Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

S2K CR - RIP :(

Post by Pete Loney »

Well, my car never made it home.
I somehow came away un-scathed.
The drivers window somehow stayed in tact. The windshield was barely cracked too.
This cars safety design saved my life I feel. Even with the top off!
Some tension between my shoulder blades is starting. Going to watch my left arm for a bit too.
The people that were directly behind me in the merge lane got a helluva show. They thought for sure I was going to be hurt.

In short, caught air(saw blue sky at one point), spun around(left rear wheel caught on barrier) and wedged between
the rail and a fence after hearing a loud screach coming from behind and then a BOOMING impact to my drivers side.
My tire tail broke off and my strapped set of 4 tires flew about 80 feet or so.
Found my tire gauge about 30 feet away, Sun glasses I was wearing broke a lens, My cooler ended up spilling it's water onto my wallet.
The board I was setting my jack on flew about 10 feet away. Was originally in my passenger seat.

Was hit by a newish BMW 750I driving way out of control at the intersection of the 57 and the 91 merge.
He then continued on and hit three more cars and ended up about 300 feet farther down than me.
Pictures of the offending Bimmer are in the album.
I was in the merge lane minding my own business, not even attempting to merge yet because I now this intersection can be a bit nuts with traffic.

MAN I am going to miss this car.
Let's see what the insurance process will end up.

Album --> http://picasaweb.google.com/moriuntensh ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Pete Loney on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: S2K CR - RIP :(

Post by Max Hayter »

Holy crap, Pete. So glad you are ok. Thank goodness that driver's door held up under the impact - amazing.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Henry Bjoin
Club: GRA
Car#: 91

Post by Henry Bjoin »

Wow Pete that must have been one wild ride. I'm glad to hear that your OK.
It's sad about the car but it's replaceable.

Henry
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Glad you OK Pete. You'll probably be feeling it tomorrow. You weren't kidding about the car being totaled. And yes, the fact that you walked away from that unscathed is amazing.

So what's the story on the jerk that hit you and the others? Drunk? high? or just an idiot?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Brian Peters

Post by Brian Peters »

What Max said! Wow...very happy to hear you weren't seriously injured.
Kathy Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 96

Post by Kathy Teulie »

Pete,

I am so glad that you are ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That must have been terrifying.

Looking at the pictures I am amazed you walked away ok. I am shook up just looking at the pictures. You must have been extremely shook up.

It is very sad to see a fellow S2000 car in such bad shape but the important thing is that you are ok.

Please go see a doctor to make sure you are ok!

Kathy
Last edited by Kathy Teulie on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pete Loney

Post by Pete Loney »

George Schilling wrote:Glad you OK Pete. You'll probably be feeling it tomorrow. You weren't kidding about the car being totaled. And yes, the fact that you walked away from that unscathed is amazing.

So what's the story on the jerk that hit you and the others? Drunk? high? or just an idiot?
I never walked down that far to find out.. Was too shaken and concerned about the tow truck guys doing the recovery.
Plus, I may have gone postal on him too, now that I think about it :twisted:
Cops I talked to never said anything either. Will have to wait for the poilce report I guess.
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

You are so lucky to walk away from that!
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Wow! Glad you're OK. Sorry for the car, but those can be replaced. I can't imagine getting hit by a 4,000 lb. car was much fun.
Last edited by Bob Beamesderfer on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

I'm glad you're ok! Get yourself checked out ASAP! You don't want any weird aches coming to haunt you in the coming weeks.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Glad you're OK Pete - definitely get checked out even if you did walk away unscathed.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Joey Schilling

Post by Joey Schilling »

Wow Pete! It is a miracle that you are ok buddy! What a bummer. I hope you come out with a big fat check and a brand new car.

If you want I got a number to a hit man to take that guy out!!!

Damn that sucks!
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Pete omg! Glad you are OK! It's impressive that a convertible took that impact and you made it out OK. I bet that idiot was drunk or texting :evil:
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

ARG ... and Crazy. That must have been very violent!

Glad you're more or less OK.

There's more in that car then just parts. That said, my insurance company, AAA, had no trouble paying me for my performance parts when my WRX got rear ended.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be anyway to get compensated for all of YOUR work that you've put into your lovely car ... our SCNAX Cup winner! :unimpressed:

Hang in there ... hope everything else associated with the accident goes smoothly. :thumbup:
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Good to hear that you're alright after what sounds like a bad hit. I hate the 57 to 91 transition in traffic and have only taken it once - I avoid that route.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

OMG ... after looking at the album photos it's hard to believe you didn't get your neck snapped from the sideways impact! You're going to be VERY sore. Ripped the right rear wheel/suspension right off!!! Takes a LOT of force to also slice open that steel belted tire.

What was it like getting smacked by the air bag?

Was there a side impact bag?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Holy crap!

Just glad you're okay. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow.

Little Robert wants to know if you're "really really alive".
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Holy cow. Reading this from a hotel room in Orlando. Certain not what I expected to see when I logged on. Glad you are okay. Get yourself to a doctor. Palero is right
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Pete,

The car did it's job, thank you to what engineers do to keep us safe. You are now going threw the "honey moon" before it starts to hurt.

Go to the doctor, tomorrow. Having had my bell rung, I should have done this as soon as I got home from Lone Pine. Hind site.

I did start eating lots of advil to take the edge off, but that was me.

Again, replay happens without request.

David Barrish
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Bummer, I've always liked that car. :( Glad you're okay, dude. Probably the first thing I would do in that situation is march down there and smack the stupid outta the guy. Not my best quality. However, you may consider suing the stupid outta him. That could help in financing a new car :D
And yes, see a doctor SOON! Again, glad you're more or less alright. That's what's most important.
Mark D.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Thank god you're o.k., Pete! Please, please heed the advice of others here and go see a good doctor! Please.

-Signed, the son, grandson and cousin of M.D.s
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Holy schneikes! Glad to hear you're alright. I think you were smart not to check on the mofo that hit you. I know I probably would've killed him/her with all the adrenaline flowing.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Pete,
I am so glad to hear that you are OK! Your "guardian angel" was working overtime! It is such a shock to see the pictures. It is amazing that you walked away! Thank goodness that the car did not roll! And thank you, Honda, for the structural strength in that car! That had to be one horrific impact. Having been though something very similar - and I thought that I was OK and really wasn't - I do hope that you will go get checked out by a doctor just to make sure you are really OK. I hope that you don't hurt too much tomorrow or the next day (or any day).
And, while keeping the perspective that the most important thing is that you are OK, I am sorry for the loss of your good car. Besides that CRs are rare, I know that you worked hard on it and that you really enjoyed driving it. May your next one be even better.
I hope that your insurance company treats you well and makes things "right" as quickly as possible - so that you can be autocrossing with us at the next event!
Again, I am sorry that you were in an accident, but very glad to hear that you are OK.
Best regards,
Lisa
Pete Loney

Post by Pete Loney »

Mako Koiwai wrote:OMG ... after looking at the album photos it's hard to believe you didn't get your neck snapped from the sideways impact! You're going to be VERY sore. Ripped the right rear wheel/suspension right off!!! Takes a LOT of force to also slice open that steel belted tire.

What was it like getting smacked by the air bag?

Was there a side impact bag?
My upper lip felt it a bit, like somone wacked you with a ruler, not too bad. Nothing on the wrists at all. I have heard of others talking about abrasions on their wrists with air bags.

No side impact bags in this car. The inner door card moved inward about 1.5 inches near the window up/down buttons, you can see that in the pictures.

The passenger door worked still as well as the trunk. Never tried the hood.
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Good god! Just looked at the album. Look at the amount of intrusion into the passenger compartment on the BMW! :o How fast was he going!?! I'm not usually a litigious person, but definitely, sue the crap outta him just for being an idiot. :x
Mark D.