Question on age of Hoosier Tires

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kathy Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 96

Question on age of Hoosier Tires

Post by Kathy Teulie »

I found a stamp on the inside of the tire and it said 3307 and 4707. From the posts below I learned that this stamp is the date and it means the 33rd week of 07. Should I return them to Tire Rack? A year old seems too old to me. Will they take them back for this reason?

Thanks,

Kathy
Last edited by Kathy Teulie on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Uyeda

Re: Question on age of Hoosier Tires

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Usually there's only 4 numbers. build week + year. I've never seen a Hoosier with 6 numbers. Hoosier manufactures each size in batches and doesn't make another run until stock runs low (or when it runs out and the feel like it :) ), so if it's a tire that was made in the 30th week of '07, it may be the newest available in that size.

If you ordered from Tire Rack, they may know if it's the most recent run. I always order from Hoosier Tom when I can, he can find out when batches were made... and because he doesn't carry a lot of stock, his tires are usually the freshest just because the get drop shipped straight from Hoosier.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Kathy, you'll find the date stamp just above the tire bead. As Jason said, it is four numbers and unlike the other information on the tire, is only stamped on one side.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will give an overview of how to find and read the date codes. Three digit for the 90's (313 would be 31st week of 1993) and four digits for the 00's (3307 would be 33rd week of 2007). The overall news report is interesting, but as usual, does have several holes.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kathy Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

I found a stamp on the inside of the tire and it said 3307 and 4707. From the posts above I learned that this stamp is the date and it means the 33rd week of 07. Should I return them to Tire Rack? A year old seems too old to me. Will they take them back for this reason?

Thanks,

Kathy
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Kathy Teulie wrote:I found a stamp on the inside of the tire and it said 3307 and 4707. From the posts above I learned that this stamp is the date and it means the 33rd week of 07. Should I return them to Tire Rack? A year old seems too old to me. Will they take them back for this reason?

Thanks,

Kathy
A year is well within the shelf life of any tire. I doubt they would consider taking anything back that was less than three years old. I have ran, and won, at natls on tires that were older than my car. A few years, if stored correctly, is nothing.

Like the other Jason said, tires are made in batches, it is very likely that is a current run. I recently got a new set of V710s, the build dates were within a few weeks, but one year older than my previous set. It is likely that if a size is not in high demand (like anything in a 16" :barf: ) they may only be built once a year.