Official SCCA Annual Inspection Station...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

John Edwards
Club: CASOC
Car#: 1

Official SCCA Annual Inspection Station...

Post by John Edwards »

Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine is now the 10th SCCA Annual Inspection Station. The process was made official by Alan Coy, long time Club racer and advocate, on September 16, 2009 when he came to inspect the shop.

For those of you who are not familiar with the process, and California Regions are the only ones in the Nation doing this, you can get your car inspected once for the entire year. An official sticker will be issued to place in your GCR. All you have to do is show it to the tech crew and you can go about getting your car ready to run in a more timely fashion. The cost is $25 for Solo and track cars that have been run before. For those brand new race cars that have never been on the track, the cost is $50 because of the additional time spent on the inspection process. New Solo cars are not subject to the higher fees, unless a roll bar number must be assigned.

I'm in the process of getting all the stickers, etc that are needed, so don't come banging on the gate and expect to get teched and have your sticker pasted in you GCR for a few more days.

If you have any questions that I can answer, or if you would like to schedule an appointment, give me a call here at the shop: (949) 631-6376.

Also, I want to thank Gayle Jardine for suggesting my shop for consideration to SCCA.

John...

john@engine-machining.com
John Edwards (903)
Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine
(949) 631-6376
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: Official SCCA Annual Inspection Station...

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

John Edwards wrote:Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine is now the 10th SCCA Annual Inspection Station. The process was made official by Alan Coy, long time Club racer and advocate, on September 16, 2009 when he came to inspect the shop.

For those of you who are not familiar with the process, and California Regions are the only ones in the Nation doing this, you can get your car inspected once for the entire year. An official sticker will be issued to place in your GCR. All you have to do is show it to the tech crew and you can go about getting your car ready to run in a more timely fashion. The cost is $25 for Solo and track cars that have been run before. For those brand new race cars that have never been on the track, the cost is $50 because of the additional time spent on the inspection process. New Solo cars are not subject to the higher fees, unless a roll bar number must be assigned.

I'm in the process of getting all the stickers, etc that are needed, so don't come banging on the gate and expect to get teched and have your sticker pasted in you GCR for a few more days.

If you have any questions that I can answer, or if you would like to schedule an appointment, give me a call here at the shop: (949) 631-6376.

Also, I want to thank Gayle Jardine for suggesting my shop for consideration to SCCA.

John...

john@engine-machining.com
I think your post may confuse some people. Cal Club is the only Solo Region I know of doing an annual tech, but any Region with a properly licensed scurtineer can offer annual Club Racing inspection and issue a log book for Club Racing cars. The Solo inspection and Club Racing inspection programs are nothing alike, and have nothing to do with one another, nor do I expect either is accepted by the other group.
Solo cars do not get a log book, and do not have cage numbers stamped.

5.9.2. Inspecting Automobiles
A. Annual Inspection
A full and complete Technical and Safety Inspection shall be performed
by a Licensed Scrutineer (Divisional/National) on each car once a year
(12 months). If the car passes Annual Technical Inspection, the tech
inspector shall enter the date of the safety harness expiration in the
logbook, the logbook shall be stamped with the “official” inspection
stamp, dated, and signed.
Driver’s safety equipment is not required to be inspected at the time of
annual inspection of the car.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

We have been doing Solo Annual Tech for a few years. Eric Clements currently does it at events if you make arrangements with him in advance. We created and printed our own stickers which must be put into a current Solo Rules book.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Cool ... thanks ...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sounds like people are talking over each other here......
Need to get this one figured out. :?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Sounds like people are talking over each other here......
Need to get this one figured out. :?
Pretty easy. If you want an annual tech for our autocross (solo), you must see either Eric Clements or Max Hayter. They will decide if you are eligible for annual tech and issue the appropriate stickers. (Keep in mind that this is only good for CSCC events - other regions will likely require you go through their own tech procedures.)

It sounds like John is set up for non-autocross (solo) tech.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

KJ Christopher wrote: It sounds like John is set up for non-autocross (solo) tech.
Not sure what that would be. Within SCCA Solo=Autocross. {We no longer have Solo (time trials) and Solo2 (Autocross)}

I seam to recall for a fee at the SD tour you could get a "Annual Tech" from SCCA instead of buying the rulebook, and it was good for the year at National Tours/ Pro's, and Lincoln.

Maybe John, Jason, or Glenn could spread more light on what National intends this iteration of Annual tech for Solo to be, as often new ideas are rolled into place before announcing their existence.
Jason Flores
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

Craig Naylor wrote: I seam to recall for a fee at the SD tour you could get a "Annual Tech" from SCCA instead of buying the rulebook, and it was good for the year at National Tours/ Pro's, and Lincoln.
..additional question..where do we put our annual sticker if we go this waiver in place of the rule book?

JF
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

There are two annual tech programs in this discussion.

The first that John Edwards mentioned being a part of is SCCA's road racing annual vehicle technical inspection. Cal Club has started a program working with, certifying, and promoting a select number of race prep shops that will perform annual tech inspections and new race car tech inspections/stamping for the wheel-to-wheel folks. Alan and Penelope Coy have taken the lead in an effort to reach out to the race shops and get them more involved in Club Racing and to improve the quality and consistency of the inspections being done. This program has just started and is growing, changing based on what's being learned.

The second is the Cal Club Solo2 program of annual vehicle safety inspections.

Neither of these programs are related, although they probalby should be. A shop that can do an annual per the GCR can easily do an annual per the Solo2 rule book.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jason Flores wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote: I seam to recall for a fee at the SD tour you could get a "Annual Tech" from SCCA instead of buying the rulebook, and it was good for the year at National Tours/ Pro's, and Lincoln.
..additional question..where do we put our annual sticker if we go this waiver in place of the rule book?

JF

Its an annual waiver not an annual tech the national office is using and exempts you from the rulebook. Our region should okay placing the annual tech sticker on the back of the annual waiver card. What say you "our region". Somebody going to the meeting tonight please bring it up. :)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

The tech for "solo" cars would be for running TT or HPDE since they are tied in with Papa CalClub.

Solo tech is still separate. I haven't heard anything else.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Jason Flores wrote:

JF

Its an annual waiver not an annual tech the national office is using and exempts you from the rulebook. Our region should okay placing the annual tech sticker on the back of the annual waiver card. What say you "our region". Somebody going to the meeting tonight please bring it up. :)
Also, there is an annual tech for ProSolo - sticker on the car, good for the year, but not good for the Finale. I have one of those waiver cards - I'd love it if our annual tech sticker could be downsized to fit on the back!
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

And the tip for those ProSolo season stickers is to top it with clear HD packing tape. It won't last the year if it gets wet. :(
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

OK, let's see here; excluding SCCA Club Racing, and including SCCA Solo, we have:

Regional annual tech inspection, not necessarily worth anything outside your region
Annual Pro Solo inspection, not good at the Finale
Hard cards that exempt the owner from buying a bound volume of the annual National Solo Rule Book

I think I've got that all right, but perhaps more important is how SCCA can make this more confusing and complicated.
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

You forgot the helmet inspection/stickers.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

How do you get the "annual waiver card"/"Hard card" and do they cost something?
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:How do you get the "annual waiver card"/"Hard card" and do they cost something?
You pay 20 bucks at a Tour or Pro.. though mine I got at SD Tour never showed up. The scca website probably has a way to order one too.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:How do you get the "annual waiver card"/"Hard card" and do they cost something?
You pay 20 bucks at a Tour or Pro.. though mine I got at SD Tour never showed up. The scca website probably has a way to order one too.
Did you ever go online and upload a photo for the card?
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Form ... oloapp.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is not good for local events. If you want a CalClub Solo annual tech sticker, you need to talk to Eric Clements.
Warren Leach

Post by Warren Leach »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Jason Flores wrote:

JF

This is actually mixing up two different things. There is the 'Annual Waiver', also known as a 'Hard Card'. Purchasing one means you don't have to sign the SCCA waiver form at the gate, nor wear a wrist band if the hard card is in plain sight. The form must be noterized or witnessed by a SCCA Registrar. Your local registrars are Gail, Marco V, or myself. It has limited appeal in CalClub because it does not cover venue waivers like the Raceway waiver. It is optional for Regions to accept hard cards, but the MUST be accepted at Tours and other SCCA run events. The plan is to eventually make hard cards SCCA membership cards. It is a color bar coded plastic card.

The other item is a 'Solo Drivers License'. It also costs money and it allows you to enter Tours and Nationals without a rule book. It is a status that is printed on your card along with (for instance) 'crew' and 'Solo Safety Steward'.

It would not be practical to put the annual tech sticker on the back of the hard card, because the back has all the membership info on it ... 'crew', 'Solo Safety Steward', 'Solo Driver', and it would not be visible.

nalbar
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

I've always wondered why Solo doesn't issue log books as an option for those that have a dedicated autocross car.