General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

SD Sound and Steel Wool

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I'm worried that the Civic won't make SD sound even with all of the supertrapp disks installed. I've heard of using steel wool to further muffle, but how?

Is it as simple as just sticking some in the end of the pipe? Should I use the fine or coarse stuff?
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Re: SD Sound and Steel Wool

Post by Don Salyers »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I'm worried that the Civic won't make SD sound even with all of the supertrapp disks installed. I've heard of using steel wool to further muffle, but how?

Is it as simple as just sticking some in the end of the pipe? Should I use the fine or coarse stuff?
Seb, I thought you took them out to lower the db level. I have a new supertrapp and I think that somewhere around 5 or 6 discs, by my radio shack meter, gets me to 90 db. If I put 12 in, I am over 93 db. But, the way things have been going for me, I may never find out unless they put the sound meter right after the first turn.... :oops:

Don
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Henry just drilled a few holes in the tail pipe so he could crisscross some wire to hold in FINE steel wool. Don't know if that did the trick. He has different muffler canisters for SD.
Rob Schneider
Car#: 4

Post by Rob Schneider »

There's nothing new under the sun. I did that kind of stuff years ago when I was a kid and didn't have any money. The steel wool will increase exhaust back-pressure greatly. And even with good support, the pressure will blow the steel wool out. The Supertrap disks may hold the steel wool in place and it will quiet the exhaust, but I think you will have pretty high exhaust back-pressure.

Bob
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Hmmm I guess I don't know how the supertrapp works. I ran it yesterday in SD, but I don't think the BMW club had a DB meter set up. It definitely seemed quieter though.

I realize pretty much any attempt to make it quieter will likely result in a loss of power, but being down a few HP is better tha a DSQ.
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

With the Supertrapp, you take disks out to cut noise/flow.
Jason Rhoades
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Rhoades »

Ken's car consistently passed sound ok in SD with 8 disks. Your car may be a bit louder with the thin-wall header, consider running only 6 or 7.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

We ran 6 and were fine. Never even got a warning :(
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Morgan Trotter
Car#: 61

Post by Morgan Trotter »

find a radiator hose that will fit over the tail pipe with minimal cutting. zip tie it there, drag around a foot of the stuff and you will lower the noise level greatly.