General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 72

Re: I guess this is goodbye...

Post by Tom Berry »

Sorry to hear about your challenge Ramin.
How much warranty do you have left on the car anyway?
and did you try going to the next level up on the Subaru chain? Perhaps you would have more
luck at regional level. I have a friend who is a Subaru machanic who might be able to guide you
around this mess if you would like my help. ( Note: he does side work also. )
And as mentioned.... I can help with a used engine if you have any intrest in going that direction.
Tom
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Jeff Shyu wrote:
George Schilling wrote:I'd be curious to know how the warranty is worded regarding "race" related exclusions. An argument can easily be made that with rolling starts, speeds averaging only 30-35 mph, and that autox entails driving around cones in parking lots, that autox hardly qualifies as "racing". I think a reasonable judge just might agree. I'm not sure, but I think a small claims action can be up to $7,500 and probably costs less that $100 to file and have them served. Might be worth a try especially if the wording in the warranty doesn't support the denial or if you can find prior court cases to support you claim. No matter what you decide to do, I roll the dice in small claims court.
i think "race" comes in whenever there's timing involved. it's not just an auto-x thing, i think they deny warranty based upon the "race" condition for drag racing (street legal drags, do they still have those?), auto-x, and time trials.

i think that's one of the reasons why most car clubs don't run timing equipment at track days.. it's not considered racing if it's not timed..
It really doesn't matter what they consider racing Jeff, especially in small claims court where the rules of law are applies very loosely and often at the whims of the judge. Oh wait a minute, I guess that applies to any court. :mrt:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Ramin,
I spoke to "Subaru Steve" about your deal.
He suggested contacting Subaru of America regarding you situation.
He has seen it happen where they will do some type of split of the repairs.
It doesnt cost anything to try.
Let me know if you would like some help on this deal.
Tom
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Tom Berry wrote:Ramin,
Tom
yeah, i've heard a lot of "we'll pay for the motor, you pay for the labor" type of solutions.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

This has to have come up before. If you could find out how others have made out you could make a better choice. Check with the major Subaru forums to see if there's any info out there. Maybe they give in easily if sued...especially if they lose sometimes and consider it really bad publicity.

My neighbor put a big yellow lemon on his door and parked daily in front of the dealership. They tried to set the police on him and failed. They caved. But this was Dodge, not Subaru.

BTW, I think San Diego refuses to post last names maybe for this very reason. Worth considering?
Ramin Beizaie
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 301

Post by Ramin Beizaie »

Tom Berry wrote:Ramin,
Tom
Tom, thanks. Yes, I already have a case with SOA. I believe the point of denial is coming more from the ecu tuning device than from the autoX. It seems as soon as they detect that, they immediately blacklist the car and won't budge. I turned blue in the face explaining to them the tuner was only there for datalogging, even offered to take it in and demonstrate to them that the installed tune is stock. No change in their position. I am still trying to get some sort of goodwill/splitting deal from them. Everyone is still talking and courteous - at least for the time being. Thanks again for your advice, I will be sure to PM you if/as I need help for parts and a mechanic referral.

EDIT: car is at 46k miles, powertrain warranty goes (went?) to 60k.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Ramin- explain to them that this is a well known issue with the 08 STi. Link them to threads on Nastysock if need be. They are screwing with you. Most 08 Sti owners are on their 2nd or 3rd motors and it is well documented.

Also, if they do not budge, work with Tom. You'll not get better assistance anywhere.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I would ask about other Suby driver's experience on the NASIOC Motorsport forum ... as opposed to the local S. CA forum: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vikram Kirby
Car#: 703

Post by Vikram Kirby »

I think the PR take on this is a good one. There was a long history of Subarus in my family growing up (New England/Mid-Atlantic) and I've often thought about a WRX as a daily driver...this is the sort of thing that makes me think about other marquees (and sigh that both Honda and Subaru appear to be moving further and further from caring about the enthusiast community.)

Hope something good happens for you...
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Bill Martin wrote:
BTW, I think San Diego refuses to post last names maybe for this very reason. Worth considering?
Not sure why names matter... There is nothing in a set of results that proves the car that was autocrossed, is the car that was brought in for service.

Fight it, go up the next rung of the subi ladder.
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Bill Martin wrote:
Not sure why names matter... There is nothing in a set of results that proves the car that was autocrossed, is the car that was brought in for service.

Names may or may not matter for proof, but certainly names matter when you google the person and the car. And some car companies do that.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Randy Chase wrote:
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Bill Martin wrote:

Names may or may not matter for proof, but certainly names matter when you google the person and the car. And some car companies do that.
Names matter and can easily be correlated to action pictures which are also available. We really should be using alias.

However, the issue in this case appears to be the electronic device and not really autocross.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Ramin Beizaie

Post by Ramin Beizaie »

I would like to know, why is this link available without any sort of login or password? I literally googled my name and there it is...

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/C ... 10_raw.htm
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Ramin Beizaie wrote:I would like to know, why is this link available without any sort of login or password? I literally googled my name and there it is...

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/C ... 10_raw.htm
Because google's search spiders are very good at getting to content. You need to login to get to the results on the forum, but the sites they are stored on manage their information differently. Your very unique name also makes it very easy to search for you.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

It is common practice in many SCCA regions as well as for national level events to publish results publicly.
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:... Show the adverts for the SCCA membership (even if that program was discontinued). Look for any performance related advertising. Show performance related parts and accessories sold by the dealer...
Not to mention SOA demoed the later gen STi at a timed Solo event. Even had Ken Block driving it. There seems to be a legal conflict if SOA is the one denying the claim.

Mako has pics.
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

John Stimson wrote:It is common practice in many SCCA regions as well as for national level events to publish results publicly.
The SD region used to only publish the last name initial.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Richard Jung wrote:
John Stimson wrote:It is common practice in many SCCA regions as well as for national level events to publish results publicly.
The SD region used to only publish the last name initial.
Same with BMWCCA-LA and SD chapters.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Note the difference between the words "common" and "universal".
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No time for pride ... use your result to your advantage! Tell them that obviously you weren't pushing the car very hard! :mrgreen:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Mako Koiwai wrote:
No time for pride ... use your result to your advantage! Tell them that obviously you weren't pushing the car very hard! :mrgreen:
You know, I thought it. Next I thought, why did he post my worst result of the year....
But I'm encouraged by this post from Mako... It shows that somebody in the region has less filter than I do.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Oh I 2X thought about it ! ... but if there ever was the case to say it, it was for this thread. :gpower:
Collin Webster
Car#: 901

Post by Collin Webster »

The asian automotive companies are my clients, and all have a very active call center. The sales executives of those companies review the call center logs, and they regularly over-ride the regional managers. Loot up Subaru's corporate number for the US and start making a beef. They did, after all, give you an SCCA membership with the car.

Cheers,
Collin
Jeff Shyu wrote:less logical, but sometimes more successful approach, is to appeal to the public relations department.

i know on the Mazda community, there were several denied warranties (and these ones had much greater justification for denied service - turbo tweak, fuel / air, race motormounts, etc, etc) that were at least partially honored after pleading with the PR people. i'm sure the underwriters love to deny claim, but sometimes, the appearance of good will amongst car enthusiasts of a marquee is more important to the company, than saving a few grand.

things like "the new subie 2.5 motor is a POS, I didn't do any modification to the motor, and it blew at an auto-x, now subaru is denying claim. BEWARE, your warranty is only good if you drive around like a grandma".. has a way of becoming popular myth which car companies work hard at avoiding.
'06 Mazda MX-5 Miata - STR Starting Point
'08 MazdaSpeed 3 STU - FWD basket case
- The loosest nut in my cars is still the one behind the wheel.
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Collin Webster wrote:The asian automotive companies are my clients, and all have a very active call center. The sales executives of those companies review the call center logs, and they regularly over-ride the regional managers. Loot up Subaru's corporate number for the US and start making a beef. They did, after all, give you an SCCA membership with the car. Cheers,
Collin
Jeff Shyu wrote:less logical, but sometimes more successful approach, is to appeal to the public relations department.

i know on the Mazda community, there were several denied warranties (and these ones had much greater justification for denied service - turbo tweak, fuel / air, race motormounts, etc, etc) that were at least partially honored after pleading with the PR people. i'm sure the underwriters love to deny claim, but sometimes, the appearance of good will amongst car enthusiasts of a marquee is more important to the company, than saving a few grand.

things like "the new subie 2.5 motor is a POS, I didn't do any modification to the motor, and it blew at an auto-x, now subaru is denying claim. BEWARE, your warranty is only good if you drive around like a grandma".. has a way of becoming popular myth which car companies work hard at avoiding.

They only gave out SCCA memberships back in 2002-and maybe 2003, for sure with 02 WRX's. I received one myself with my 02 WRX wagon.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Ramin Beizaie

Post by Ramin Beizaie »

Hey Pete, thanks for not saying "I told you so." :oops: