really shouldn't get started in this amateur sport unless you're prepared to fully disassemble and reassemble every piece of your car as fast or faster than a master mechanic? Come on. How many people in ST have ever taken their valve covers off? Those who haven't done it before certainly won't be able to do it quickly. What if they start suggesting this kind of engine impound check on stock cars? Don't race in stock class unless you can disassemble your engine?
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Don't race in stock class unless you can disassemble your engine?
I'm with Greg on this one. Not that I'll ever get to the point where I'm winning at a national level, but just because I like to drive doesn't mean I have any clue what's going on in my drivetrain or can afford to bring someone who's mechanically inclined halfway across the country to nationals. I know we have a good number of engineers (and those who just play one on TV), but I'm certainly not one of those. I can see being more anal retentive with some of the more built-up classes, but not stock. Either that, or they should have a mechanic on call who can get to whatever they want to see. My understanding is they want to draw new blood into the sport, not drive it away.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Marshall Grice wrote:
ROTFLMAO!!!

White Snake or Poison? :lol:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Marshall Grice wrote:
ROTFLMAO!!!

White Snake or Poison? :lol:
Or Def Leppard or Lynnard Skynnard
Jason Isley BS RX8

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Don't race in stock class unless you can disassemble your engine?
I'm with Greg on this one. Not that I'll ever get to the point where I'm winning at a national level, but just because I like to drive doesn't mean I have any clue what's going on in my drivetrain or can afford to bring someone who's mechanically inclined halfway across the country to nationals. I know we have a good number of engineers (and those who just play one on TV), but I'm certainly not one of those. I can see being more anal retentive with some of the more built-up classes, but not stock. Either that, or they should have a mechanic on call who can get to whatever they want to see. My understanding is they want to draw new blood into the sport, not drive it away.
This is the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, not your local event in Fontana. I do not think a $10 gasket and an hour of work is to much with that on the line. If you are not capable of doing the work yourself, or if you have no friends (Gio) to help you, you can always hire a mechanic from one of the local dealers. If you are in the #1 spot the contingency money will more than cover the cost.
Last edited by Jason Isley BS RX8 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:if you have no friends (Gio) to help you
HEY!!!!!!!! What'd I do?? :)
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:you can always higher a mechanic
"HIRE"....use a thesaurus or are the standards at SportsCar magazine deteriorating? :mrgreen:
Bob Beamesderfer

Bob Beamesderfer wrote: SP seat rule: No, it's not. The current rule doesn't require seat tracks and that requirement is BS with the likely source a certain STS Honda driver from the Lone Star state. Screw him. I want to mount my seats in a fixed manner and I don't want to deal with some section of the rule that leaves the interpretation of "seat rails" open to certain in-duh-viduals.

I thought it said "may" be replaced, not must. And it does not say they must be adjustable. Most aftermarket seat rails sold by race seat manufacturers are fixed. Not sure I see your point or issue.
Just to make something clear, a "rail" is something that an object moves on, as opposed to the "brackets" that come with aftermarket seats.

Webster's: 3 a: a bar of rolled steel forming a track for wheeled vehicles

Not an exact definition of seat rails, but the closest in context. The rest of the rule is an improvement.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote: "HIRE"....use a thesaurus or are the standards at SportsCar magazine deteriorating? :mrgreen:
This is why you have no friends. :lol: The standards are low, I work here after all.
Last edited by Jason Isley BS RX8 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Just to make something clear, a "rail" is something that an object moves on, as opposed to the "brackets" that come with aftermarket seats.

Not an exact definition of seat rails, but the closest in context. The rest of the rule is an improvement.
People wonder why the rule book is so big. We have to define every possible combination so everyone gets it. I think we should leave the rule alone, less work. ;)
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

So your point is that you really shouldn't get started in this amateur sport unless you're prepared to fully disassemble and reassemble every piece of your car as fast or faster than a master mechanic? Come on. How many people in ST have ever taken their valve covers off? Those who haven't done it before certainly won't be able to do it quickly. What if they start suggesting this kind of engine impound check on stock cars? Don't race in stock class unless you can disassemble your engine?
No, my point isn't made to someone who is getting started in the sport. I made my point for someone who intends to compete for a national championship in Solo2, Club Racing, or any other motor sport that has a national championship. Tech or protest tear downs are part of the sport. Component failures are common and must be factored into any weekend event. Being prepared to correct breakdowns quickly is critical to success in any motor sports. Ask Bill Schenker.

BTW... How did Audi win LeMans this year? In the pits.
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

I'm prepared to fix what I can in case of a failure, but there are some critical and complicated repairs that I leave to an experienced mechanic. But MY issue is not with component failures. It is if impound (not from a protest) requires competitors to suddenly have the knowledge to work with parts that I believe most ST competitors never touch.
Bob Beamesderfer

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:

People wonder why the rule book is so big. We have to define every possible combination so everyone gets it. I think we should leave the rule alone, less work. ;)
Yeah, I know. It's not like the semantics of the rules aren't argued in this and every other sport. :ugeek: And ad nauseum :barf:
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Greg Peng wrote:It is if impound (not from a protest) requires competitors to suddenly have the knowledge to work with parts that I believe most ST competitors never touch.
Well its not sudden, it's been done in the past and was just phased out, plus there's warning right now in front of us. Additionally, I'd be willing to bet 'parts that most ST competitors never touch' applied to the National's attendees becomes a much smaller list (that doesn't include valve covers).

Jay W
Annie Bauer
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 385

Post by Annie Bauer »

Jason, any insight on the reasoning behind the ITR going to BS and Cobalt to GS? Based on Kevin Dietz and FastMike's performance in Kevin's bone stock Cobalt on 2 yr old dead tires, I'm thinking if anything those should be switched!