No
83%

Total votes: 35

Webster Jessup
Club: CASOC
Car#: 122

Class Specific Sub-Forums

Post by Webster Jessup »

I propose class specific sub-forums. They could be placed under "Solo Talk". If possible, just list them under Solo Talk as hyperlinks paragraph style, so It doesn't waste so much room. I don't know why other forums don't take advantage of this.

SCCA Forums do have this, but the forums are just the general classes.

Please discuss.

Also maybe only create a sub-forum upon request, so it keeps the list down.

*EDIT
This is the sub-forum style I was referring too. Easy to see all the sub-forums and doesn't get in the way. Ignore the red circles.

Last edited by Webster Jessup on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: Class Specific Sub-Forums

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Webster Jessup wrote:I propose class specific sub-forums. They could be placed under "Solo Talk". If possible, just list them under Solo Talk as hyperlinks paragraph style, so It doesn't waste so much room. I don't know why other forums don't take advantage of this.

SCCA Forums do have this, but the forums are just the general classes.

Please discuss.

Also maybe only create a sub-forum upon request, so it keeps the list down.

I vote no. SCCA forums has the whole country to draw from and their sub-section related forums are still fairly dead, just he occasional hot topic or event specific chatter. Splitting up the user base doesn't do anything but make it less likely people will talk. Make a thread about the class you wanna talk about, if it's got any interest it will stay at the top.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

I agree with Aaron...just post on a case-by-case basis. If the question/comment resonates with people, the thread will take off.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

agreed. no dilution of the forums as we're just one section (autocross) of one region.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

I vote no. But for a reason no else has brought up.

There are many with a little, or no, class in our group (Mr. Oakbeach comes to mind... ;-)); where would they play?
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Bill Bill Bill.... I was just thinking how we probably shouldn't spend the awards banquet poking fun at Schenker. I'll have to re-evaluate.

You wouldn't want class specific. You'd want Hierarchy sub-forums. Stock, SK, SP, ST, P&M's, SM, CST/CSM, FJ. But I just don't see the need. I do regularly check the ST forum on SCCAFORUMS, and its generally disappointing.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

I vote yes. I think it's a great idea. It absolutely doesn't cost anything to implement. Like Web said, the section can be created as requested.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

No. What Aaron said.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

T. Osifeso wrote:I vote yes. I think it's a great idea. It absolutely doesn't cost anything to implement. Like Web said, the section can be created as requested.
Just because something costs "nothing" to implement, doesn't mean it should be implemented.

We have enough subforums for the user-base already. Just look @ Solo Talk: 1st page has posts going back to December (there is no need to further divide this subforum); Public Rules Discussion (where other potential class concerns can be addressed) goes back to 2008 on the first page. It only really makes sense to split the forum up further if posts are getting pushed several pages w/in the same day because so many threads are going on.

Even some car/make specific forums I frequent where the members range from 60,000 - 200,000+; once the forums started creating sub-forums for every type of engine, 20+ types of "advertiser specials" categories, etc... it usually creates more hassle for the majority of users to check than it helps.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Not sure what you are rambling about Quoc. Again it cost nothing to implement. I think it's a great idea, you think it's a bad idea, end of conversation don't give me a darn lecture :)

Anyway the mob has already spoken!
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Giovanni Jaramillo

T. Osifeso wrote:Again it cost nothing to implement. I think it's a great idea, you think it's a bad idea, end of conversation don't give me a darn lecture :)
Actually it does cost something....man hours. Specifically Aaron's time. And posting this idea out in the open is good but for it to be considered it has to be brought by the OP (original poster) to his/her club rep, and then brought to the committee meeting by the club rep, then voted on, etc...

And what QV said is right. We don't have 1/10th of the traffic of major forums to justify the implementation. A good suggestion but based on the numbers (i.e. of posts) the suggestion doesn't warrant the implementation.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

I think I didn't make myself clear enough. Gio, I don't care what you think or how you feel about the suggestion. I think it is the greatest idea ever. But what does it matter, I don't own the forum but I will express my opinion and will not be bullied away. }:)

I'm between runs in willow springs and have plenty of time, or you can accept that just like you, I can have an opinion too.

Time to race! I'll check back in a little bit :)
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

T. Osifeso wrote:Not sure what you are rambling about Quoc. Again it cost nothing to implement. I think it's a great idea, you think it's a bad idea, end of conversation don't give me a darn lecture :)

Anyway the mob has already spoken!
You wrote why you thought it was a great idea, & I wrote why I thought it was not a great idea. It was not a lecture. I suppose I went into more detail than I normally would because of the many forums I've seen where the administrators make the user-experience worse overall from going overboard and adding or not adding features simply because they can without carefully thinking about the whether or not the changes would actually provide any benefit. Blame it on the Human-Computer Interaction specialization courses I took.

If you want a lecture I can prepare slides & a 10-minute presentation on the pro's & con's of adding such a sub-forum & provide potential costs of implementing something that "costs nothing to implement". :twisted:
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Wow, Theo's feelin' his oats! He's bobbin'; he's weavin'. Did you drink a few Red Bulls before going to the track, or is it the red mist? :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mike Kazmierczak
Car#: 227

Post by Mike Kazmierczak »

I believe Theo is sponsored by Monster energy drink... :thumbup:
Last edited by Mike Kazmierczak on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

PhpBB, freeware with point and click sub section creation interface, presentation my ass.

I'm bored of this already. Plus I took first place so I'm mellow now :)

Hi Kurt and Mike! I'll play nice now :)
Last edited by Theo O. on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Jaramillo

T. Osifeso wrote:I think I didn't make myself clear enough. Gio, I don't care what you think or how you feel about the suggestion. I think it is the greatest idea ever. But what does it matter, I don't own the forum but I will express my opinion and will not be bullied away. }:)

I'm between runs in willow springs and have plenty of time, or you can accept that just like you, I can have an opinion too.

Time to race! I'll check back in a little bit :)
Absolutely no one is bulling you, but you seem to want to play the role of the victim. No one is discounting your opinion, as the original poster's suggestion. You seem to not take criticism well. QV and I just pointed out the "cons" of the suggestion.
Kurt Rahn wrote:Vr is it the red mist? :lol:
Definitely the RED MIST
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Victim??? Lol. I'm an outright aggressor. If I own this forum I would ban myself by now :)

Gio, I'm still curious as to why you feel the need to "criticize" me or why you think I would care.
Last edited by Theo O. on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovanni Jaramillo

T. Osifeso wrote:Victim??? Lol. I'm an outright aggressor. If I own this forum I would ban myself by now :)
Yeah that RED MIST got to you man. Deep breath..............ahh.. Feel better now?

Good. :)
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

In case anyone miss the insults directed at me
http://www.urbandictionary.com/iphone/# ... red%20mist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

red mist vs inflated egos ... Lol
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

T. Osifeso wrote:Victim??? Lol. I'm an outright aggressor. If I own this forum I would ban myself by now :)
ROTFLMAO. Are you the same mild-mannered dude I know, or is this really your evil twin? You musta had a helluva track day!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Morgan Trotter
Car#: 61

Post by Morgan Trotter »

Did you step on a land mine or something?
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

I think it's something in the water :) Quoc and I chatted at the track today in case anyone think this is anything more than Internet entertainment :twisted: