If you race you need AAA Premium Membership!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

If you race you need AAA Premium Membership!

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Ramin spun a bearing yesterday and required a flat bed tow to Timmons Subaru. I "gave" him a free flatbedding using my AAA Premium Membership, saving him $100. Everyone that races should have it!!! Premium membership gives one a free 200 mile and a couple of 100 mile flat bedding's. I believe the Plus membership is good for one 100 mile flatbedding.

JUST DO IT! ... you aren't always going to find a nice guy to mooch off of.

(We were surprised that Karen and I still had free tows left. We THOUGHT we had a single membership ... and she's used their tow service three times this year, but it turned out we each had three flatbeddings available.)
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: If you race you need AAA Premium Membership!

Post by Max Hayter »

I have it. Never used in five years until my gearbox exploded on the 5 freeway last month.

AAA were there within 20 minutes of me calling. I was very impressed.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Michael Smith
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

Thanks for the reminder. I need to upgrade my Plus for next year.

Also, make sure to get the AAA Roadside iPhone app. It uses the gps to let them know where you are. Supposedly you don't have to call in.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aaa-road ... 90679?mt=8
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

I recently called them up to ask about that, I used to be a member a few years ago & dropped it when they wanted to force a (young) family member to buy her own when she turned 21 instead of stay on my family membership which I had for like 20 years & rarely used.

Anyway if I understood correctly, the long distance towing has been more restricted for people who are just joining now, I don't recall the details, but it didn't seem like as good a deal as it used to be when I was a member.

It may be they grandfather continuing members.

I ended up getting tow thru my car insurance company for $12 per year per car. It's a $100 limit per tow, unlimited use. I know some tows will exceed $100, but then again it's almost free. If you need a tow from Willow Springs, Button, Spring Mtn whatever it'll exceed AAA also.

:)
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Bob Plante wrote: Anyway if I understood correctly, the long distance towing has been more restricted for people who are just joining now, I don't recall the details, but it didn't seem like as good a deal as it used to be when I was a member.
I just signed up. You only get 7 mile tows with the "Classic" membership, which is all you can get as a newcomer. After a year on the classic membership, you can upgrade to the premium membership, as long as you have no tows for the year.
Daniel Y.
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 125

Post by Daniel Y. »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Bob Plante wrote: Anyway if I understood correctly, the long distance towing has been more restricted for people who are just joining now, I don't recall the details, but it didn't seem like as good a deal as it used to be when I was a member.
I just signed up. You only get 7 mile tows with the "Classic" membership, which is all you can get as a newcomer. After a year on the classic membership, you can upgrade to the premium membership, as long as you have no tows for the year.
Weird. You used to be able to sign up for "Plus" right off the bat (that's what I did a 2 years ago). I guess too many people were taking advantage of the long distance towing. Don't forget to take advantage of their DMV and notary services too!
Jack Tsou
Car#: 8

Post by Jack Tsou »

Upgraded mine to Plus late last year...

This is from AAA's website...

Classic — Receive four calls per membership year, up to seven driving miles each - $48

AAA Plus® — Receive four calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each - $78

AAA Premier® — Receive four calls per membership year, one 200-mile tow per cardholder per membership year, and the remaining calls up to 100 driving miles per membership year - $104

I think AAA Plus is plenty... (for me)
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Jack Tsou wrote: I think AAA Plus is plenty... (for me)
Yeah... I wish it was only 100 miles to any of our venues (or Buttonwillow/Willow Springs)
Jack Tsou
Car#: 8

Post by Jack Tsou »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Jack Tsou wrote: I think AAA Plus is plenty... (for me)
Yeah... I wish it was only 100 miles to any of our venues (or Buttonwillow/Willow Springs)

oh ya.. true :D
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We have premier RV coverage... Try paying for a tow of my 38ft Fifth Wheel and 1-ton Megacab from central Nevada in the snow... Didn't happen, I just don't want to know what it would cost.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Try paying for a tow of my 38ft Fifth Wheel and 1-ton Megacab from central Nevada in the snow... Didn't happen, I just don't want to know what it would cost.
That's how people come to live in central Nevada.

Used my tow few months back for the MX5. I joined under my grandfather's account when I turned 16 as a result my account actually says I've been a member longer than I've been alive.

Jay W
Michael Smith
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

Wow!
30 year member here.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:I joined under my grandfather's account when I turned 16 as a result my account actually says I've been a member longer than I've been alive.

Jay W
Seems like I joined as an individual just a couple of years ago. My card says I've been a member for 35. Hmmm how time flies. :)

I've certainly gotten my money's worth in the last few years alone. Last year I used all of my tows and a couple of Joey's. :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: I joined under my grandfather's account when I turned 16 as a result my account actually says I've been a member longer than I've been alive.
Jay W
It's funny how it works.... we are 45 yr members, and neither of us are that old.

When my wife and I got married, we were each on our parents memberships. If she joined me it would be a new membership, and not only would we have to start as a year one member, but I could not keep all the years I had been on my parents account. If I joined her, it would be a new membership, but not only would we keep her years of membership, but would actually keep all of the years her parents had an account too.

Same thing happened when my sister got married, she could keep all of our parents years, or they started fresh loosing his actual years on his parents account.

Very sexist policy in my opinion.
Ramin Beizaie
Car#: 301

Post by Ramin Beizaie »

Mako, actually you and Karen saved me over 500 bucks! I hope I can return the good deed sometime.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Ramin Beizaie wrote:Mako, actually you and Karen saved me over 500 bucks! I hope I can return the good deed sometime.
Ramin - what year/model was your Subaru?

Edit : I'll guess 08 STi from the picture.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote: I joined under my grandfather's account when I turned 16 as a result my account actually says I've been a member longer than I've been alive.
Jay W
It's funny how it works.... we are 45 yr members, and neither of us are that old.
My grandfather got reset at some point too. I think I'd be up around 60years if that didn't happen. :-)

39 right now, but the renewal is on my desk.

Jay W
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

After last Monday, AAA can be killed with fire and/or AIDS as far as I'm concerned. Apparently, "emergency" service can mean "In a week. Maybe Thursday"...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Ramin Beizaie
Car#: 301

Post by Ramin Beizaie »

I've learned something. Last week, after my little incident, I called and upgraded my AAA membership from Classic to Premier. It cost like $35 for me and the wife (our renewal is in May). But here is what I learned. New members can only get the Classic. In order to qualify for an upgrade to Plus or to Premier, you have to have been a member contiuously for the past 365 days, AND, you must not have used a single tow during that time period. THEN, the membership upgrade doesn't kick in until 7 days later. It would seem these rules are intended to keep people like me from upgrading - the people who are pretty damn sure they have a couple of long tows coming up in the near-term.

There are also a bunch of other benefits with Premier. The big one is you get one day free car rental whenever you use a tow. This could prove useful.

Forgot to mention - per year, you get 1 200-mile tow and 3 100-mile tows with the Premier. With Plus, you get 4 100-mile tows. Classic of course is 4 7-mile tows. The cost difference between Plus and Premier is minimal, maybe even almost nothing if you have your spouse on there as a family member.