Help! Miata Brake Problem ...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Help! Miata Brake Problem ...

Post by Mako Koiwai »

We've been changing out the brakes and brake lines on Karen's Miata ... new rotors, stainless steel lines, rebuilt calipers and new pads. We've run into a road block. How is one suppose to get those brake pad Springs installed in the front calipers ?!?! Per the shop manual ... pads, then springs. Whatever ... we can't figure out how to get those springs in. :oops: :?

Trying to get ready for the SD BMW event THIS weekend ... :(
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Re: Help! Miata Brake Problem ...

Post by Steve Collins »

From the sequence of pictures in Haynes manual, it looks like you put the pads in place, fit the springs into little holes in the edge of the pad backing plate and then swing the caliper down into place. No idea if that applies to Karen's car.

SC
Thomas Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Mako Koiwai wrote:We've been changing out the brakes and brake lines on Karen's Miata ... new rotors, stainless steel lines, rebuilt calipers and new pads. We've run into a road block. How is one suppose to get those brake pad Springs installed in the front calipers ?!?! Per the shop manual ... pads, then springs. Whatever ... we can't figure out how to get those springs in. :oops: :?

Trying to get ready for the SD BMW event THIS weekend ... :(
Yup. Pads in first, hold them against the rotor with one hand and install the two springs with the other, swing the caliper down and you are done. Its not hard after you've done it a couple times.

BTW, if by stainless steel lines you mean braided stainless brake hoses, they aren't legal in stock class on post 91? cars. Silly cutoff but thats the rule.
Thomas Smith
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ah ... Duh ...

Since we were changing out the entire caliper/brake assembly, we were trying to "build" the new pads into the caliper and then reattaching the entire caliper ... instead of just unbolting that bottom bolt and swinging the caliper part up! That's what happens at midnight after working all day on the car ...

Braided brake lines ... I asked a number of people and vendors before buying those stainless steel lines. Arg. I guess we might as well at least put in new oem rubber lines, since the car has over 90K on it. Thanks Tom! I'm worried that next someone is going to tell me that we shouldn't have installed forged high compression pistons! :ibrightdea:
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Mako Koiwai wrote:...Thanks Tom! I'm worried that next someone is going to tell me that we shouldn't have installed forged high compression pistons! :ibrightdea:
i know your manufacturing all these small issues to keep people from noticing the new turbo :mrgreen:
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Dude! Team Blew mate ... shhhhhhh

Amazing how when you know what you're doing it only takes seconds ... after we wasted so much time last night. Shows ... not worth it to continue after a certain point of fatigue. The high temp brake grease was also right in front of me this morning ... when I couldn't for the life of me find it last night! :x
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

You are putting way to much time and work in to the least used part of a Miata.
Colin Langeveld

Post by Colin Langeveld »

Hi Mako,
Mind telling me what pads/rotors ya went with? I'm currently piecing my 99' miata together, although I won't be in CS (damn seat is too high! :evil: ) I'm gonne be doing the brakes soon. On miata.net members were stating that NAPA rotors work fine for track events. I dunno. Just looking what you guys did for some info. Hope all goes well, thanks and take care!